American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Trains, Stamps, & Road Trips

roadhound

Way back in 2007, when this forum was humming with activity, one of my contributions that year was a journey that I took with my son and my father following the Transcontinental Railroad east and the Lincoln Highway back west. The first of five entries from that journey can be found here. On the second day of that trip we found ourselves at the Golden Spike National Historic Site with a couple of replica locomotives out on the tracks. 

Now, in 2019, the US Postal Service has decided to celebrate the 12 year anniversary of that epic adventure by issuing stamps commemorating our visit to that site, or maybe it's the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad, let's not quibble about details.

When we stopped at the Golden Spike National Historic Site, and I took the photo you see below, little did I know that twelve years later that photo would be licensed by the USPS and used as a reference image by  artist Michael J. Deas to create one of the stamps commemorating the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. That one photo more than paid for that entire roadtrip plus I can now claim to be the answer to some very obscure philatelic trivia.

The date of the 150th Anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad is May 10th, 2019, and a celebration is planned at the Golden Spike National Historic Site, not that I needed an excuse for another road trip.

Roadhound

http://rick-pisio.pixels.com
http://www.rwphotos.com

Stamp and reference.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 1:48 PM, Keep the Show on the Road! said:

I don't personally know anyone else who got a photo on a stamp, but this kind of puts you up there with George Washington!! :)

Dave,

I know a bunch of photographers who have had their photos used on the covers of magazines and in books but I don't think any of them has had a photo on a stamp. In regards to George Washington, the only George Washington I ever met was the previous owner of the first house that my wife and I ever bought, way back in 1987. We had to take him and his wife Nancy to small claims court. I've sued George Washington and won, so I can check that off my bucket list. 

5 hours ago, roadtrip62 said:

As a stamp collector, I'll say that is pretty cool!  Congrats!

Roadtrip62,

I have a modest stamp collection and just the thought that I am fortunate enough to have one of my photos connected to a stamp issue is still difficult to fathom. There are a couple
of people that I was close to, that are no longer here, who where avid stamp collectors and I really wish I could tell them about it because I know that they would have been as thrilled as I am. 

As a stamp collector maybe you can answer a question for me. At the ceremony when they issue the First Day Cover I am hoping to have the opportunity to meet the artist, Michael Deas. Does having the artists signature on the First Day Cover enhance it's value in any way? Not that it really makes any difference because I would get it signed on the few that I will be mounting and framing to display and give away to close family and friends anyway.

Rick

• 1 year later...

Sorry I'm so late to reply.  First Day Cover collectors vary, but some would certainly value a cover signed by the artist higher than a blank cover.  Just like comics, sports memorabilia, etc.

- Don

Edited by roadtrip62
I duplicarted content, when I meant to reply.