American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Seaside, On Us101 On The Oregon Coast

US101 in Oregon is almost entirely a two lane road. The exceptions are through the "larger" towns where it may be widened to a four lane boulevard to handle the traffic and ease access and egress. (The largest town on the entire 400 miles of 101 in Oregon is Coos Bay with a population of 15, 400.)

Seaside, with a population of 6,200 is too small for four lanes, but they do have a middle turn lane! It is the only town with a carousal and a "fun zone." It has a long (Mile and a half) prominade along the waterfront, and a huge sandy beach. It is crowed in season, but the first day of work after New Years is definitely not in season.

It is the quintessential beach tourist town, complete with arcades, merry go rounds, salt water taffy, restaurants, T shirts, and video arcades, not to mention a fantastic beach. It is a great place to visit, and typically overflowing with people.

But you would hardly know the place the Tuesday after New Years. It was almost as quiet as when Lewis and Clark got their salt here during their winter stay just up the coast. The summer crowds are no where to be seen, and the sidewalks are almost deserted. Many of the stores are closed for the week. I rather liked it!

When I was in my teens and twenties, or when the kids were growing up, Seaside was the place to go....plenty to do and lots of people. But a nice quiet walk down an empty main street, or a solitary ride on a merry-go-round is just fine with me in my senior years.

Sheila and I enjoyed the town and the activities that were open, and I might add that the merchants were happy to see us. And we got our room overlooking the beach and the Lewis and Clark "End of the Trail" monument at half the summer rate!

We had a fun stay.

A few photos will tell the story HERE

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=1274&do=view_album&album=128

Another place I remember from my one Oregon visit but there was no "...quiet walk down an empty main street..." to be had on that day. The original Becky Repp recommended Pig 'n' Pancake restaurant is in Seaside and I drove down the street to the Lewis & Clark monument thinking I might park for a peek at a pancake. Not a chance and I was happy to leave the congestion once I got back to 101. It sounds and looks like a January visit would be much more enjoyable than mine in August.

Incidentally, that was the last day I could honestly tell law enforcement agents that I had never met David Paul.

I also remember Seaside from our honeymoon ride down 101. We spent the night there. I too remember the congestion, but our B&B had parking and a very easy walk to the beach & monument so once we were in it wasn't bad. We just kept the car parked and traveled on foot. Speaking of law enforcement, that was the only time I've seen a police officer who was on foot pull over a car a block away and give him a ticket for having a radio that was too loud.

Another place I remember from my one Oregon visit but there was no "...quiet walk down an empty main street..." to be had on that day. The original Becky Repp recommended Pig 'n' Pancake restaurant is in Seaside and I drove down the street to the Lewis & Clark monument thinking I might park for a peek at a pancake. Not a chance and I was happy to leave the congestion once I got back to 101. It sounds and looks like a January visit would be much more enjoyable than mine in August.

Incidentally, that was the last day I could honestly tell law enforcement agents that I had never met David Paul.

Yes, August in Seaside is busy on the weekend! Especially the last Saturday of the month, as that is the date of the annual Mt. Hood to the coast relay race, which ends in Seaside. Unfortunately, that happened to be the day we visited last August!. No P'n'P for us, as there was about an hour wait for a table--ditto for the Astoria location. Both towns were hopping--I'm sure the merchants love the relay race weekend!

(The largest town on the entire 400 miles of 101 in Oregon is Coos Bay with a population of 15, 400.)

And, another slight piece of trivia about Coos Bay ... it is one of a few towns mentioned in Ray Stevens' 'The Haircut' song. ;)

BTW, did you happen to stop at the Bliss Diner in Florence OR?

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Nothing could be finer" __ Girls Next Door __ 'Slow Boat To China'

BTW, did you happen to stop at the Bliss Diner in Florence OR?

Yo, Bro,

Would I have forgotten my commitment to stop the next time I was on the Coast? No way!

Sheila and I had eaten lunch before we got to Florence, but I stopped in the middle of the road and said, "I have to get some photos for a bro" (she didn't know your name, and she asked why I was talking surfer smack :unsure: ).

A pickup behind me took exception to my parking mid lane, but I wasn't to be deterred. The photos follow. Enjoy!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

ARBlissClose.jpg

ARBliss.jpg

Yo, Bro,

Would I have forgotten my commitment to stop the next time I was on the Coast? No way!

*grins*

GOOD!!!!!

Sheila and I had eaten lunch before we got to Florence, but I stopped in the middle of the road and said, "I have to get some photos for a bro" (she didn't know your name, and she asked why I was talking surfer smack :unsure: ).

A pickup behind me took exception to my parking mid lane, but I wasn't to be deterred. The photos follow. Enjoy!

LOL...nice! Hope Sheila doesn't think I'm a crazy nut ;). lol But, that's so cool, though, that you did stop and snap a few pics. Awesome! I can imagine the guy behind you wasn't too thrilled about your choice of parking spot, but dang ... I think you got better interior pictures than I did! Mine were more up close, since I parked in their parking lot, but, I didn't get any from a distance like you did. I THOUGHT about crossing the street, but the time I arrived was right around "rush/dinner" time, and I didn't feel like attempting to dodge traffic. ;) Thanks for taking and sharing the pics, Dave!!!!

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I hope you remember me" __ Our Lady Peace __ 'Somewhere Out There'