American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

1914 Pacific Highway (us99) Under1931 High Bridge

It is hard to know where to start this report, I have seen so many great spots today and yesterday. I followed the 1914 alignment of the old Pacific Highway (US99) for a couple of miles on a bank above the Shasta River north of Yreka, got some great photos of some amazing bridges, went past a Black Bart stagecoach holdup site on a dirt road just north of the California border near Coles’ stage stop, “discovered” and “named” the Four Bridge Crossings on Old 99, got a few photos of a Giant Orange near Willows, California, stopped at a should be famous Richfield service station, complete with the tower beacon to guide aircraft, saw where old busses go to die, and capped the day with two stops on the Lincoln, at Banta (east of Tracy) and at the Summit Garage on Altamont Pass where Linda, who operates an antique shop in the garage, and a former mechanic herself, gave me a tour.

Each place was a gem in and of itself, and there were several in between delights.

I am on the way to visit an ailing family member who is now recovering so I have allowed myself the luxury of some great short detours off I-5 and I-205.

Because I am posting this in the US 99 Pacific highway section, I guess I should start with the 1914 alignment of the Pacific Highway north of Yreka. From the inception of the Pacific Highway in 1914, until about 1929, the main route north from Yreka, California followed practically in the bed of the Shasta River. After 1929 or 1930, it rode on higher ground and crossed some spectacular high bridges to do it. Of course it was all eventually bypassed by I-5, which plows through the mountains like…..who knows what…..on huge fills and through gigantic cuts.

I think perhaps a quick Google Earth tour HERE ( big 5mb file)of the “modern” and 1914 alignment will help orient you.

The 1931 Pioneer Bridge on old US99 crosses the Shasta River above the 1914 Pacific Highway alignment which is evident in the canyon below. If you like Quicktime, double click HERE (big 8mb file)) and you should get a nice zoomable view of the bridge and old alignment. I am standing at 41.8086, -122.5926 on the old bridge construction access road and facing west (left) to get the picture, which is a 180 degree panorama. The image below is OK but you won’t be able to see the 1914 bridge abutment as well.

ARPioneerBridge19141931.jpg

Don’t be deceived, that bridge is huge. Look below the far support and you will see a standard size highway sign that was knocked or thrown into the canyon.

If you zoom in and look to the left end of the 1914 road, you can see the original bridge abutment.

That’s all I have time for tonight, but the gems abound!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

It is hard to know where to start this report, I have seen so many great spots today and yesterday. I followed the 1914 alignment of the old Pacific Highway (US99) for a couple of miles on a bank above the Shasta River north of Yreka, got some great photos of some amazing bridges, went past a Black Bart stagecoach holdup site on a dirt road just north of the California border near Coles’ stage stop, “discovered” and “named” the Four Bridge Crossings on Old 99, got a few photos of a Giant Orange near Willows, California, stopped at a should be famous Richfield service station, complete with the tower beacon to guide aircraft, saw where old busses go to die, and capped the day with two stops on the Lincoln, at Banta (east of Tracy) and at the Summit Garage on Altamont Pass where Linda, who operates an antique shop in the garage, and a former mechanic herself, gave me a tour.

Each place was a gem in and of itself, and there were several in between delights.

I am on the way to visit an ailing family member who is now recovering so I have allowed myself the luxury of some great short detours off I-5 and I-205.

Because I am posting this in the US 99 Pacific highway section, I guess I should start with the 1914 alignment of the Pacific Highway north of Yreka. From the inception of the Pacific Highway in 1914, until about 1929, the main route north from Yreka, California followed practically in the bed of the Shasta River. After 1929 or 1930, it rode on higher ground and crossed some spectacular high bridges to do it. Of course it was all eventually bypassed by I-5, which plows through the mountains like…..who knows what…..on huge fills and through gigantic cuts.

I think perhaps a quick Google Earth tour HERE ( big 5mb file)of the “modern” and 1914 alignment will help orient you.

The 1931 Pioneer Bridge on old US99 crosses the Shasta River above the 1914 Pacific Highway alignment which is evident in the canyon below. If you like Quicktime, double click HERE (big 8mb file)) and you should get a nice zoomable view of the bridge and old alignment. I am standing at 41.8086, -122.5926 on the old bridge construction access road and facing west (left) to get the picture, which is a 180 degree panorama. The image below is OK but you won’t be able to see the 1914 bridge abutment as well.

ARPioneerBridge19141931.jpg

Don’t be deceived, that bridge is huge. Look below the far support and you will see a standard size highway sign that was knocked or thrown into the canyon.

If you zoom in and look to the left end of the 1914 road, you can see the original bridge abutment.

That’s all I have time for tonight, but the gems abound!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Welcome to the Bay Area Keep! You couldn't have picked a better day weather wise. I wish I could get away from work and do some exploring with you. Yes, working on a weekend.

Welcome to the Bay Area Keep! You couldn't have picked a better day weather wise. I wish I could get away from work and do some exploring with you. Yes, working on a weekend.

Rick,

Thanks for the thought! This is a family emergency kind of thing, so my time isn't mine. I did lengthen the trip coming down by a day as the emergency diminished a bit, but once I hit San Jose, my schedule is not mine to set anyway. Another time!!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave, you keep telling me about how we have such road gems out here in the old Midwest, but daggone it, we can't touch scenes like the one you describe in your video. We just don't have the terrain for it! Looking forward to more reports. I hope things go smoothly in San Jose.