American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

1960s Signs By The Road

mobilene

One of the blogs in my feed reader today led me to this Flickr group:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54177448@N00/...57602078306337/

These are b/w Polaroids of what appear to be freshly installed signs, taken by a sign-company employee in the 1960s. They're from Washington state -- anyone here with experience from that corner of the 48 know any of these locations?

jim

One of the blogs in my feed reader today led me to this Flickr group:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54177448@N00/...57602078306337/

These are b/w Polaroids of what appear to be freshly installed signs, taken by a sign-company employee in the 1960s. They're from Washington state -- anyone here with experience from that corner of the 48 know any of these locations?

jim

Jim,

I definitely recognize the area where the photos were taken! I believe at least one of the signs (Poodle Dog) still exists. I used to buy gasoline at a station across the street from the restaurant. The ones I recognize are from the greater Tacoma area of Washington State. With a little investigation one could probably find several of the sites. I think I also know where South Side Motors is. I think several are along old US99.

Did you see the Flying A station in the background of one? That is the kind of station where I worked during college and the basis for the imaginary American Road Garage.

Maybe I'll take a drive and see which ones I can spot.

Thanks for the tip!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Jim,

I definitely recognize the area where the photos were taken! I believe at least one of the signs (Poodle Dog) still exists. I used to buy gasoline at a station across the street from the restaurant. The ones I recognize are from the greater Tacoma area of Washington State. With a little investigation one could probably find several of the sites. I think I also know where South Side Motors is. I think several are along old US99.

Did you see the Flying A station in the background of one? That is the kind of station where I worked during college and the basis for the imaginary American Road Garage.

Maybe I'll take a drive and see which ones I can spot.

Thanks for the tip!

Keep the Show on the Road!

One give-away is the Citizens Bank bill board - with the "Welcome to Puyallup" across the bottom.. Puyallup is a tad east of Tacoma, WA.

It is interesting to note the comments written on some of the photo's indicating these were "working" photo's rather than, say, just plain shots of the area.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN