American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Site Not Remembering Me

mobilene

In the past week or so, I keep having to re-login to this site, both at work and at home. The site doesn't seem to be remembering me. I have cleared my cookies a couple times at work, but not at all at home, so I'm not sure why this would keep happening. Anyone else experiencing this?

In the past week or so, I keep having to re-login to this site, both at work and at home. The site doesn't seem to be remembering me. I have cleared my cookies a couple times at work, but not at all at home, so I'm not sure why this would keep happening. Anyone else experiencing this?

Jim,

Some people are unforgetable - some are just forgetable.

I had that problem for about a week about 2 weeks back. Then one day it just started saving my login and so far has been ok.

But, then again, we all know computers are weird.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

In the past week or so, I keep having to re-login to this site, both at work and at home.

It's been happening to me for the past month or so. I thought it was normal. I use 3 or 4 different computers, so I just figured that some of my cached credentials had timed-out. It never happens on the same day, though.

Chris

I have constantly experienced the same thing since the switch over. I figured it was related to how my network at home and on the road assign a number to the computer (the term escapes me but my router assigns the id automatically, and it may change between log ins...I don't know!! B)

Don't take it personally...we still love you!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Well, I find it happens only when I use Mozilla as my browser at work. When I use Internet Explorer either at work or at home, it doesn't happen. Maybe we can summon new AR IT whiz Guy Cook on this one??

I have been having the same problems off and on for awhile now. What I seem to notice is that if I access the AR site from the same computer consecutively it remembers who I am. If I move to another computer I have to log in again. Is it possible that the IP address is being cached with the logon credentials? Maybe the flux capacitor needs cleaning?

Roadhound

I have been having the same problems off and on for awhile now. What I seem to notice is that if I access the AR site from the same computer consecutively it remembers who I am. If I move to another computer I have to log in again. Is it possible that the IP address is being cached with the logon credentials? Maybe the flux capacitor needs cleaning?

Roadhound

Roadhound,

I think you are right. I am at the same IP address (that is the term I couldn't recall) as last night, and all is OK. I think what happens is when you change computers, change locations, or your router assigns a new IP address, it requires a new log in. My bank has a similar "security" feature. It is now up to 30 security tests for me, and growing.

Hope all goes well with you!

Dave

Ok, it happens when you change computers.

Next observation - what about it happens on the same computer, as I said earlier, for a couple of weeks. Then all of a sudden, one day, it remembers the log-in, as it did before.

Me thinks one of them gremlins be at work.

In any event it's a minor inconvience - except if you're like me and have trouble remembering where you live if your gone more than 2 days. Trying to remember login names and passwords can be trying at times.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I had the problem of not being recognised on the same computer with the old software for about a month. Then, like Alex, one day it just started remembering me.

I would visit the board on average every two days at school, and I would have to log in every (or almost every) time. When I would go home every two weeks, it would remember me every time. I was using (and still use) the Opera browser both at home and at school. Those gremlins get around.

If you have trouble remembering names and passwords, might I suggest Opera? There is a feature called "Wand" that remembers names and passwords. The only problem I have had so far is that some sites require a visitor to use Internet Explorer or Netscape just to view the site.

Tracy

In any event it's a minor inconvience - except if you're like me and have trouble remembering where you live if your gone more than 2 days. Trying to remember login names and passwords can be trying at times.

That's what Post-It Notes under the keyboard are for. I use to put them on the side of my monitor but ever since I got a flat screen there's not enough room there.

• 2 months later...

Hi Kids,

Remember me? I popped in a few times last year I think it was... I still do now and then just to read some of your road stories.

I have been running IPB forums since before IPB even became IPB, back in the Ikonboard days. I believe your cookie settings may be the reason why the board is not "remembering people". However, the latest version I am familiar with is IPB 2.1.7 as after that I haven't been keeping up with the updates anymore. Assuming that this part of it has not changed all that much, which it may have but here goes anyway, open your ACP and go to the TOOLS & SETTINGS tab, and in the list of System Settings find and open Cookies.

On that page (assuming it hasn't changed all that much since 2.1.7) you should see three fields. The first one should be labeled Cookie Domain. In that field type: .americanroadmagazine.com. The second field should be: Cookie Name Prefix. You can make this just about anything you like, but I would suggest something short like am_road_cookie_. The trailing _ is optional, but for clarity I think it's important, so I recommend you add it there for when someone sees the cookie on their system they can readily see what it is when they look in it. The third field is: Cookie Path. I always leave this field blank.

Press the Update Settings button to save the changes and hopefully your board's memory will have improved. :P

By the way, what happened to your old forum skin? It should have been easy to update along with the new version...

I read it and peeked to see what you were talking about but I consider my administrator position to be mostly honorary and never got around to quizzing the real admins (Guy, Becky, & the Bremers) about it.

So did anyone try my suggestion? Has anyone even read it?

Hello? Hello? Hello? Is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone at home? :P

Hi Gang,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It's been a pretty hectic summer.

In the future, please don't hesitate to contact Pat, Jennifer, or myself directly. If there is an urgent concern, suggestion, etc. feel free to PM or email me.

Anyway, this one is beyond my technical abilities (which are limited) so I'm turfing this to our webmaster, Guy Cook. One of us will keep you apprised on this situation.

Thanks much!

We do appreciate your input on how we can continue to improve the Forum and make it the best possible road trip Forum around!

:D

PS: Denny, you're definitely more than an honorary admin! We sure appreciate your help.

Hi Kids,

Remember me? I popped in a few times last year I think it was... I still do now and then just to read some of your road stories.

I have been running IPB forums since before IPB even became IPB, back in the Ikonboard days. I believe your cookie settings may be the reason why the board is not "remembering people". However, the latest version I am familiar with is IPB 2.1.7 as after that I haven't been keeping up with the updates anymore. Assuming that this part of it has not changed all that much, which it may have but here goes anyway, open your ACP and go to the TOOLS & SETTINGS tab, and in the list of System Settings find and open Cookies.

On that page (assuming it hasn't changed all that much since 2.1.7) you should see three fields. The first one should be labeled Cookie Domain. In that field type: .americanroadmagazine.com. The second field should be: Cookie Name Prefix. You can make this just about anything you like, but I would suggest something short like am_road_cookie_. The trailing _ is optional, but for clarity I think it's important, so I recommend you add it there for when someone sees the cookie on their system they can readily see what it is when they look in it. The third field is: Cookie Path. I always leave this field blank.

Press the Update Settings button to save the changes and hopefully your board's memory will have improved. :P

By the way, what happened to your old forum skin? It should have been easy to update along with the new version...

As it is written, so it has been done. Thanks for that information, Been a 'fun' week,....

Guy

As it is written, so it has been done. Thanks for that information, Been a 'fun' week,....

Guy

Axel, Becky, and Guy, and Denny, even though he disclaims credit,

Thanks for fixing a small irritant! Thanks to Axel for taking the time and effort to offer the fix, thanks to Denny for stepping up, thanks to Becky for (as always) picking up the ball and saying and doing the right thing, and thanks to Guy for applying the fix.

Axel, I not only read your message, I went back and looked at your earlier posts, and recall most of them. I think we joined about the same time.

Welcome back, and I hope you are still enjoying the road!

Dave

I just had to log on again. This has happened to me a couple of times before also.

Does this mean that there is still a problem? Let me know the details please and I'll have Guy try to fix.

Thanks everyone for your input and patience as we work on the technical issues.

Best,

Becky

• 1 month later...

If anyone is still having problems, it sometimes helps to delete the old cookie set by the board and have the board make a new one. On the index page near the bottom of the page just above the "Board Statistics" box, you will see a link labeled "Delete cookies set by this board". Clicking on that link will delete the old cookie on your computer, and log you out. When you log back in again make sure you've checked the "Remember Me" box, and the next time you open the forum you will still be logged in. (Assuming of course that you didn't log out when you left the last time you were here.)

:)

Edited by Axel Slingerland

Welcome back, and I hope you are still enjoying the road!

Hi Dave,

Thanks. And I am. Sort of... It's been a wonderful year, but I didn't think it would be. I'm diabetic, and a couple of days after last Christmas I went for an A1c test and the results were horrible. It was 10.4%, when the previous one had been 10.3%. That's a percentage of how much of my blood had "Glycosylated". My Doctor made a comment about it that kind of shook me up a bit. He simply said "It's been nice knowing you" and left it at that.

Add to that the fact that my Mother and older Sister had both died of diabetic complications at age 52, and my 52nd birthday was less than a month later that served as a wake up call. If I didn't do something I would end up joining them in the graveyard. I didn't care for that idea very much so I decided it was time to get with the program.

I started eating a more balanced high protein, low sugar, low fat, low carb diet, and riding my bicycle every day. I started losing weight almost immediately, so my Doctor cautioned me not too do too much too fast. He said I should not "starve my nerves". I have neuropathy in my feet and he said if I did that I would regret it, so I should limit it to losing about 3 to 5 pounds a week. I had been riding about 15 miles every morning and losing about 10 pounds a week, so I cut back to 7 miles a day. And that worked. I have been losing 5 pounds a week most of the time. Sometimes I go back up a bit and then have to make up for it later. When I started riding every day I weighed 310 and I've lost 45 pounds. Now I weigh 265.

I just went for my last A1c test about a week ago. This time it was 6.4%, just 1\10th of a point above the high end of what the lab that does my blood work calls the "Normal Range". That is the best it's been since I was diagnosed as a diabetic three years ago. My average blood glucose was in the 250 to 300 range this time last year. Now it is in the 80 to 130 range. On January 16th I will turn 53, and it looks like I will live to see it after all. Yeehaw! :P

Does this mean that there is still a problem? Let me know the details please and I'll have Guy try to fix.

Well, I just had to log in again. So yeah, I would say that my solution did not work and the problem is still there. Either that or something changed the cookie settings back to the way they were before, which wouldn't surprise me at all. I've stayed with IPB 2.1.7 for a reason... Every version after it is too quirky and bloated for my taste. Instead of fixing known problems, they just added new ones. Which is not a very good way to "improve" software. :P

Alex,

Well, that is great news! Obviously diabetes is a nasty business, but it sounds like you have it under control. Terrific! It takes a lot of effort!

I have a small technical annoyance. Maybe you can identify a “fix” so I can bring it to the attention of the powers that be (not assuming that you are expected to be the technical advisor! :) ).

The length of time new posts are listed under “View New Posts” seems to have changed (been reduced) with the last new version. The result is that if I view a few new posts, and plan to return to the list later, by the time I return (same day), the list has often been purged.

Dave

I seem to stay logged in for a few days at least. But then I don't recall encountering the "instant forgetting" that others reported.

Good news on your progress in getting that glucose under control. Congratulations.

As for the "new posts" behavior, it's called "Posts since your last visit" at the top of the page and I thought it has always behaved as such. Dave, do you really think it once behaved differently?

I seem to stay logged in for a few days at least. But then I don't recall encountering the "instant forgetting" that others reported.

Good news on your progress in getting that glucose under control. Congratulations.

As for the "new posts" behavior, it's called "Posts since your last visit" at the top of the page and I thought it has always behaved as such. Dave, do you really think it once behaved differently?

Hum…Denny, I don’t see a “Posts Since Your Last Visit” on my screen. Mine just says “View New Posts” Do you use a “special” version? :huh: Can I get a copy?! It sounds like your version addresses you specifically…the Your Last Visit phrase. :P

Seriously, Yes, I really do think it has changed. And I think the behavior is unpredictable. But then maybe nothing has changed, and it’s my behavior that is unpredictable!

Just for the heck of it, I will look at the Invision documentation and see if I can find a fix, or tap into the “special” version! :rolleyes:

Dave

PS: Ah...The work around.....I have solved my "problem!" Instead of using "View New Posts," I can go down to "Get Active Topics" and choose the period I want to look at. Now I'll never miss one of your posts!