American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Us 40 In Missouri

roadmaven

There definitely some "Let's Twist Again" style entertainment value in the "adjustment" version. Clipping an aligned frame from it to use in a morph to/from the other photo might be practical but undoubtedly boring. I do like the zoomless version and it caused me to notice some rather major differences that had escaped me before. As the Vales pointed out, the pillars had been stripped to bare brick when they took their picture but between then and the Bremer/Sanderson photos, the white paint was removed from the entire front of the building along with the metal balcony. Turn your back on that thing and it totally remakes itself in a matter of a few decades.

• 1 month later...
Thespian Hall also looks pretty good on the inside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markgsimon/3166163759

Indeed it does. And that picture is part of a very nice set of US-40/National Road photos. Many of places I'm familiar with but also plenty of new sights. I just used the photos to travel from Ellicott City to Kansas City and now "I back", too.

• 2 months later...
A very good match indeed. Perhaps KtSotR could morph them for you or even throw in the Vale's 1983 shot for a mind boggling three way morph. :D

The street light, which was one of the changes pointed out by the Vales, has changed again and looks more like the one Stewart saw than the one that was there in 1983. Trees were completely absent in 1953, stood above the Hall in 1983, and have shrunk to half that height in 2009. (I'm fairly confident that they are replacements but, if they really did shrink, that's the story.) The shrub at the steps doesn't appear in either earlier photograph. The bricks between steps and sidewalk were stacked beside the building in 1983 but look to be restored in Pat's shot. Maybe the shrub appeared when the bricks returned to make up for some attrition. Like Dave, the Vales also commented on the absent route signs. I believe that US-40, MO-87, and MO-5 still pass the spot so they must be signed nearby. The striped shield above the numbered route markers in Stewart's photo is a National Old Trails Road marker which he calls "rare". I'll say. The National Old Trails Road Association had been gone for more that twenty years when Stewart took that picture. Any guesses as to when the NOTR was last signed?

Thanks for the picture. Playing "what's different" is a fun way to start the day.

Anyone notice that the cut-out US 40 and state route signs are gone? No surprise there.....do any cutouts still exist on the highway? I doubt it.

Anyone notice that the cut-out US 40 and state route signs are gone? No surprise there.....do any cutouts still exist on the highway? I doubt it.

Matt,

If there was one, I bet it wouldn't last beyond the next EBay posting! :)

Just as a matter of speculation, do you suppose that somewhere in a canyon beside the road is an old shield tossed there by a lazy road worker who didn't want to carry it back to the truck? I wonder, because when I was in California a few months ago, I noted a yellow highway sign on the side of a bank down a steep slope. I figured it had been knocked there in an accident. But maybe not.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Matt,

If there was one, I bet it wouldn't last beyond the next EBay posting! :)

Just as a matter of speculation, do you suppose that somewhere in a canyon beside the road is an old shield tossed there by a lazy road worker who didn't want to carry it back to the truck? I wonder, because when I was in California a few months ago, I noted a yellow highway sign on the side of a bank down a steep slope. I figured it had been knocked there in an accident. But maybe not.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Without veering too far off topic, I know in the St. Louis area a few years ago they were doing some excavating for a...I believe...Home Depot when they unearthed a bunch of old US highway shields. I know Jim Ross has one of them hanging on the wall of his den of, I believe, a 66 City shield. Perhaps Bliss knows more of this story??

Without veering too far off topic, I know in the St. Louis area a few years ago they were doing some excavating for a...I believe...Home Depot when they unearthed a bunch of old US highway shields. I know Jim Ross has one of them hanging on the wall of his den of, I believe, a 66 City shield. Perhaps Bliss knows more of this story??

Sorry, I don't know anything about this. I've probably saw Jim's shield in '04 when Jane and us stopped at his place on our way to CA but, if so, I don't recall him saying about where it came from....Bliss