American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Bridge To Nowhere And The Road To Nowhere

Michael Ballard

In the San Gabriel Mountains, above Azusa, California, there are two roadways from two different periods that were both abandoned. One, the "Road to Nowhere" was to be a part of the East Fork Road that would have eventually traversed the range and ended near Big Pines. This attempt was abandoned in 1938 after a devastating flood that destroyed four of the five miles built, leaving an arch bridge and tunnel a long ways from anything. In the late 1950's, though ending in the mid 1960's, another attempt was partially constructed. This time, a higher approach was to be used which was planned to connect to the "Bridge to Nowhere". This was also abandoned, leaving a partially finished roadway and two tunnels behind. I hiked to the "Road to Nowhere" yesterday in a wetsuit with my husband and we are both quite tired. Still, it was a lot of fun and very beautiful. A while back, I posted some additional information on my site, which has photos and more detailed information about the roads:

http://socalregion.com/road-building-in-san-gabriel-canyon/

• Like 1

Mike,

That is one fascinating story and set of photos on your web site! I "discovered" twin tunnels on the Yellowstone Trail years ago, but not so far off the beaten path as your bridge and tunnels. Great job!!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

http://yellowstonetrail.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/6-yellowstone-trail-tunnels/