American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Video - Old Us99 Java Jive, Etc. Tacoma, Washington

Short Video of urban US99, the Pacific Highway in Tacoma Washington area. Features the JAVA JIVE, ELEPHANT CAR WASH, ALMOND ROCA, GLACIER MOTEL, POODLE DOG CAFE, PUYALLUP RIVER STEEL BRIDGE, PICK QUICK BETTER BURGERS DRIVE IN, and SWEET LITTLE 16.

The Java Jive was built in 1927 as the Coffee Pot Restaurant at a time the Pacific Highway and newly numbered US99 was in its prime. It got the name Java Jive in 1955 when it became a bar.

The Pick Quick has been around since 1949. There used to be a drive in theater behind it, and the Pick Quick picked up business from its patrons. I bet the Drive In theater snack bar folks loved that!

I said in the live video that I thought the Puyallup River Bridge was built in the 1930's. Not so....it was 1928!!

Jason (Wanderlustjake) wanted some videos to “enhance” his home bound experience. Sheila and I were planning to visit family in Tacoma, not far from home for us, so I thought I would see if I could do a few grab shots of an “unpretty” old road.

By the time it was replaced by I5 in the 1950’s, US99 in Tacoma was an “evolved” 4 land road, through what was a well developed urban landscape. I tried to capture the feeling of the road, as well as the landmarks I know. I added some shots of downtown Tacoma because I wanted to!

No recommendations….but Jason….you can see what you aren’t missing!

Oh I should add, one reason we probably don’t do many videos is that the software to produce them has more bugs than my deck on a summer evening. I resorted to the old faithful Microsoft Movie Maker that comes free with Windows. It worked flawlessly.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Jason (wanderlustjake),

The post has been viewed about 50 times at this point, and about half have clicked to see the video. I consider that excellent! If half the visitors are sufficiently interested to trouble themselves to look at the video, there must be some interest in videos.

I didn’t have the word “video” in the title the first day, but I added it this morning. I’ll be interested if it changes the hit rate.

Some of the gang have viewed the video, but not commented. That suggests they are either in awe, or don’t want to hurt my feelings. I’m thinking they are in awe. :drive1:

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I saw that place on my bicycle tour. It has definitely seen better days. When I passed, it didn't look open. Then, I was also just happy to have gotten to the top of the hill!

Dave,

Thank You very much for posting that! That is excellent medicine for the travel bug. You gave a nice sampling of US99. Looks like you had a great weather, isn't it supposed to be rainy out there? We've never been to Washington state so what may seem mundane is interesting to us. The bridges were interesing in that they didn't square the structure up to the approaches. After watching your video, we decided that we need to pack the video camera for the next trip out too (hopefully that won't be too far in the future). We'll try and share some of the sights that we sometimes find. I think it is great that you got that many hits in that short amount of time, as you said there is a demand out there. Need to keep putting them up and seeing how much more interest is generated.

Thanks Again! Where are we going to next?

Jason