American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Adventure Touring Vehicles - What Do You Drive?

hutchman

Jack,

If you are looking at the Matrix, have you ever considered a Pontiac Vibe? Couple guys I work with have them and like them.

http://www.pontiac.com/vibe-2009/

It is the same car as the Matrix. GM (and the domestic industry) needs all the help it can right now. Just thought I'd mention it for consideration.

Jason

I believe I own the lone Vibe in American Road Magazine Forum's fleet of Matrices and Matrix derivatives and I'm quite happy with it. Around 34 MPG and enough room in back to sleep occasionally.

I definitely had been considering the Vibe when I ended up buying the Acura TSX used instead. I still admire the Vibe, and actually like the look better than the Matrix. I am glad to hear that it works well for you Denny.

• 1 year later...

Hi All: I drive a car that was on these roads when they were new. A 1919 Hudson 4 passenger Super Six Model "O" touring. Cruises well at 60-65MPH and will top 100mph. Has a flat head inline 288 cid 6 cyl that develops 80 Hp.(A lot for 1919) She cost $2,200 new. (A Ford was $400). This car is all original including paint. The old byways just seem better in a vintage auto. ( This is the same car in my photos posted by Alex Burr in members gallery) We also have a 64' Rambler Classic 660, a 57' Nash Metropolitan, a 65' Jeep Wagoneer and last but not least a 1960 BMW R50 motorcycle. (we are on a limited income and can't afford newer cars) I forgot the 84' VW camper that doesn't run. Mike...

post-13398-127811629357_thumb.jpg

post-13398-127811632548_thumb.jpg

Edited by flivver

Hi All: I drive a car that was on these roads when they were new. A 1919 Hudson 4 passenger Super Six Model "O" touring. Cruises well at 60-65MPH and will top 100mph. Has a flat head inline 288 cid 6 cyl that develops 80 Hp.(A lot for 1919) She cost $2,200 new. (A Ford was $400). This car is all original including paint. The old byways just seem better in a vintage auto. ( This is the same car in my photos posted by Alex Burr in members gallery) We also have a 64' Rambler Classic 660, a 57' Nash Metropolitan, a 65' Jeep Wagoneer and last but not least a 1960 BMW R60 motorcycle. (we are on a limited income and can't afford newer cars) I forgot the 84' VW camper that dosn't run. Mike...

I don't know me Mike - but as I said on the phone the other day traveling 60-65 on wooden (old wooden) spoke wheels does leave me a little on the cool side. I'd sure be checking them suckers every time I stopped somewhere.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, tN

• 4 months later...

Wow! I can't compete with all of your rides for looks, but this big old black beauty was the best road trip ride I ever drove. It floated down the highway, had comfy suede-like fabric seats that you could stretch out on, and it even went off-road a couple times without flinching (I think it sits on a truck chassis). It's an Oldsmobile Delta 88. Does anyone know what year? Here it is parked at a campground beside the Grand Teton Mountains.

Big-black-car.jpg

Andrew Van Winkle

Road Trip Wise

Wow! I can't compete with all of your rides for looks, but this big old black beauty was the best road trip ride I ever drove. It floated down the highway, had comfy suede-like fabric seats that you could stretch out on, and it even went off-road a couple times without flinching (I think it sits on a truck chassis). It's an Oldsmobile Delta 88. Does anyone know what year? Here it is parked at a campground beside the Grand Teton Mountains.

Big-black-car.jpg

Andrew Van Winkle

Road Trip Wise

Not a truck chassis, just the same rear-drive GM B-body platform as the Chevy Caprise/Impala, Pontiac Bonneville, and Buick LeSabre. From your side view shot it could be anywhere from a 1980 through an '85 model. Would have to see the front and/or rear views to narrow it down, as those areas were what got 'tweaked' every model year during that time frame.

• 1 month later...

I've just acquired a new "adventure touring vehicle" although driving it right now involves a little more adventure than I'd like.

val63.jpg

It's a 1963 Valiant in desperate need of a new top. I bought it specifically to drive the Lincoln Highway during its centennial year in a car exactly half as old as the road.

I've just acquired a new "adventure touring vehicle" although driving it right now involves a little more adventure than I'd like.

It's a 1963 Valiant in desperate need of a new top. I bought it specifically to drive the Lincoln Highway during its centennial year in a car exactly half as old as the road.

Beautiful! Don't see a 'V' emblem on the fender, so I assume it's got the 'bulletproof' (and long-running) "slant six"?

My road trip ride used to be a '97 Caddy Sedan de Ville d'elegance - yeah, right - with the infamous North Star engine. However, when I realized I was getting on first name terms with the folks at AAA road service (North Star engines are junk!!! I had the original engine replaced due to a blown head gasket - 2nd engine did the same), I decided it was time for a new ride.

I went out and found a "new" old car - a 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera, V-6, sedan. Turns out to be a great little road trip car - only two things wrong. The drivers seat is a bit to straight up and down for my taste, but it's not all that uncomfortable - I'm just used to having a seat that slopes back a tad. The other is the cruise control doesn't work - but having been brought up driving cars that were built before the days of cruise control (unless you wanted to pull the throttle button out - and who among you young 'uns remember that trick?? - or even know what a throttle button is!!!) not having cruise is ok with me.

The other positive with this car is I'm into "orphan" cars - like Hudson and AMC, so the Olds, being no longer made, fits my lifestyle just fine.

The attached photo is a "publicity" shot with Ole Missy in the background. Not a bad looking little car - and it only cost me $1800. The garage I got it from wanted $2300, but they gave me $500 for the Caddy (I'd a given THEM $500 just to take it off my hands!!!!)

Safe travels everybody and a great year coming up.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

post-349-0-47585900-1294237762_thumb.jpg

Beautiful! Don't see a 'V' emblem on the fender, so I assume it's got the 'bulletproof' (and long-running) "slant six"?

Yep. A slant six with Torqueflite (Guess I'm gonna hafta learn how to spell that). My impression is that the Valiant didn't get a V8 until 1964.

I agree on the "bullet proof". One of the last sources of employment I had, before I decided sitting around enjoying life was better, was mowing lawns for my son-in-law. I hauled around an equipment trailer with 1 riding mower, two big 60" walk behind Toro mowers, a couple of smaller push mowers, plus related equipment, with a 1987 Dodge 1/2 ton with a slant six in it. The miles were up around 150,000. I weighed the loaded trailer one time - it came out to 1600 pounds, fully loaded. Used that rig for 4, 5 years - I will admit that when I sold it for literally nothing to a fellow who wanted to restore it for his son she was getting a tad shaky. But it was still a "go-anywhere-do-anything" truck.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool, Denny ... congratulations!

That'll be a neat vehicle to drive the Lincoln Highway.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * 04.16.2011_DwightILmeet

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Crank up the music" __ Steven Curtis Chapman __ 'Live Out Loud'