American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Couple Of Technical Suggestions

OK, two technical irritations that maybe we should change.

On the Sunday chat (March 25) the message truncation at three lines hindered communication (not mine) three times that I recall. I suggest we try 5 or 6 lines. They are short lines!

Second, I was trying to send e-mail to four forum members this morning. I discovered that we have a 15 minute lock between messages!!!!. Why don’t we cut it down to 5 minutes or less?

I recognize we don’t want spam, but a 15 minute lock discourages legitimate communication to more than one member. Community is key, and 15 minutes between messages has already hindered us in trying to establish a chat group on road trips.

I suppose it is a default with the Board software, but I hope we can change it.

Just trying to Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

OK, two technical irritations that maybe we should change.

On the Sunday chat (March 25) the message truncation at three lines hindered communication (not mine) three times that I recall. I suggest we try 5 or 6 lines. They are short lines!

Second, I was trying to send e-mail to four forum members this morning. I discovered that we have a 15 minute lock between messages!!!!. Why don’t we cut it down to 5 minutes or less?

I recognize we don’t want spam, but a 15 minute lock discourages legitimate communication to more than one member. Community is key, and 15 minutes between messages has already hindered us in trying to establish a chat group on road trips.

I suppose it is a default with the Board software, but I hope we can change it.

Just trying to Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

I took care of the 15 minute time limit between messages, so you should have no problems trying to communicate more effectively among each other - I encourage that! :)

As far as the chat function, Pat and I looked into it, and all chat options are accessible only by our website maintenance company. I will see if that is a possibility to make the change to the chat functionality.

I took care of the 15 minute time limit between messages, so you should have no problems trying to communicate more effectively among each other - I encourage that! :)

As far as the chat function, Pat and I looked into it, and all chat options are accessible only by our website maintenance company. I will see if that is a possibility to make the change to the chat functionality.

Thanks, Jennifer. I really appreciate the work you are doing, and your response!

I looked at the Parachat site after I posted the suggestion and realized that their basic chat package doesn’t give you control over message length. That requires their "professional" (more expensive) package. Thanks for the effort anyway!!

Some of us used the chat last night for about an hour and the message length didn’t get in the way at all.

The change in “between e-mail time” is appreciated; as I agree with you that ease of communication (without spam) is important.

You might also tell Pat that I have withdrawn for now the suggestion that we schedule regular publicized times for specific “narrow” chat topics (eg Route 66 Saturdays at 5:30PM). I still think it has some possibilities, but it didn’t get rave reviews in the Sunday chat, and apparently got a yawn from all but a couple of leadership folks I invited to discuss it. Maybe I’ll resuscitate it at some later date. When chat gets going we will need separate rooms anyway.

I am still trying to get a feel for what works to generate participants and even more participation. Now that I have discovered the expertise here, I want all roadies to hitch a ride.

We really do have world class experts as moderators and some fantastic members. I want to get the story out.