American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Daily Vs. Fun Drivers

knightfan26917

Instead of just listing all vehicles you've had, make two lists:

vehicles owned as "daily drivers"

vs

vehicles owned for "fun"

My lists...

...DAILY DRIVERS (6)

1979 Monte Carlo Landau

(October 1992 - December 1993)

(January 1997 - September 1997)

(June 2003 - July 2003)

1988 Monte Carlo LS

(December 1993 - January 1997)

97 "malibu"

(September 1997 - October 1999)

00 "monte carlo" LS

(October 1999 - June 2003)

1987 Monte Carlo LS

(July 2003 - November 2009)

1979 Caprice Classic

(November 2009 - present)

[1989 Caprice Classic OR 2011 Dodge Charger

(??)]

...FUN (5)

1979 Monte Carlo Landau

(September 1997 - present)

1976 Monte Carlo Landau

(December 1998 - present)

1981 Monte Carlo SC

(December 1999 - present)

1972 Monte Carlo

(March 2002 - present)

1987 Monte Carlo LS

(November 2009 - present)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_07.30.11_Cold.Treat *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"What else do I have to say?" __ Billy Joel __ 'We Didn't Start The Fire'

I briefly considered listing all the cars I could remember but realized that, if Alex and KtSotR did it too, American Road would have to buy more disk space. So here's the top entry in each category:

Fun - 1998 Corvette Convertible

Utilitarian - 1985 Buick Century 4 Door

I have not been fortunate enough to own a car just for fun -- seems like my money always needs to go toward other things. The car I own now is probably the most fun one I've ever owned, in that mashing the gas pedal to the floor causes it to scoot pretty good. It's a 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS.

I sometimes have passing thoughts about picking up a used Mazda Miata for my road trips. We'll see.

I have not been fortunate enough to own a car just for fun -- seems like my money always needs to go toward other things. The car I own now is probably the most fun one I've ever owned, in that mashing the gas pedal to the floor causes it to scoot pretty good. It's a 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS.

I sometimes have passing thoughts about picking up a used Mazda Miata for my road trips. We'll see.

I did just that three years ago--bought a well-used '99 silver Miata (the first year for the 2nd generation with the headlights exposed rather than hidden) as my 'fun' car. It came with the removable hardtop which I immediately took off and have had stored ever since. Can't see any point in closing up a convertible! The Miata has not been on any road trips farther than to the Phoenix area, though, as it's definitely not as comfortable on long drives as my '05 Pontiac Vibe (NUMMI Motors twin to your Matrix). The Vibe has been by far the best, most trouble-free vehicle I have ever owned. I am sad that the type has been discontinued ('10 Vibe and '11 Matrix are the end of the line) as I was hoping to replace it with a newer same model when the time comes. Guess I'll have to look for low-mileage used when that time comes.

The Miata is definitely a fun car and out here (southern AZ), convertible season is year-round: Daytime in the colder months, and now that it's getting hot, one puts the top down once the sun goes down and the beautiful cool evening begins!

I bought a very well used 1991 Ford F-150 4WD Monday, mainly to have a way to take junk to the dump, and to bring home the occasional item too large for my trunk (eg, a barbeque). But I took it out yesterday on an occasionally muddy, narrow, rough, potholed, dirt road that went for miles before simply disappearing.

I had forgotten the fun of bouncing over an old road, with potholes filled with water, around fallen trees and through the brush where an open window is risky and the antenna gets a workout with every passing limb.

This isn't an off road forum, but it isn't all that unusual, at least in the west, for the old auto trail to be a narrow trail through the woods or over the rocks. I can think of several examples, some of which I have reported here. This old rig has the advantage that should I scrape a limb along the paint on the door, it won't really change its appearance. That is a "liberating" feeling you won't get in that nice Forester, Mini Cooper, or Miata....or in my red convertible.

Regarding the Miata, they are lots of fun. I owned one of the first off the line. I had to drive cross state to get it, and pay a premium. But I loved it. It was the only car that gave me a tear in the eye when I sold it. As much fun as they are, they are not good in the snow, ice, or rain.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I'm not surprised to hear that the Miata is best on dry pavement. I take my road trips during the nice-weather months, so that may not be such a big deal. But it did occur to me that sometimes I end up on poorly maintained old alignments, such as this original alignment of US 36 in western Indiana:

2937220033_a2eae5bf65.jpg

Old US 36 by mobilene, on Flickr

And then there was the time I backed my first Matrix off a service road that was built across the original National Road alignment in Illinois:

2883856180_c90064f7b6.jpg

Abandoned National Road by mobilene, on Flickr

It strikes me that a Miata would have been a pretty lousy candidate for either situation. Ground clearance and the ability to have a who-cares attitude about body dings would be very welcome! Maybe I need to look for an old, used Ford Ranger or something like that.

As for my Matrix -- I've owned two, having wrecked one on a road trip. The first one set me back $3,500 when the transmission failed! So I've not had the best of luck!

So, Dave, in order to "take junk to the dump", you bought more... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I can well appreciate the "liberated" feeling you describe. Between 1996 and 2002 I owned, as you say, a "very well used" 1986 Ford Bronco II. Apparently real paint was an option that year and it was omitted on my copy. But it went anywhere with nary a worry about dings, scratches, or limited clearance. I've never owned a Jeep but a pair of buddies owned CJ-5s in the late 1970s and I enjoyed lots of mud slinging good times.

I know you'll have some good times bouncing over old roads and such but here's an oft repeated observation of mine: The only trouble 4 wheel drive ever got me out of was trouble that 4 wheel drive got me into.

Jim: By coincidence, I was looking over your US-36 outing not long ago in anticipation of driving it in about a month. I know I won't have a clearance problem on this pass but I doubt that a Miata would have a serious one, either. Unless a gravel road is badly rutted, they can usually be driven by fairly low clearance vehicles as long as they're moving v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

Denny,

I loved your comments about 4WD!! That's the problem....they get you into trouble. But it was a ball to bounce over chuckholes and drive through water holes. The road we took petered out, and because it was a spur of the moment road thing I didn't have my trusty GPA We had to back track.

I owned a new Toyota Land Rover at one time, and got myself stranded enough to be cautious. But that rig was too new to take on roads where the brush closed in. This old Ford pickup has paint off the hood and cab roof, so a little off the sides would balance the "design."

Jim,

I know what you need to do. Buy an old full size pickup and carry the Miata in the pickup bed!

As far as convertibles go, a guy should own a sports car at least once. I have had three, and now I have an old man's convertible, a Sebring. I just don't trust that I can do what I used to do in a sport's car, and my wife and son, as well as the Highway Patrol, want me to slow down. D**n!!! If I can't lay one into a curve anymore (tear in my eye), I can at least bounce over a few boulders!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Denny, thanks for the advice about low ground clearance. And as for that particular old alignment of 36 -- the photo is geotagged if you click through on Flickr. But a tip: this is just a stub, despite Flickr's map saying otherwise. A bridge is missing in there.

Dave, it would be fun to have a sports car, even if it is just a little Miata. I'm chewing on the idea. I'm such a daggone cheapskate though!

jim

I'd already plotted my route to connect with that stretch at the midpoint as you did. Whether I attempt to drive or even walk it will depend on time, weather, and mood. I'm not as much of a detective as you but I do enjoy taking advantage of your work. Thanks.

I briefly considered listing all the cars I could remember but realized that, if Alex and KtSotR did it too, American Road would have to buy more disk space. So here's the top entry in each category:

Fun - 1998 Corvette Convertible

Utilitarian - 1985 Buick Century 4 Door

I've owned a few "fun" cars but most were grocery getters, kid haulers, and drive-to-work types. Here's my list anyway:

Fun - 1977 Monte Carlo w/factory rainroof (still in my garage)

1979 Vette t-topper (now in my son's garage)

1987 Monte t-topper

2004 Supercharged Monte (still in my driveway)

Utilitarian - 1984 Buick LeSabre (driven 214K for over-the-road work)

Bliss

As far as convertibles go, a guy should own a sports car at least once. I have had three, and now I have an old man's convertible, a Sebring.

I have yet to own a sports car OR a convertible. I have a number of friends that either have or still own a Miata, and I sure wouldn't mind having one of those myself. Though, the one convertible I would LOVE to have ... 1975 Caprice Classic convertible, like this:

75capriceconvrt.jpg

I've owned a few "fun" cars but most were grocery getters, kid haulers, and drive-to-work types. Here's my list anyway:

Fun - 1977 Monte Carlo w/factory rainroof (still in my garage)

I remember seeing the pictures you sent me of this one. Sure hope to see it in person someday, Bliss!

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_05.21.11_FrnkGrv.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I want a 2-tone Chevrolet" __ BJ Thomas __ '2-Car Garage'