American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Vintage Motel Guide

Bbutko’s comments on the loss of the Lincoln Motor Court in Cheyenne and roadmaven and beckyrepp’s replies in the Lincoln Highway Discussion section prompt a thought (Yes, I have one, at least twice a day).

Why don’t we start a Vintage Motel (and Meal) Guide? I don’t think it would be helpful to pan dumps, but it would be helpful to share good stays (and eats). The result should be more business and a brighter future for some vintage places.

My wife and I are reluctant to try places that are not listed and described in guides like the AAA Tour Books. We don’t like to ask an owner/ manager to show us a room before we check in, so we miss places that are clean and pleasant, but not rated. If we could look on American Road Forum for recommendations, it would help.

I do know of some vintage places that are absolutely great, but will never be listed in AAA. Maybe we could create a simple rating system for things like cleanliness, noise, amenities, etc.

For example, I know of a place on US 101 in Yachats, Oregon that has an ocean view, is at most 200 yards from the beach, is as clean as a whistle, and goes for under $75 a night with a full kitchen, easy chairs, couch, and dining room table! It is quiet and comfortable. The furniture is vintage 1950’s and there is no telephone or WiFi (Oh Happy Day, use your cell phone.)

It isn’t a true roadside artifact like the Lincoln Motor Court, but it is a sweet stay from the 1930’s. And on the weekend the restaurant down the road has a great meal and a guitar player/ singer straight out of the 60’s.

This may be an old and failed idea, but if it hasn’t been tried, are we game? Any comments?

As a corollary thought…Gees that’s my limit for the day…why aren’t American Road advertisers listed and described on an American Road site…or are they and I don’t know where to look? When I’m on the road with my WiFi I would look up an advertised place and eat or stop there. (You don’t think I carry the magazine back copies with me, do you?).

Just trying to Keep the Show on the Road!

Just wondering if this would by region, by state, by route, or just random. I have eaten at some great vintage places that are not really on a specific route, as much as in a town but not really on the specific travel path such as Route 66 (a cool restaurant in Albuquerque's Old Town comes to mind, using a former ranch bunk house). It is an interesting idea, but it needs to be organized in advance to probably be useful when planning a trip.

Just my personal appraisal. I am truly hoping that this can be developed into a useable resource.

Just wondering if this would by region, by state, by route, or just random. I have eaten at some great vintage places that are not really on a specific route, as much as in a town but not really on the specific travel path such as Route 66 (a cool restaurant in Albuquerque's Old Town comes to mind, using a former ranch bunk house). It is an interesting idea, but it needs to be organized in advance to probably be useful when planning a trip.

Just my personal appraisal. I am truly hoping that this can be developed into a useable resource.

Excellent questions! At the risk of having too many thoughts in one day, I would think that the information should be accessed by route and/ or by city, at least.

I wouldn’t limit the sites to just our already highlighted routes, but even if we did, there would still be plenty of candidates. I think of American Road as about two lane travel, so any vintage place worthy of praise located on a two lane route should qualify….but I’m not hung up on that issue either way.

We just got back from a wonderful three week winter trip on Route 66 and on some of the Old Spanish Trail. Beckyrepp and dennyg offered some terrific suggestions en route, but several times by the time I knew the question to ask, and they shared their insights, I was 200 miles past the town!

We risked the motel blind choice approach once, and the place will never find itself on my list, historic or not! I had to get pliers out of the car to turn on the hot water facet in the sink as the knob was stripped, and when I picked up the phone, the handset stuck to my hand. On the other hand, dennyg and beckyrepp suggested places that we would never have guessed were great, but they turned out to be.

And, while I know nothing at all about the magazine business, I do know that most people don’t carry back issues with them on the road. There are some super places advertised in American Road, but darn, my old brain doesn’t remember what town they are in or their address when I’m on the road.

For example, the last issue had a whole series of ads along US 6 (to me, the Midland Trail) and the next time I am close to the Midland, I will drive it as far as it takes me toward my destination. But I won’t remember many of those great advertisers. And I want to.

Thanks for the reply, and let’s see where it takes us. That’s the best way to Keep the Show on the Road!

So I guess the question is if any of the moderators have a suggestion of how to set up a database of historic inns, motels, diners, and restaurants on this forum that we could check before or while hitting the road...Moderators?

Hello everyone! You have some GREAT suggestions and are asking some GOOD questions.

Since the topic has been raised, I will let the cat out of the bag. We are pleased to let you know that we are working on a motel/diner guide. It is taking some time, however, as we want to do it right. We welcome your input and help in the project. If you have suggestions, experiences, descriptions, photographs, we welcome them. You may e-mail me at becky@americanroadmagazine.com.

At present, you may find this useful - a short list and a brief description of the motels that have been featured in our Memory Motel department is on our site at http://americanroadmagazine.com/memory_mot...mory_motel.html.

Also, I'm happy to let you know that we do have a list of advertisers on our website - it's accessed via the button in the upper left corner labeled "Request Card" on all of our website pages. You will find their phone number and a hot link to their website on the page. You may also fill out the form at the bottom of the page and request information from all of the advertisers directly through us (eliminating the need for contacting each of them individually). The Request Card may also be accessed by clicking on the white banner on the left side of the page saying "Request FREE information from our Advertisers." AND, beginning with the Spring 07 issue, we are including a Reader Request Card in the magazine - where you may request information by simply circling the number correlated to the advertiser on the ad index in the magazine - and return it to us.

We greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts and suggestions. We are always interested in learning how we might best serve our readers.

Dream well and drive safely on the AMERICAN ROAD!

Best,

Becky Repp

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

Hello everyone! You have some GREAT suggestions and are asking some GOOD questions.

Since the topic has been raised, I will let the cat out of the bag. We are pleased to let you know that we are working on a motel/diner guide. It is taking some time, however, as we want to do it right. We welcome your input and help in the project. If you have suggestions, experiences, descriptions, photographs, we welcome them. You may e-mail me at becky@americanroadmagazine.com.

At present, you may find this useful - a short list and a brief description of the motels that have been featured in our Memory Motel department is on our site at http://americanroadmagazine.com/memory_mot...mory_motel.html.

Also, I'm happy to let you know that we do have a list of advertisers on our website - it's accessed via the button in the upper left corner labeled "Request Card" on all of our website pages. You will find their phone number and a hot link to their website on the page. You may also fill out the form at the bottom of the page and request information from all of the advertisers directly through us (eliminating the need for contacting each of them individually). The Request Card may also be accessed by clicking on the white banner on the left side of the page saying "Request FREE information from our Advertisers." AND, beginning with the Spring 07 issue, we are including a Reader Request Card in the magazine - where you may request information by simply circling the number correlated to the advertiser on the ad index in the magazine - and return it to us.

We greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts and suggestions. We are always interested in learning how we might best serve our readers.

Dream well and drive safely on the AMERICAN ROAD!

Best,

Becky Repp

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

Great and Ah Shucks! I should have known that you folks would be way ahead of me...and in the process I strained my thought box to the limit!

The set up you describe sounds to be just what is needed.

I subscribed to American Road before the first edition was published, and you folks just keep getting better and better. I look forward to using the described services on my next road adventure.

Thanks for Keeping the Show on the Road!

• 1 month later...

Since the topic has been raised, I will let the cat out of the bag. We are pleased to let you know that we are working on a motel/diner guide. It is taking some time, however, as we want to do it right. We welcome your input and help in the project. If you have

Great idea. We'd much rather stay in a mom-pop place, but you just never know what you're going to get.

This past June, we stayed at Shawnee Bluff Motel in Lake of the Ozarks, Mo. The price came to $83 including tax and we had a fantastic view of the lake. Complete with that distinctive Ozark stone, no charge.

Later that same trip, returning from the celebration at the Munger-Moss Motel in Lebanon, Mo., we stayed at the Green Acres Motel in Pittsfield for $53 including tax.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Thanks for sharing your experience. These sound like great places! Any photos?

:D

Becky

Great idea. We'd much rather stay in a mom-pop place, but you just never know what you're going to get.

This past June, we stayed at Shawnee Bluff Motel in Lake of the Ozarks, Mo. The price came to $83 including tax and we had a fantastic view of the lake. Complete with that distinctive Ozark stone, no charge.

Later that same trip, returning from the celebration at the Munger-Moss Motel in Lebanon, Mo., we stayed at the Green Acres Motel in Pittsfield for $53 including tax.

Thanks RoadDog for the tips!

I look forward to what becky described. Like you, I'd much rather stay in a unique and charming (clean and quiet) place then another cookie cutter box.

Every little bit helps Keep the Show on the Road while we keep on down that two lane Hhghway!!

• 3 weeks later...