American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Colgate Clock to Stay

roadmaven

For those of you familiar with the 40 foot tall clock atop the Colgate-Palmolive plant in Clarksville, IN along the Ohio River, it looks like it's staying put. C-P announced a few months ago they were moving operations to a plant in Tennessee and wanted to take the clock with them. However, C-P said they realize it's a strong community symbol in the Clarksville/Louisville area and chose to leave it. The clock was placed on this year's Top 10 Endangered list by Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana. For those of you crossing over the Ohio River northbound on US 31 will know what an impressive sight the clock is, especially at night. Here's an article from the Indy Star:

Saved!

and here is a good night shot:

Neon

and a day shot:

Colgate Clock

For those of you familiar with the 40 foot tall clock atop the Colgate-Palmolive plant in Clarksville, IN along the Ohio River, it looks like it's staying put. C-P announced a few months ago they were moving operations to a plant in Tennessee and wanted to take the clock with them. However, C-P said they realize it's a strong community symbol in the Clarksville/Louisville area and chose to leave it. The clock was placed on this year's Top 10 Endangered list by Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana. For those of you crossing over the Ohio River northbound on US 31 will know what an impressive sight the clock is, especially at night. Here's an article from the Indy Star:

Saved!

and here is a good night shot:

Neon

and a day shot:

Colgate Clock

Hat's off to Clarksville, IN and C-P! Thanks for the good news Pat.

• 2 weeks later...
Hat's off to Clarksville, IN and C-P! Thanks for the good news Pat.

Yeah, Historic Landmarks, too. I used to be a member but I don't get much time to explore in IN.....I live south of Philly in Wilmington, DE. I highly suggest visiting the Huddleston Farmhouse in Cambridge City, IN to anyone interested in the western part of the National Road. It's the home of the In. National Road Assn. Got a personalized tour (just me) about three years ago. That's what happen when you vacation in the fall, winter and spring.

Matt Smallwood