American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Earthmate Gps Bt-20 & Pda

Jennifer

At the risk of incurring the wrath of one Road Maven, I'd like to ask if anyone here owns an Earthmate GPS BT-20? I currently have a Palm TX and I have DeLorme Street Atlas 2008, and transfer maps to it. However, I was thinking of tapping into the Bluetooth capabilities of the Palm and getting a BT-20.

I have no knowledge of GPS and would like to get a sense of using one wirelessly with my PDA...any info anyone has would be appreciated! :)

I'd like to ask if anyone here owns an Earthmate GPS BT-20?

Not exactly... I have an LT-20 which is the USB only (no Blue Tooth) version and I have DeLorme SA 2008. I do not have a PDA.

In the car, I normally use a Garmin Quest and bought the LT-20 when I upgraded from SA 2006 to SA 2008 and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse - less than $30 for the GPS. I've used it a couple of times with my laptop and was quite pleased with it. The Garman Quest is extremely practical in the car but there can be some translation problems in transferring carefully prepared SA 2008 routes to it from the laptop. There have been two occasions where I couldn't sort things out myself and really wanted follow the SA 2008 route so I fired up the laptop+LT-20 combination. It worked great but it's mighty awkward for a crew of one.

The PDA would solve some of the awkwardness and, since it's using DeLorme maps and software, should not have any of the translation issues I see with the Garmin. I doubt that in car visibility and operability are quite as good as a purpose designed unit like the Quest but both are probably much better than the laptop.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of one Road Maven, I'd like to ask if anyone here owns an Earthmate GPS BT-20? I currently have a Palm TX and I have DeLorme Street Atlas 2008, and transfer maps to it. However, I was thinking of tapping into the Bluetooth capabilities of the Palm and getting a BT-20.

I have no knowledge of GPS and would like to get a sense of using one wirelessly with my PDA...any info anyone has would be appreciated! :)

Jennifer,

I have a TX but I broke the screen and have not seen the value to pay the $140 to fix it. If it worked well with the Delorme BT-20 it might be worth it. (Like Denny, the LT-20 works well with my laptop, but there is no way to use a laptop when you are traveling with a passenger.)

So....if you do link the TX and BT-20 successfully, I would really appreciate seeing your report.

Sorry I can't help.

Keep the Show on the Road!

...but there is no way to use a laptop when you are traveling with a passenger.

You're supposed to be traveling with a navigator - not a passenger. :D

I've looked at online descriptions of the Palm TX & the BT-20 and that actually sounds like it might be a good setup. Questions I have are:

• Mobile power for the TX (The BT-20 includes a 12 VDC adapter)
  • Voice output for turns, etc.
  • Outdoor visibility (My lap top is almost unreadable)
  • Operability for driver (e.g., zoom, pan, find. The Quest does this well.)

If the answers were good, it might be a worthy replacement for the Quest. Of course, that won't happen for awhile and by then there will be a whole new catalog.

You're supposed to be traveling with a navigator - not a passenger. :D

I've looked at online descriptions of the Palm TX & the BT-20 and that actually sounds like it might be a good setup. Questions I have are:

• Mobile power for the TX (The BT-20 includes a 12 VDC adapter)
  • Voice output for turns, etc.
  • Outdoor visibility (My lap top is almost unreadable)
  • Operability for driver (e.g., zoom, pan, find. The Quest does this well.)
If the answers were good, it might be a worthy replacement for the Quest. Of course, that won't happen for awhile and by then there will be a whole new catalog.

Reviews at Amazon for the BT-20 with the Palm TX were less than favorable, overall. Since I don't know **anything** about how this works, I'm wondering if I would have to export maps from the desktop software to the Palm myself using SA2008? Would they operate seamlessly?

I am aware of the voice output issue...the Palm has a crappy little speaker in back, but it has a headphone jack and I read that people will use a cassette adapter in the headphone jack to output to their stereo. In lieu of a cassette, you could also use a radio transmitter, though they aren't that great either.

I was writing a note last night when my router decided to go to sleep on me...I was going to mention another GPS that is made to work with a Palm TX. It has all the maps loaded on an SD card.

EMTAC 4.0 Bundle

I also found this one, but I don't know how the map portion works...I'm a total newbie at this, so there's a steep learning curve! I think it might work with other map software (like SA2008?)...but I'm not sure.

Seidio Car Kit GPS for Palm TX

I guess, in considering a GPS, I am looking for a solution to work with the Palm, since I already have that and it is less expensive than a standalone unit. But since I don't know anything about all of this, I hesitate to dive right into the water headfirst....the water is pretty murky to me!

*Added edit: The readability of the Palm TX in direct sunlight might be an issue, but inside a car I don't think it would be).

I'm wondering if I would have to export maps from the desktop software to the Palm myself using SA2008?

There is a "Handheld Export" tab in SA that appears to allow map segments to be selected for downloading to the PDA. This seems quite similar to the way I select maps in Garmin's MapSource for output to the Quest. I assume there is some software included with SA that is installed on the PDA. I guess I have it but, having no PDA, didn't pay much attention.

...another GPS that is made to work with a Palm TX. It has all the maps loaded on an SD card.

EMTAC 4.0 Bundle

The EMTAC 4.0 is interesting but I don't see any features that set it apart. I bet you could preload all the DeLorme maps you want on a $10 SD card. And they'd be...ah... DeLorme maps - familiar and shared with your desktop/laptop.

I also found this one, but I don't know how the map portion works...I'm a total newbie at this, so there's a steep learning curve! I think it might work with other map software (like SA2008?)...but I'm not sure.

Seidio Car Kit GPS for Palm TX

That Seidio device is rather intriguing. It seems to address the mounting, power, and speaker issues. It includes no maps or software but I'm certain that it would work with DeLorme.

I guess, in considering a GPS, I am looking for a solution to work with the Palm, since I already have that and it is less expensive than a standalone unit. But since I don't know anything about all of this, I hesitate to dive right into the water headfirst....the water is pretty murky to me!

Already having the PDA does allow saving some money in putting together a "system" but maybe not as much as it should. Each of the GPS units you've mentioned are in the $150 range and each has its own cons (e.g., the BT-20 relies on the PDA speaker, the EMTAC introduces different maps, the Seidio is tied to the car). Apparently Palm offers its own product (3207NA GPS Adapter Kit), too. Even though it includes maps & software, it likely would work with DeLorme. The EMTAC unit probably would, too.

In looking for the reviews you mentioned (I didn't find them but didn't try too hard, either.) I learned that Amazon has some factory remanufactured Quest units for $190 (new units are $366). This is clearly not the ultimate GPS but it works for me. Some negatives people with other units have mentioned are screen size (it's just 2.2x1.5), lack of street names in spoken directions, need to download maps, and no touch screen. There are certainly others. With the exception of spoken street names, each of those I've mentioned is somewhat based on personal preference. For example, the small screen size makes it less intrusive in the car (My vehicles do not have huge cockpits.) and allows me to mark the location and slip the unit in my pocket when parking the car and hastily heading into a crowd. Don't think that hasn't saved me more than once. For me, the single negative is the slight discrepancies between the Garmin & DeLorme maps. Garmin does have their own routing software and using it would solve that problem. But I consider the Garmin software rather weak so I've chosen what is, to me, the lesser of the two evils.

My one current complaint wouldn't exist in a setup using DeLorme software on a PDA but I'd probably have others. There is no universally perfect solution. I suggest listing the features you'd like in order of importance. Then try to find a solution that delivers "gotta haves" at a price you're willing to pay. If it happens to cover some "kinda wants" that's a bonus.

*Added edit: The readability of the Palm TX in direct sunlight might be an issue, but inside a car I don't think it would be).

Ah, yes. But then, you have one of those cars with a roof. :D

Jennifer, since you already have the DeLorme software and the PDA, why not go ahead and install it and download some maps. You can drive around pretending you have GPS and it will answer some of the questions without spending any money.

There is a "Handheld Export" tab in SA that appears to allow map segments to be selected for downloading to the PDA. This seems quite similar to the way I select maps in Garmin's MapSource for output to the Quest. I assume there is some software included with SA that is installed on the PDA. I guess I have it but, having no PDA, didn't pay much attention.

Yes, there is a portable application of SA2008 that goes on the Palm. You export maps from the software and synchronize them with the Palm.

The EMTAC 4.0 is interesting but I don't see any features that set it apart. I bet you could preload all the DeLorme maps you want on a $10 SD card. And they'd be...ah... DeLorme maps - familiar and shared with your desktop/laptop.

True...

That Seidio device is rather intriguing. It seems to address the mounting, power, and speaker issues. It includes no maps or software but I'm certain that it would work with DeLorme.

In that case, I'd still be able to use the DeLorme maps, so that's a bonus!

Already having the PDA does allow saving some money in putting together a "system" but maybe not as much as it should. Each of the GPS units you've mentioned are in the $150 range and each has its own cons (e.g., the BT-20 relies on the PDA speaker, the EMTAC introduces different maps, the Seidio is tied to the car). Apparently Palm offers its own product (3207NA GPS Adapter Kit), too. Even though it includes maps & software, it likely would work with DeLorme. The EMTAC unit probably would, too.

Alot of people on message boards said the same thing about not saving *that* much money.

My one current complaint wouldn't exist in a setup using DeLorme software on a PDA but I'd probably have others. There is no universally perfect solution. I suggest listing the features you'd like in order of importance. Then try to find a solution that delivers "gotta haves" at a price you're willing to pay. If it happens to cover some "kinda wants" that's a bonus.

Good idea...now that you've given some clear things to assess, that will make it easier!

Ah, yes. But then, you have one of those cars with a roof. :D

Yeah, I guess I take that fact for granted!

Jennifer, since you already have the DeLorme software and the PDA, why not go ahead and install it and download some maps. You can drive around pretending you have GPS and it will answer some of the questions without spending any money.

I bought the DeLorme software prior to my vacation, along with the Palm TX, specifically so that I would have detailed maps in the area I was going to be in (and for the WiFi too!). But I only chose a few major areas to export, I didn't have everyplace in between, which is what I'd like to have. I suppose I could systematically add maps to an SD card. Though using the maps on the Palm alone, without it mounted on the dash and guiding me along was not quite like using a GPS! I'm curious...do you have to stay within a map area when you use the GPS, then load a new map when you go beyond the area of that map? I guess this would be true regardless of which GPS I buy.

...do you have to stay within a map area when you use the GPS

Yes. As you approach the boundary large dragons rise up and will, presumably, devour anyone daring to cross. I've always turned back. :D Sorry.

Seriously, that's a real concern and I don't know the answer. Some comments I've seen on using a Palm with the GPS & software Palm offers (made by Tom Tom) indicate that you can't navigate across map boundaries even if maps on both sides of the boundary are loaded. That's pretty grim. In the case of the Quest (and other Garmin units) there is a built in base map of major roads. Navigation is seamless between all loaded detail maps and the base map. You can load details for just New York City and San Francisco and plot a course from Times Square to the Golden Gate. All streets would be available within the two cities but only expressways and the like would be available between them.

My guess is that the Palm with the DeLorme software is somewhere between. I can't imagine DeLorme not supporting navigation between all contiguous maps but, unless there is some base map that I'm unaware of, there would be no way to navigate between disjoint maps. This is something you could test, up to a point, with what you have. Load a couple of contiguous maps and then a couple far far away. First off, it's possible it won't even let you do that and only supports the loading of one contiguous area. If it does let you load them, try plotting routes between various points and see what happens. Another test would be to use the desktop version to plot a route that runs outside of areas loaded into the Palm and see what happens when you download the route.

Yes. As you approach the boundary large dragons rise up and will, presumably, devour anyone daring to cross. I've always turned back. :D Sorry.

LOL No problem...I enjoyed the laugh! :lol: I will beware the boundary dragons! I'll have to add a dragonslayer sword to my trip packing list!

Seriously, that's a real concern and I don't know the answer. Some comments I've seen on using a Palm with the GPS & software Palm offers (made by Tom Tom) indicate that you can't navigate across map boundaries even if maps on both sides of the boundary are loaded. That's pretty grim. In the case of the Quest (and other Garmin units) there is a built in base map of major roads. Navigation is seamless between all loaded detail maps and the base map. You can load details for just New York City and San Francisco and plot a course from Times Square to the Golden Gate. All streets would be available within the two cities but only expressways and the like would be available between them.

Thanks...things are making more sense about how the maps work, between base maps and detail maps. I wasn't used to that when I got DeLorme, as MS Streets & Trips is different. Plus, I never used S & T with a PDA, since it is only compatible with a Pocket PC and I have only used Palm OS. I think I need to learn more on the desktop version of DeLorme and wrap my head around the concept so I can move onto dealing with the Palm.

My guess is that the Palm with the DeLorme software is somewhere between. I can't imagine DeLorme not supporting navigation between all contiguous maps but, unless there is some base map that I'm unaware of, there would be no way to navigate between disjoint maps. This is something you could test, up to a point, with what you have. Load a couple of contiguous maps and then a couple far far away. First off, it's possible it won't even let you do that and only supports the loading of one contiguous area. If it does let you load them, try plotting routes between various points and see what happens. Another test would be to use the desktop version to plot a route that runs outside of areas loaded into the Palm and see what happens when you download the route.

I have only exported city area maps alone, not maps with routes, so I will try some experiments. I also never exported contiguous maps. I knew I'd be in certain areas and how to get to those areas (major routes were unnecessary). For the most part, I don't envision needing to navigate long routes with the GPS. Using a good ol' fashioned Road Atlas, which has suited me well for many years, I can navigate my way across the USA sans GPS as most of us can. My need for the GPS is this: I'm in a specific area, not knowing what services are available, or how to get to them, so I won't get lost as I enter into an area without better street detail on my Atlas. So essentially, I want street level details to navigate in a fairly small area (city/town level).

Since you two have already done more research than Consumers Reports on GPS, let me pose my concern. I know the detail and accuracy of the Delorme products and they are very good, bless em. And the LT-20 works wonderfully with a laptop. But I suspect a purpose built GPS will have those “intuitive” operating features I would want in a handheld.

I won’t get lost in San Francisco because I won’t be there, but I can get lost near Stone House on the Lincoln in the deserts of Nevada and Utah. Almost did, but I cranked up the laptop and Delorme saved me a detour. I don’t need detail in cities, I need it in the most rural areas of America. Delorme has that. Does Quest, etc?

Since you two have already done more research than Consumers Reports on GPS, let me pose my concern. I know the detail and accuracy of the Delorme products and they are very good, bless em. And the LT-20 works wonderfully with a laptop. But I suspect a purpose built GPS will have those “intuitive” operating features I would want in a handheld.

I won’t get lost in San Francisco because I won’t be there, but I can get lost near Stone House on the Lincoln in the deserts of Nevada and Utah. Almost did, but I cranked up the laptop and Delorme saved me a detour. I don’t need detail in cities, I need it in the most rural areas of America. Delorme has that. Does Quest, etc?

That's why I would want to use DeLorme maps with a GPS device...I am getting familiar with them and their level of detail. Actually, when I said that I would need one in only cities, I actually should have said *any area* in the US where I need street level detail you won't get from an Atlas. So that could include the wilds of Montana or a county road in Oklahoma. But, I would still only need it in a situation where I veer off to a point where I'm not sure where I am.

At the same time, the idea of having all maps together, seamlessly, sounds appealing as well. I'm definitely going to keep researching (and at this point, I definitely don't feel more knowledgeable, in fact I might be more confused than before! LOL)....

...I want street level details to navigate in a fairly small area (city/town level).

I don’t need detail in cities, I need it in the most rural areas of America. Delorme has that. Does Quest, etc?

:blink: I think we've clearly demonstrated why one size doesn't fit all. :D

Both Garmin & DeLorme (& Microsoft & Magellan & ABunchOfOtherFolks) have good maps so yes, the Quest has plenty of both town & country detail provided the appropriate maps are loaded. I'm confident the same is true of other purpose built units (including the Quest II which has all maps preloaded).

Calling operation of any of the units "intuitive" is probably being a bit generous but purpose built units will generally be easier to use in a car than a laptop or (I'm guessing here) a PDA. They will have things like dedicated buttons & high contrast screens and won't have things like full keyboards.

Something in these posts, but I'm not sure what, just triggered this thought about GPS. It's not just about routing.

For years I used a unit (Garmin GPS III) that had no routing capability. If necessary, I could use it to feed routing software (e.g., SA, S&T) on a laptop but all by itself it was a valuable self positioning atlas and a great landmark locater. Admittedly the screen size makes the pages in that atlas kind of small but the "you are here" point is automatically marked on a map that you can scroll and zoom.

Some roadside attractions may be known to the GPS but not some of the cooler ones. Say, for example, you think you might someday be in the neighborhood of an early nineteenth century roadside grave. Just plug in the coordinates (N 40 30.795, W 83 0.998) and if you do happen to be roaming the area finding the marvelous landmark will be easy. Your Rand McNally won't do that for you. ;)

Something in these posts, but I'm not sure what, just triggered this thought about GPS. It's not just about routing.

For years I used a unit (Garmin GPS III) that had no routing capability. If necessary, I could use it to feed routing software (e.g., SA, S&T) on a laptop but all by itself it was a valuable self positioning atlas and a great landmark locater. Admittedly the screen size makes the pages in that atlas kind of small but the "you are here" point is automatically marked on a map that you can scroll and zoom.

Some roadside attractions may be known to the GPS but not some of the cooler ones. Say, for example, you think you might someday be in the neighborhood of an early nineteenth century roadside grave. Just plug in the coordinates (N 40 30.795, W 83 0.998) and if you do happen to be roaming the area finding the marvelous landmark will be easy. Your Rand McNally won't do that for you. ;)

Denny, Good point! I like the idea of a permanent collection of interesting waypoints! When you are in an area, it is kind of a catalog of prospective stops. Good concept!

I also use my GPS as a means to mark in advance key junctions and waypoints in the “outback.” I was an early adopter of the GPS and my first was a Garmin. One thing you shouldn’t do is place one on the roof of the car for a clear satellite view, then drive off with it there. Opps, you don’t have that problem, do you!

Keep the Show on the Road

Another silly question...

OK, if I use a Bluetooth GPS receiver and DeLorme software and would like to create a track log to export to my computer, is that a function of the GPS of the DeLorme software? It seems DeLorme will create a track log.

I am interested in using a track log to geotag my photos for Flickr.

Another silly question...

OK, if I use a Bluetooth GPS receiver and DeLorme software and would like to create a track log to export to my computer, is that a function of the GPS of the DeLorme software? It seems DeLorme will create a track log.

I am interested in using a track log to geotag my photos for Flickr.

Since the receiver is hardware and doesn’t operate independent of software, the Delorme software should be the place to look for stored waypoints. However I vaguely recall the Delorme bluetooth device as having storage capability so you could hide it in the kid’s car and find out where they had been!! But independent of the PDA or computer, I don’t see how you would mark a photo site.

I am impressed that you are geotaging your photos! I use my handheld and paper, but often forget to do it. I wonder when they will have a reasonably priced combo digital camera and GPS....or at least a $300 -500 digital camera that has a plug in to a GPS. It is so obvious a benefit.

When you get this all figured out and working, I will just copy your setup! :D

Since the receiver is hardware and doesn’t operate independent of software, the Delorme software should be the place to look for stored waypoints. However I vaguely recall the Delorme bluetooth device as having storage capability so you could hide it in the kid’s car and find out where they had been!! But independent of the PDA or computer, I don’t see how you would mark a photo site.

I am impressed that you are geotaging your photos! I use my handheld and paper, but often forget to do it. I wonder when they will have a reasonably priced combo digital camera and GPS....or at least a $300 -500 digital camera that has a plug in to a GPS. It is so obvious a benefit.

When you get this all figured out and working, I will just copy your setup! :D

Well, I'm not geotagging yet, I'm just interested in doing so, and the GPS and geotagging seems to go hand-in-hand, so I'm trying to unserstand the concepts together in formulating the correct system. My understanding is that you can create some sort of tracking log file with the GPS/Palm, bring it back to your computer (which I assume would be through the Delorme software?). Then, you take that log file and can tag the photos with a 3rd party geotagging software, and then upload them to Flickr.

I still need to figure out which Bluetooth GPS will work with a Palm & DeLorme, and if the DeLorme software will track my route and create a log so I can tag the photos. Typically, when learning a new technology, there's so much new terminology to learn, so it's challenging!!

Well, I'm not geotagging yet, I'm just interested in doing so, and the GPS and geotagging seems to go hand-in-hand, so I'm trying to unserstand the concepts together in formulating the correct system. My understanding is that you can create some sort of tracking log file with the GPS/Palm, bring it back to your computer (which I assume would be through the Delorme software?). Then, you take that log file and can tag the photos with a 3rd party geotagging software, and then upload them to Flickr.

I still need to figure out which Bluetooth GPS will work with a Palm & DeLorme, and if the DeLorme software will track my route and create a log so I can tag the photos. Typically, when learning a new technology, there's so much new terminology to learn, so it's challenging!!

I was so bold as to tip Delorme off that we were talking about them. Lets see if they are on top of things and step up to answer a question or two without resorting primarily to boilerplate pitches. If their Bluetooth unit would work seamlessly with my broken TX, it might be a good buy and justify fixing the TX. I have always liked Delorme’s stuff and the TX is nice for the wifi. If they worked well together, I’d be happy.

Since I don't own a BT-20 I could be completely wrong but I believe that it, like the LT-20, is simply a GPS receiver with no storage capability. Maintaining tracks would be a function of the software it is feeding. DeLorme SA certainly does this so it seems likely that the DeLorme PDA software does but I've paced no bets either way.

Now about this geotagging thing. I don't know how I've missed it but I have - completely. (Kind of a Colbert/Lincoln Highway thing, I guess.) There are rumored to be programs around that will add geotags to a photo's exif data but the first one I've tried (locr) seems to have a little trouble running. I'll get back to you on that. Jennifer, I'd welcome any leads you may have for geotagging software.

Since I don't own a BT-20 I could be completely wrong but I believe that it, like the LT-20, is simply a GPS receiver with no storage capability. Maintaining tracks would be a function of the software it is feeding. DeLorme SA certainly does this so it seems likely that the DeLorme PDA software does but I've paced no bets either way.

Now about this geotagging thing. I don't know how I've missed it but I have - completely. (Kind of a Colbert/Lincoln Highway thing, I guess.) There are rumored to be programs around that will add geotags to a photo's exif data but the first one I've tried (locr) seems to have a little trouble running. I'll get back to you on that. Jennifer, I'd welcome any leads you may have for geotagging software.

Here's a piece of software that can geotag a photo's EXIF data: RoboGeo

It can be done manually, but I'd rather use a GPS tracking log. Otherwise, I still have to remember where I was when I took the photo.

As to track logs, my DeLorme software on the Palm has GPS logging under its menu. I'll read up on the SA2008 user manual about generating tracking logs.

I've been reading on the DeLorme forums about the BT-20 and there are people there who haven't had good luck with it, so I was curious about finding other units. I was coming to the conclusion that a Bluetooth GPS receiver without maps should work with DeLorme software on my Palm if the documentation for the device says it will work with a Palm OS bluetooth enabled device and my "GPS mapping software." So I've been trying to check out others as well.

I was so bold as to tip Delorme off that we were talking about them. Lets see if they are on top of things and step up to answer a question or two without resorting primarily to boilerplate pitches. If their Bluetooth unit would work seamlessly with my broken TX, it might be a good buy and justify fixing the TX. I have always liked Delorme’s stuff and the TX is nice for the wifi. If they worked well together, I’d be happy.

So far, on its own merits, I love the Palm TX...I'm just wading into adding the GPS, which I have no familiarity with, so it's a steep learning curve! I hope you hear back from them. I wasn't too impressed with some comments of the BT-20 on their forum: DeLorme BT-20 forum :unsure::blink:

Woooo Hoooo!! This is cool. Jennifer, you've pointed me to something really neat. Now, I've never had any desire to place photos on a Flickr map but I have had occasion to wonder just where a photo was taken. I usually have the GPS on and logging enabled but I rarely use the logs. I have uploaded logs to help locate a photo but my methods have been crude techniques like looking for the place where I turned around or a jog that indicates where I pulled off the road. Not too convenient or reliable.

I have just downloaded a free piece of software called Location Stamper from wwmx.org. Then I:

• uploaded the current logs from my GPS to Garmin MapSource
  • exported yesterday's log in GPX format (a standard)
  • read the GPX file into Location Stamper
  • selected, in Location Stamper, a photo taken yesterday
  • grinned happily as the software wrote the location into the photo's exif data

And until today I didn't even know it was possible.

Woooo Hoooo!! This is cool. Jennifer, you've pointed me to something really neat. Now, I've never had any desire to place photos on a Flickr map but I have had occasion to wonder just where a photo was taken. I usually have the GPS on and logging enabled but I rarely use the logs. I have uploaded logs to help locate a photo but my methods have been crude techniques like looking for the place where I turned around or a jog that indicates where I pulled off the road. Not too convenient or reliable.

I have just downloaded a free piece of software called Location Stamper from wwmx.org. Then I:

• uploaded the current logs from my GPS to Garmin MapSource
  • exported yesterday's log in GPX format (a standard)
  • read the GPX file into Location Stamper
  • selected, in Location Stamper, a photo taken yesterday
  • grinned happily as the software wrote the location into the photo's exif data
And until today I didn't even know it was possible.

Very cool...now I just have to get to the point of having the GPS, knowing how to use it combined with the Palm version of SA2008, how to create a route, transfer the route and maps to the Palm, track logs, get them back to the computer version of SA2008 and then attach them to my photos! Whew! Thankfully, SA2008's 234 page User Guide is pretty detailed, so I think if I keep reading it, I should do OK. Thank goodness for dual monitors!!

...now I just have to get to the point of having the GPS, knowing how to use it combined with the Palm version of SA2008, how to create a route, transfer the route and maps to the Palm, track logs, get them back to the computer version of SA2008 and then attach them to my photos!

Heck you're almost there. Nothing more required but time & money.

Heck you're almost there. Nothing more required but time & money.

I'm *this* close to picking up the phone and calling DeLorme. Since I already have the software, I can get the BT-20 alone if I call them directly.

Then, I would need a cradle to mount onto my windshield, but I can get a universal one anywhere.

I'm *this* close to picking up the phone and calling DeLorme. Since I already have the software, I can get the BT-20 alone if I call them directly.

Then, I would need a cradle to mount onto my windshield, but I can get a universal one anywhere.

**sigh** So much for the good ole days of getting lost.....:unsure: