American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Us 40/nr In Western Indiana

mobilene

Encouraged by the Movers and Stakers: Stories along the Indiana National Road film, I'm going to be making two trips along the NR across Indiana.

The first will be tomorrow. I'm collecting my road-trip buddy and we're going to revisit 40/NR in western Indiana. This was the subject of my first-ever official road trip, which was in 2006 -- yes, three years is all the longer I've been doing this! But in those intervening years I have learned a TON, and wish to make the slow journey along the NR again with my new eyes. I know of two brief former alignments I missed last time, and will be stopping in the tiny towns to snap photos unlike last time.

We'll make the trip down the NR in eastern Indiana in the fall, probably.

The western half of the NR is really more interesting from a road perspective, but the eastern half is more interesting from a roadside architecture perspective.

jim

Encouraged by the Movers and Stakers: Stories along the Indiana National Road film, I'm going to be making two trips along the NR across Indiana.

The first will be tomorrow. I'm collecting my road-trip buddy and we're going to revisit 40/NR in western Indiana. This was the subject of my first-ever official road trip, which was in 2006 -- yes, three years is all the longer I've been doing this! But in those intervening years I have learned a TON, and wish to make the slow journey along the NR again with my new eyes. I know of two brief former alignments I missed last time, and will be stopping in the tiny towns to snap photos unlike last time.

We'll make the trip down the NR in eastern Indiana in the fall, probably.

The western half of the NR is really more interesting from a road perspective, but the eastern half is more interesting from a roadside architecture perspective.

jim

Jim,

Sounds like a great trip. The National Road seems to be getting lots of play lately. Good!

I note “LinkBucks” comes up in a banner when I click on the links in your post. No problem at all……but are you getting “rich” whenI follow one of your links? How’s that work….or maybe you aren’t the initiator.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

That LinkBucks thing isn't on my end. Don't know why it's showing up when you click. It's really stinking annoying. If you try to close the "LinkBucks" bar, you get two or three pop-up windows, and when you try to close them, you get several "Are you sure" dialogs. When I try to edit the links, they show up as I put them in - without the LinkBucks thing. Is this something the AR people have added as a revenue path? Hope not, it's pretty invasive.

Yes, I think it's something happening with the forum software.

You are ahead of me but I am going to go ahead with what I wrote before your latest posts:

Shucks, Jim, they say you can make $4,000 plus a month. I thought you might have been on to something.

To experiment a bit, I am going to post a link to my maps site HERE. If it comes up with the Linkbucks banner on top, the bug is on the forum end. If it doesn’t come up with the banner, you may need to do some searching on your end. Does that make sence?

Dave

You are ahead of me but I am going to go ahead with what I wrote before your latest posts:

Shucks, Jim, they say you can make $4,000 plus a month. I thought you might have been on to something.

To experiment a bit, I am going to post a link to my maps site HERE. If it comes up with the Linkbucks banner on top, the bug is on the forum end. If it doesn’t come up with the banner, you may need to do some searching on your end. Does that make sence?

Dave

Jim,

YEP!!! Now my site has a banner for Linkbucks when I get to it from the forum.

Hummmmm!

Dave

Jim,

YEP!!! Now my site has a banner for Linkbucks when I get to it from the forum.

Hummmmm!

Dave

If someone has figured out how to put a banner on every link in the forum, why isn’t it an invitation to subscribe? If everyone who clicked on one of our links would get a tastful promo to subscribe it would produce some results.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Hi Everyone,

I am writing to report that this Linksbucks intrusion was not authorized by us. Denny notified me of this problem late yesterday. We are working with our webmaster, website hosting company, and Invision Power Board to remove this intrusion from our site. I apologize for their unwelcome invasion.

Thank you for your patience as we work through this problem.

Becky

Hi Everyone,

I am writing to report that this Linksbucks intrusion was not authorized by us. Denny notified me of this problem late yesterday. We are working with our webmaster, website hosting company, and Invision Power Board to remove this intrusion from our site. I apologize for their unwelcome invasion.

Thank you for your patience as we work through this problem.

Becky

Good news! The Linksbucks intrusion seems to have been removed from our Forum by the good folks at LunarPages! They've added additional security to prevent something like this from recurring. If you still notice a problem, please let me know.

In the future, please do not hesitate to notify me of any problems such as this on the Forum. Pat, Jennifer, and all the Forum moderators work really hard to try to keep the Forum clean and free from intrusion. Many thanks to Denny for his help in troubleshooting the problem today. I couldn't have communicated with our hosting company if it weren't for his assistance. So, please all join me in thanking Denny for his help.

Best,

Becky

Good news! The Linksbucks intrusion seems to have been removed from our Forum by the good folks at LunarPages! They've added additional security to prevent something like this from recurring. If you still notice a problem, please let me know.

In the future, please do not hesitate to notify me of any problems such as this on the Forum. Pat, Jennifer, and all the Forum moderators work really hard to try to keep the Forum clean and free from intrusion. Many thanks to Denny for his help in troubleshooting the problem today. I couldn't have communicated with our hosting company if it weren't for his assistance. So, please all join me in thanking Denny for his help.

Best,

Becky

Thanks Denny....we love you! ;):P

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Thanks, Becky! Now that I know that you all would not deliberately add such a thing, I won't hesitate to contact directly should it happen again.

I'm back from the trip -- exhausted! I found what I believe to be an old brick alignment of the road; it's now on private property, but I got a good photo of some of it.

More to come.

Starting to blog about the trip.

http://jimgrey.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/ph...road-questions/

Posts to come: An abandoned bridge. Tiny towns and old houses along the route. A bridge on the National Register, restored for pedestrian use. A brick road segment in Putnam County. The sadly decayed town of Brazil. Sights in Terre Haute, including a great neon sign over the Saratoga Restaurant. The end of the road where I-70 was built over it.

Starting to blog about the trip.

http://jimgrey.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/ph...road-questions/

Posts to come: An abandoned bridge. Tiny towns and old houses along the route. A bridge on the National Register, restored for pedestrian use. A brick road segment in Putnam County. The sadly decayed town of Brazil. Sights in Terre Haute, including a great neon sign over the Saratoga Restaurant. The end of the road where I-70 was built over it.

Looking forward to them, birthday boy :) Hope you're having a good one.

heh! Yeah, I'm now the age that is the answer to the Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything!

http://jimgrey.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/st...ened-and-moved/

Remnants of an old alignment around the Marion-Hendricks county line, plus a photo of The Diner and of the old 40 Motel sign, since they're right nearby.

heh! Yeah, I'm now the age that is the answer to the Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything!

http://jimgrey.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/st...ened-and-moved/

Remnants of an old alignment around the Marion-Hendricks county line, plus a photo of The Diner and of the old 40 Motel sign, since they're right nearby.

Quality stuff, Jim! Nice job throughout. Too bad the diner was closed. Not a good sign (the sign was actually great, :) but the fact the diner was closed was a bad omen).

Dave

A brief abandoned alignment with a bridge.

http://jimgrey.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/nature-always-wins/

More good stuff

Yes, it is amazing how fast nature will take a road "back." Someone with talent could describe the process in a nice word picture. Your photos did a good job. Growth from the sides, lifting along the cracks as plants push up, and trees across the right of way.

Keep them coming!

Dave

I was heavily quoted in an article in Sunday's Terre Haute Tribune-Star about US 40 and the National Road.

http://www.tribstar.com/local/local_story_227232002.html

Jim,

Very nice piece! It's practically your life history!! B)

Where did he get his material about you? Off the blog? Interviews?

Dave

A brief abandoned alignment with a bridge.

http://jimgrey.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/nature-always-wins/

Jim, I am enjoying your posts about the NR. I was just wondering about this bridge the other day because I had made myself a "bypass" around Plainfield and was coming up Miles Road at the intersection with US-40 there, and noticed the old bridge and alignment. I thought about pulling over and investigating, but now I don't have to. :)

I like taking US-40 to Terre Haute, but catching it at I-465 and going along Washington Street and through Plainfield can slow me down. The new bypass I am going to start using when I don't have extra time is to take I-70 to IN-267 and then turn left on Hadley Road, which turns into Miles Road, which then catches US-40 west of Plainfield at the bridge you mentioned.

By the way, have you ever taken Cartersburg Road from just west of this bridge from US-40 northwest into Danville? I did that earlier this month, and I thought it was awesome! It's a fun two-lane that you should make a point to travel when you get the opportunity.

Chris

Dave, the reporter found my US 40 writeup at jimgrey.net and e-mailed me. I gave him a phone number and he interviewed me.

Chris, you're right, Plainfield is like a massive speed bump along US 40. I don't find US 40 east of Plainfield to be particularly interesting, so if I lived south I'd use your bypass every time. I live north, and I haven't figured out a good way to bypass the Avon/Plainfield mess. Thanks for the tip about Cartersburg Road; I'll try it sometime.

jim

I was heavily quoted in an article in Sunday's Terre Haute Tribune-Star about US 40 and the National Road.

http://www.tribstar.com/local/local_story_227232002.html

Every time Jim Grey and his college buddies ventured off the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology campus, their treks began on U.S. 40.

If only the cops knew that then :D

Nice article and a nice public "appearance". Something to boost both the city and the road.