American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!
Sign in to follow this  
mobilene

Steps Off The National Road In 1914

My family has begun attending a church that is mere feet off the National Road in Indianapolis. We chose the church for reasons not related to its location, but that location is certainly a welcome coincidence. I hope you'll indulge me a diversion from the National Road -- but seriously, it's mere feet away.

Hanging inside are a handful of panoramic photographs of the church and its congregation from about 100 years ago. This is the best of them, from 1914.

wpcc1914.jpg

Here's the same scene from last Sunday, taken with my new iPhone that does automatic pano shots.

wpcc2012.jpg

Not bad, eh? If you're curious of location, the church is at 24 N. Addison St. in Indianapolis.

-Jim

Jim--

Do you know what the objects are that look like two silver (Mylar) balloons on the pole in the top right corner of the 1914 shot?

I second Dave's comment above!

Those balloon-like things are actually this kind of chintzy garland draped across the framed photo as it hangs on the wall. They're not actually in the picture! -Jim

Awesome comparison shot! It's also amazing that the neighborhood looks so much the same 98 years later.