American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Happy Birthday To Us

DennyG

I just now realized that it was August 1, 2006 when Becky sent the official launch announcement for this forum and a day later Jennifer posted more details and login instructions. Of course, she and Pat had been tuning and testing for some time before that. Then on August 9, a year ago this Thursday, the inbound lanes of the American Road Yahoo Group were closed down and all the action moved here. We missed the forum start up anniversary (and it's a little fuzzy anyway) but not the throwing of the big switch. So what say, folks? How about a little birthday party in the chat room? Becky? Jennifer? Pat? Maybe eat a slice of e-cake and blow out a cyber-candle.

I just now realized that it was August 1, 2006 when Becky sent the official launch announcement for this forum and a day later Jennifer posted more details and login instructions. Of course, she and Pat had been tuning and testing for some time before that. Then on August 9, a year ago this Thursday, the inbound lanes of the American Road Yahoo Group were closed down and all the action moved here. We missed the forum start up anniversary (and it's a little fuzzy anyway) but not the throwing of the big switch. So what say, folks? How about a little birthday party in the chat room? Becky? Jennifer? Pat? Maybe eat a slice of e-cake and blow out a cyber-candle.

How about we all gather in the American Road garage, kick a few tires, swap a few lies (like how big that moose we almost ran over) and talk about 2-lane highways.

Sounds good to me. :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

8 or 9 PM EST seems a decent compromise between between west coast day jobs and east coast bed time.

I'd say the 9 PM is generraly best as west coasters will be home from work and east coasters will have had their dinner!

BTW, if I don't show up it will be because I am in the old west where the telegraph is the latest technology. I can't count on that new fangled wireless thing in Shaniko, Wasco or Dufur...but I will check when possible. If I miss the grand affair, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the "PIONEERS" and the "NEWBIES (like me)!"

Keep the Show on the Road

Oh, duh. They did teach me to read back in engineering school, I swear. I'll join in Thursday at 9 if the stars align right.

9 Thursday nite - what time zone we talking here, please.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

9 Thursday nite - what time zone we talking here, please.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Eastern. So that's probable 8:00 for you Memphisians (Memphisites?).

It looks like Becky's planning on being there but don't know about Thomas, Jennifer, or Pat. Hello, Bremers? mobilene will be there and we might get at least some dots and dashes from KtSotR.

I'll be there with a cake from Long's Bakery.....since they did so well with the donuts for the Saturday garage meet. :) And yes, Long's is on the former DH and US 136, for those of you playing the American Road Home Game. I don't think I'll be anywhere else but inside Thursday night, as it'll be up in the upper 90's in the Circle City, so there won't be too much activity outdoors except escaping from it!

Get yer hot do-nuts here!: http://tinyurl.com/23wwkd

Eastern. So that's probable 8:00 for you Memphisians (Memphisites?).

It looks like Becky's planning on being there but don't know about Thomas, Jennifer, or Pat. Hello, Bremers? mobilene will be there and we might get at least some dots and dashes from KtSotR.

Thank you - and that's Memphians, by the way. :lol:

Hudsonly,

Alex B

Great chat last night, and many thanks to all who joined us! It was a lot of fun and good conversation!

For those who weren't there, I made another cake...have a slice of birthday cake! :)

That was a good time. And the cake was tasty, too. But I understand that Pat the Party Animal :happyguy: was still going long after I left.

Quite true. I had to make sure the place got cleaned up or else we would've lost our deposit. :cheers2:

Quite true. I had to make sure the place got cleaned up or else we would've lost our deposit. :cheers2:

Thanks Pat and All involved. It was a great party. Sorry I arrived late, but it has been a hectic week. Thanks for cleaning up after us slobs, and the cake was tasty. I was a little looped from the beverages, but my designated driver got me home safely.

Thanks Pat and All involved. It was a great party. Sorry I arrived late, but it has been a hectic week. Thanks for cleaning up after us slobs, and the cake was tasty. I was a little looped from the beverages, but my designated driver got me home safely.

I hadn't had as much "virtual" fun since KC and I had a virtual Christmas party a few years back. We sent each other gifts, and then, with digital cameras took pictures of ourselves opening the presents and sending them to each other on the IM page. It as a hoot.

Thanks, Denny, for the best idea you've had in years - and thanks the American Road gang for giving us a place to get together and get to know each other.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

aka Aunt Hester

Okay, how stupid am I, I put this in my calendar for tonight!. So here I was chatting with myself. Duh!

Anyway, Happy Birthday, AM Road Forum! AM Road is still moving strong.

Sorry, I missed the e cake, Once again too busy to even schedule the correct time on stuff. 9th or 10th - I guess I have my calendar totally messed up. Maybe I need a road trip on an American Road to sooth the nerves and slow down. I have been on fast forward since a great road trip on 66, 85, 270, 50, 287 and 40, back in June. It is definitely time.

Becky, Thom, Johnnie Meier, Dick Bublitz and forum gang - keep up the good work and keep it real on the two lanes and American Roads!

Have a great weekend,

<_<

66 Willy

Dave Willman

Aurora, CO.

So here I was chatting with myself.

On the way to the Clinton, I stopped by Erick. Harley & Annabelle did two songs just before I left. One was a rousing "Get Your Kicks..." and the other was "What a Difference a Day Makes". :lol:

Sorry we missed you last night. Check in here when you can and I hope you make it to the 66 fest in Litchfield next year.