American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Our Anniversary Trek To The Land Of The Blues

What a great way to start the day. Your pictures brought back memories of my one visit to Clarksdale. I made it to some of the places you pictured (Ground Zero, Reds) but not some others (I just GOTTA get to Cathead) and I've yet to see the inside of Helena. Your well commented album sure makes me want to head for the delta. Besides the great shots of blues landmarks and the festival, I really liked the next to last shot in the album with the road heading off past the US-61 & 49 signs and the big bale of cotton.

Bummer about the car. I take it that the last photo is of Natalie's new chauffeured limo. Lookin' good.

I can only echo Denny's comments. Great photos and shows what you can do if you have the time.

KC and I only had a day to make the trip from Memphis to Clarksdale, so you're photo show showed us what we missed.

We drove Old 61 from the MS/TN line down to Lula, tho - but from what little I can remember (from 50 years ago) there's precious little left on the old road.

I do need to redrive that again and get some better pictures - somehow I lost the ones I had on my web site travel report. So all I have there is narrative, for the moment.

Thanks again - and we'll just have to try and remember to make the festival next year.

Safe Travels.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

• 4 weeks later...

Since KC and I had a double leg pet transport - bringing a Min Pin and an Aussie sheep dog on the next legs of their trip from a shelter in Texas, toward their new homes in Illinois - from Brinkley to Blitheville, Arkansas, a look at the run sheet told us we'd be coming back to Memphis about 1pm.

Hey, gal, we can stop at Uncle John's Shake Shack for lunch!!! Heard great things about this place, looked it up on the 'net and found rave revues. Ok, we'll stop.

So we dropped off our charges to the next transporter taking them to Sikeston and headed south, mouths drooling over the great burgers awaiting us in Marion. And here's a tip for you travelers coming south on I-55 - you DO take the "64 West" exit, even tho you got to go east on 64 for about 100 yards. There ain't no "64 East" exit - another Arkansas peculiarity. As you exit you will see a traffic light ahead of you and, WOW, signs at the light telling you 64 West is to the right and 64 East is to the left.

Under the overpass - can smell them burgers cooking now. Maybe check it out and see what kind of shakes they got. Roll into - what's this, hey it's Saturday - empty parking lot and sit there a moment looking at a big CLOSED sign. ON SATURDAY at noon-time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, it sure was closed.

So I guess we try it another time.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Since KC and I had a double leg pet transport - bringing a Min Pin and an Aussie sheep dog on the next legs of their trip from a shelter in Texas, toward their new homes in Illinois - from Brinkley to Blitheville, Arkansas, a look at the run sheet told us we'd be coming back to Memphis about 1pm.

Hey, gal, we can stop at Uncle John's Shake Shack for lunch!!! Heard great things about this place, looked it up on the 'net and found rave revues. Ok, we'll stop.

So we dropped off our charges to the next transporter taking them to Sikeston and headed south, mouths drooling over the great burgers awaiting us in Marion. And here's a tip for you travelers coming south on I-55 - you DO take the "64 West" exit, even tho you got to go east on 64 for about 100 yards. There ain't no "64 East" exit - another Arkansas peculiarity. As you exit you will see a traffic light ahead of you and, WOW, signs at the light telling you 64 West is to the right and 64 East is to the left.

Under the overpass - can smell them burgers cooking now. Maybe check it out and see what kind of shakes they got. Roll into - what's this, hey it's Saturday - empty parking lot and sit there a moment looking at a big CLOSED sign. ON SATURDAY at noon-time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, it sure was closed.

So I guess we try it another time.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

Who’d a guessed it. Life just ain’t fair sometimes! :lol:

And now I’m hungry!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Cool photos, Kip. Kind of a cowinkydink - Rev. Payton and his Big Damn Band is from Indianapolis. I don't know Rev. Payton personally, but I briefly met him twice volunteering for our public TV station during the Indy 500 Mini-Marathon. He used to be the Volunteer Coordinator for WFYI, but gave it up when the band got an international tour or something. I had volunteered to help at a water stop during the mini-marathon, since that stop happens to be in Speedway. Pretty cool experience! I never saw the band though.