American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Idaho's Scenic Byways Make For Great Spring Road Trips

tournews1

You could spend all summer traveling Idaho's 30 Scenic Byways but I'm guessing most people don't have quite that much time, so I'd recommend you visit http://www.bywaysonline.org/inventory/states/ID or http://www.idahobyways.gov/ to find the one you like. Six of Idaho's scenic byways have received the coveted National Byways designation including the world famous International Selkirk Loop. The loop extends from northern Idaho into British Columbia and NE Washington State, basically surrounding the majestic Selkirk Mountains.

Enjoy a good dose of Lewis and Clark history on the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway from Lewiston across the Idaho panhandle to the Lolo Pass on the Montana border. Every one of the 202 miles is filled not only with beautiful scenery but history, culture and adventure.

Idaho has everything from the deepest river gorge (Hell's Canyon) to the tallest sand dune (Bruneau Dunes St. Park) in North America. I've been all over the USA and I've never seen such a diverse state as Idaho. What makes it even more fascinating is the fact that most people don't even know where Idaho is on a map!

Tournews1,

Idaho is definitely the Gem State, and my enjoyment of Idaho goes back at least 60 years....and is still going strong.

I have enjoyed at one time or another every important road in Idaho and I can say it ranks at the very top of my list for variety and beauty. Whether it is following the trail of the Nez Perce, the Oregon Trail, the first transcontinental auto trip, the early blazed auto trails like the Yellowstone Trail and the National Parks Highway, the City of Rocks, the Sawtooth Range above Redfish Lake, the magnificent west side of the Grand Teton's, the Craters of the Moon....on and on it is just about impossible to beat.

Small towns, real cowboys, quaint lodges, unspoiled wilderness, clean, prospering cities, friendly people, .....what's not to enjoy? Been there...will be back!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I have only driven a few miles through Idaho so far, when I went from Salt Lake City and then to Jackson WY. The return trip to fly home did not include Idaho at all. And between air fare and TSA situations, and the cost of trips, travel may be curtailed for a couple of years for us too. I will continue to research future travel to the area though in hopes of improvements again. It is a beautiful region of our country.

June '09: Idaho State Route 21, from Stanley, across the Sawtooth Range, through Idaho City and on to Boise. A beautifully scenic route, but one of the most 'white-knuckle- trips of my life. Reason? I've never seen so many deer (mule deer, in this instance) on or near a highway. Probably the time of year and the time of day--late afternoon into evening--was part of the reason, but the deer were just everywhere!

When we came upon a freshly-overturned Chrysler Sebring on the side of the road, horn stuck 'on', with a person laying by the car (yes, help was there), needless to say that REALLY put some fear into us. From then on we slowed to a crawl around each and every hairpin curve, straining to see any deer ahead in the fading light.

Luckily, we made it into Boise that night without any wildlife incidents. After damaging one rental vehicle in an animal collision ten years before (Yellowstone, buffalo--who trotted away--1999), I sure did not want another one!