American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

The Burr Trail Road

Rick,

Your blog entry on the Burr Road is great. As always, the photography is terrific. The whole piece made me long for my 4-wheel days in the early 1970's when I drove my then new Toyota Land Cruiser places I should never have risked in the canyons of southern Utah. Magnificent country!

Population growth in America, and the popularizing of off road travel has increased the “traffic” ten fold, but it hasn't changed the scenery. You lucky guy!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I'll bet that driving the backroads of Utah in the 70's was much more of an adventure than it is today. I've read most of Edward Abbey's books, many of which are set in a time when development was just starting in that region, and I felt that even though there is a lot that has been developed there is still much that is wild and remote. Although, we did get stopped for a paving project going on Notom Road South of Capital Reef and I would expect the unpaved section of the Burr Trail Road to be asphalt in the near future.

If there is such a thing as "Spectacular Scenery Overload" driving the backroads of Utah will do it to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Rick,

Here is a short 1972 video clip made from my old 8mm movie of Elephant Hill in the Canyonlands in my 1970 Toyota Landcruiser. I don't suppose those rocks have changed much in 40 years. That was my father, not me kissing the pavement when we got back on asphalt.

Funny, that Toyota still looks “new” to me. The memory plays little tricks! I recall paying about $4,000 for it.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!