American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Dot Declares Pothole Too Perfect To Fill

COLUMBUS, OH—According to a statement released by the Ohio Department of Transportation Wednesday, highway maintenance workers are so deeply moved by the elegant pothole located in the westbound lane of Route 50 that they have decided not to defile its pure and powerful form by attempting to fill it in. "This natural jewel of concrete displacement on an endless stretch of barren highway is too aesthetically pristine to be disturbed," said Ohio DOT director James G. Beasley, . .

Who'da thunk?

... Chris

COLUMBUS, OH—According to a statement released by the Ohio Department of Transportation Wednesday, highway maintenance workers are so deeply moved by the elegant pothole located in the westbound lane of Route 50 that they have decided not to defile its pure and powerful form by attempting to fill it in. "This natural jewel of concrete displacement on an endless stretch of barren highway is too aesthetically pristine to be disturbed," said Ohio DOT director James G. Beasley, . .

Who'da thunk?

... Chris

Chris,

Tell them to come to Washington!!! We have a lot of divinely shaped potholes...or at least we must, judging by the fact that no one is fixing them!

Actually, Washington does a good job of fixing pot holes...but I couldn’t resist the comeback!

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to head up an Ohio Pothole Cruise. Maybe start on US-40 and checkout some of the impressive potholes in the middle of the state before swinging south to pickup US-50 and that Perfect Pothole. If we start near the Indiana border we could head east on one of the other roads so we would be in the westbound lane of Fifty for the big one. How about it, cruisers?

The Onion is a comedy site of parodies and satire. :)

May be, but that pothole's real.

May be, but surely not his quotes!

... said Ohio DOT director James G. Beasley, adding that when he first beheld the pothole he knew he had seen the face of God. "From the delicate lace of cracks running across the radius to the dark and profound depths of the crater below, we must protect this pothole with all of our being. It makes such beautiful use of negative space." Beasley also claimed that it would be an honor for anyone to have their car ruined by such a masterpiece of asphalt.

Well, maybe they did put a few words in his mouth but a number of motorists have reported seeing God as they approached the edge of an Ohio pothole at high speed. Even though the Beasley quote may not be 100% accurate, I'll still depend on the Onion for important stories that just don't make The Daily Show. The time constraints of television just don't permit Jon and his staff to cover everything they'd like.

Not much interest in a Pothole Cruise it seems.

Well in PA we have Archbald Pothole State Park. The hole is 42 feet wide, 38 feet deep! OK, it was formed by a glacier, but still....

Wonder how many places call themselves Pothole Capital of the World?

Edited by bbutko

Well in PA we have Archbald Pothole State Park. The hole is 42 feet wide, 38 feet deep! OK, it was formed by a glacier, but still....

Wonder how many places call themselves Pothole Capital of the World?

Brian,

Out here in Washington we commemorate everything. We even have a Potholes State Park, and a Potholes Lake.

Let the lake be noted especially. If you don’t attend to a pothole, that is what eventually happens in a wet climate! :P Learn more here:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=potholes

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

. . . I'll still depend on the Onion for important stories that just don't make The Daily Show. The time constraints of television just don't permit Jon and his staff to cover everything they'd like.

Not much interest in a Pothole Cruise it seems.

Funny, I'm currently watching "A Daily Show".

We were fortunate to know Jon when he was a Tar Bender at our local Rock Club.

Imagine being served and/or flagged by that character! Choice times I will never forget.

... Chris

We were fortunate to know Jon when he was a Tar Bender at our local Rock Club.
And Jon was fortunate to be in an area where the number of tars that needed bending justified his employment.

I now understand why there was so little interest in an Ohio Pothole Cruise. With states like Pennsylvania and Washington enshrining them in parks, spending time tracking down a few cavities in Ohio hardly seems worthwhile. Anyone interested in an Orange Cone Safari or do you guys have parks for them, too?

And Jon was fortunate to be in an area where the number of tars that needed bending justified his employment.

I now understand why there was so little interest in an Ohio Pothole Cruise. With states like Pennsylvania and Washington enshrining them in parks, spending time tracking down a few cavities in Ohio hardly seems worthwhile. Anyone interested in an Orange Cone Safari or do you guys have parks for them, too?

Lets see...we have the cinder cone, the pine cone, and even the orange traffic cone...but not the Orange Cone

Keep the Show on tne Road!

Dave

Lets see...we have the cinder cone, the pine cone, and even the orange traffic cone...but not the Orange Cone.
Aw, don't fret, Dave. I believe that the orange traffic cone is a subspecies of the Orange Cone so you westerners could have a Cone Cruise, too. Right now, though, since it's probably pretty cold outside, you may want to just do a Virtual Orange Cone Cruise through Kibo's gallery.

If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to head up an Ohio Pothole Cruise. Maybe start on US-40 and checkout some of the impressive potholes in the middle of the state before swinging south to pickup US-50 and that Perfect Pothole. If we start near the Indiana border we could head east on one of the other roads so we would be in the westbound lane of Fifty for the big one. How about it, cruisers?

I'd be interested, as long as we don't HIT any of said potholes! I've hit enough already by accident, much less deliberately seeking them out! LOL

I'd be interested, as long as we don't HIT any of said potholes!
Nope. No spectators. If you're not going to participate, don't bother. B)

Actually, I've sort of relinquished planning for this cruise to Brian or KtSotR who have officially designated state sanctioned pothole parks in their states. Ohio can't compete with that.

Aw, don't fret, Dave. I believe that the orange traffic cone is a subspecies of the Orange Cone so you westerners could have a Cone Cruise, too. Right now, though, since it's probably pretty cold outside, you may want to just do a Virtual Orange Cone Cruise through Kibo's gallery.

Orange cones?? That's the State Flower of Pennsylvania!

The Kibo's gallery is great, thanks Denny.

• 2 months later...

Almost ran through a stop sign on Il-49 several weeks ago while I was trying to avoid more potholes than I could count.

Should be good business for tire realignment places though.

Almost ran through a stop sign on Il-49 several weeks ago while I was trying to avoid more potholes than I could count.

Should be good business for tire realignment places though.

How can we really BELIEVE that this chasm in Ohio is the perfect pothole. Any got a pic? Chris, Brian....anyone? :P

Wow! That is big!

One just a bit smaller here, swallowed my entire pickup just yesterday.

I'd like it back now, please.

You're in luck. I've attached a recent snapshot.

• 1 year later...

I love to pull up old threads!

I read in another old thread where KTSOTR said, "I don’t recall ever having been on that road! That is saying something for a transplanted Californian who drove every road he could find for 25+ years."

Well Dave, I recently drove on a road simply known as "The Old Hwy" that went from Cathey's Valley to Mariposa Ca. While the first few miles are picturesque and smooth, the last ten were so rough I wasn't sure if it was full of holes or covered with mole hills. Needless to say by the time I got to Mariposa every bolt on the truck had rattled loose, including all of my dental fillings!

I love to pull up old threads!

I read in another old thread where KTSOTR said, "I don’t recall ever having been on that road! That is saying something for a transplanted Californian who drove every road he could find for 25+ years."

Well Dave, I recently drove on a road simply known as "The Old Hwy" that went from Cathey's Valley to Mariposa Ca. While the first few miles are picturesque and smooth, the last ten were so rough I wasn't sure if it was full of holes or covered with mole hills. Needless to say by the time I got to Mariposa every bolt on the truck had rattled loose, including all of my dental fillings!

Suey,

Happy to “see” you!!

I looked up the “Old Hwy” on Google. It a sign of good judgment that you took it!!!

Traveling the back roads in the Mother Lode country is usually fascinating, and it has been too many years since I have done it. There are so many stories, and very often old “ruins” to enjoy.

I couldn’t resist looking at the road on Google Earth street view. The further away from Mormon Bar, the narrower the road. It looks like it is almost down to one lane in spots, and clearly doesn’t have a center line. Good stuff.

I note that Stone House is marked on my map. I grabbed a shot of it off Google Earth. I can’t find any description on the web, but it looks old. Did you notice it? It is near the intersection with Old Schoolhouse Road.

ARStoneHouse.jpg

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!