American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

On the way out of Flagstaff heading towards Two Guns I had noticed two oversized arrows sticking out of the ground next to an abandoned trading post and cafe that were right off of the Interstate. On our way back west after our stop in Two Guns and Canyon Diablo we took the Twin Arrows exit and took a look around.

I haven't been able to find out much about this site other than it being one of the many trading posts set up for Route 66 travelers. It must have stayed in business past the introduction of the Interstate or at least until gas was at $1.36 a gallon.

If anybody has any more information please share.

Twin Arrows

SC10_75_05.jpg

Frozen in time at $1.36 a gallon

SC10_75_07.jpg

No longer serving Breakfast (or hamburgers & malts)

SC10_75_08.jpg

Enjoy the Journey

In 1990's "Route 66: The Mother Road" Michael Wallis describes it as open and jolly enough to have a joke menu with things like "fried pack-rat" and "braised rattlesnake hips". The entry isn't revised for the 2001 75th anniversary edition but, since Moore & Cunningham report is as being "closed for quite a few years" in 2003, I doubt that it made it to the road's 75th birthday. I believe it was closed on my first pass in 1999 but a wise man wouldn't quote on that.

It seems that the station may have closed right in the middle of a price change or maybe west bound travelers had to pay a bit more for fuel :) . I have a September 2005 photo of the east side of that sign that shows 1.399 but I have none of the other side from that visit. How 'bout you? Any shots of the east side of the sign during your stop?

In 1990's "Route 66: The Mother Road" Michael Wallis describes it as open and jolly enough to have a joke menu with things like "fried pack-rat" and "braised rattlesnake hips". The entry isn't revised for the 2001 75th anniversary edition but, since Moore & Cunningham report is as being "closed for quite a few years" in 2003, I doubt that it made it to the road's 75th birthday. I believe it was closed on my first pass in 1999 but a wise man wouldn't quote on that.

It seems that the station may have closed right in the middle of a price change or maybe west bound travelers had to pay a bit more for fuel :) . I have a September 2005 photo of the east side of that sign that shows 1.399 but I have none of the other side from that visit. How 'bout you? Any shots of the east side of the sign during your stop?

Unfortunately I didn't get the sign from the east side as I would have been shooting into the sun (which I usually try to avoid). I didn't take notice of the price either. Sounds like they made a mistake that was captured permanently.

Even though it is right of the Interstate the location of the trading post was not ideal as far as capturing west bound travelers. Approaching from the east (heading west) on the Interstate you don't see the site until your past the exit. From the west (heading east) your still close enough to Flagstaff that anybody needing gas would have stopped and topped off. Not hard to see why it didn't make it.

Unfortunately I didn't get the sign from the east side as I would have been shooting into the sun (which I usually try to avoid). I didn't take notice of the price either. Sounds like they made a mistake that was captured permanently.

Even though it is right of the Interstate the location of the trading post was not ideal as far as capturing west bound travelers. Approaching from the east (heading west) on the Interstate you don't see the site until your past the exit. From the west (heading east) your still close enough to Flagstaff that anybody needing gas would have stopped and topped off. Not hard to see why it didn't make it.

As usual, nice shots! I missed them when we were through.

Keep um coming, and Keep the Show on the Road!