American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Old Maps Meet Gps Technology

Jennifer

I don't think I have mentioned my new acquisition yet, a DeLorme PN-40 Earthmate GPS. I know Denny is aware of it - since he also accesses the DeLorme forum, and noticed my posts there, inquiring about the latest device in their product line and if it could fulfill all of my needs in a GPS device.

I was assured that it could, and taking a leap of faith, bought one. It not only met, but EXCEEDED my expectations by leaps and bounds! I could go on about it, but I'll spare everyone the details, though feel free to ask any questions. It does everything I want - direct routing for geoaching (which, the device is scheduled for a cool firmware update which will totally enhance the geocaching experience!)...road routing, quick finding and routing to POI's, the ability to save tracks so that I can geotag my photos.

But what I thought was interesting about this device is the data management aspect. Using the included Topo 7 software (and an optional, affordable subscription map service from DeLorme), the device can layer various levels of data, which can be easily turned on / off: topo and street maps and all types of aerial and satellite imagery.

Another very interesting feature that I figured most folks on this forum could appreciate is that with an optional program DeLorme has called XMap, any paper maps can be scanned, imported, and "georeferenced" to match up with current data. With old maps not necessarily being "accurate" some manipulation of the maps may be required, by stretching or warping the digital image until it lines up with the correct data. Once the georeferencing has been done, the current street data is overlaid onto the old map and can be transferred to the GPS. Then, you can head out, hit the road and follow along that old auto trail or obscure alignment of US Highway, on the GPS.

It seems like a fun way to trace those old roads with old maps - but yet - also employing modern technology. For a sneak peek, follow this link. Someone there kindly took an auto trails map of Indiana which I posted and threw it into XMap with no manipulation. Just that result was pretty good. Certainly not DOB accurate, but a good start. The map, incidentally, was one Pat and I used when we collaborated with Thomas Repp on tracing the Ben Hur Route last year.

DeLorme Forum Post: Old Maps on GPS

I'm still happy with my Garmin Quest and it's going to be awhile before a replacement is even considered let alone justified. But the PN-40 is certainly interesting and I can see several advantages. For me, the most important would be planning routes on the same mapset as that used to follow them. The ability to download imagery, the electronic compass, and the expandable memory are also all pluses and I'm sure there are others. On the down side is the lack of audio instructions. At least it is my impression that there is nothing along those lines in the PN-40. I'd welcome being corrected if that's a wrong impression. For me, this has become almost indispensable.

Regarding the "old maps on GPS" capability, I guess that is a combination of the PN-40's ability to layer images and XMap's ImagReg (I picked that word up at the forum;-) feature. I've seen (perhaps old) references on the web to a $99 XMap product but the cheapest XMap product Delorme's site is XMap 6 Professional at $199.

I'm still happy with my Garmin Quest and it's going to be awhile before a replacement is even considered let alone justified. But the PN-40 is certainly interesting and I can see several advantages. For me, the most important would be planning routes on the same mapset as that used to follow them. The ability to download imagery, the electronic compass, and the expandable memory are also all pluses and I'm sure there are others. On the down side is the lack of audio instructions. At least it is my impression that there is nothing along those lines in the PN-40. I'd welcome being corrected if that's a wrong impression. For me, this has become almost indispensable.

Regarding the "old maps on GPS" capability, I guess that is a combination of the PN-40's ability to layer images and XMap's ImagReg (I picked that word up at the forum;-) feature. I've seen (perhaps old) references on the web to a $99 XMap product but the cheapest XMap product Delorme's site is XMap 6 Professional at $199.

Hi Denny, of everything you indicated, the lack of voice prompts is probably the only downside - the PN-40 does everything else. While it doesn't provide voice prompts, it does provide audible signals at .25 mile prior to a turn, and continues as the turn is approached. A quick glance to see what that direction is, is usually all that's needed.

The XMap cost of $99 is valid, that is the cost for anyone who owns a PN-20 or PN-40.

That might, just might, be the feature that finally gets me to save up for a GPS unit.

The quick overlay that the two folks did on the DeLorme forum was impressive...it will be even more so when the maps are manipulated to further enhance the accuracy. I am not aware of any other GPS units that have the data layering capabilities of the DeLorme units, but I know very little (read: nothing) about any other models. I do know that many other GPS models don't even provide maps (other than a base map) and that you have to buy them separately. DeLorme's Earthmate includes their Topo 7 map program, as well as the data on DVDs for easy transfer to the GPS. It was very easy to get up and running with detailed maps in no time.

I might add the XMap program to my arsenal to see how the georegistering of old maps works. Fascinating possibilities for old road junkies!

Jennifer,

Thanks for the report of the PN-40! I posted an earlier question which you probably missed.

I have been using the PN-20 since before the Hypotenuse Trail trip, and on that drive. I know the 40 is faster, and I believe it now has sufficient internal memory to not need SD cards for extra regions. Did they add an external power input? I looked for a comparison table on Delorme but didn’t find it.

It may be of interest to know that the PN-20 is still for sale, and about $200 less now than the PN-40 (at full retail). If the primary difference between the two is in speed and the use of SD chips, the PN-20 might be as functional as the PN-40 for the budget minded.

Can you shed light on any other differences between the PN-40 and the PN-20? I found the PN-20 to be a very good travel companion with two exceptions. The screen is difficult to see without overhead lighting (read “sky”) so it is sometimes annoying in a car. And the absence of an external power input meant I had to change batteries mid day on a day trip. With a more powerful processor, that might be more of a problem.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Jennifer,

Thanks for the report of the PN-40! I posted an earlier question which you probably missed.

I have been using the PN-20 since before the Hypotenuse Trail trip, and on that drive. I know the 40 is faster, and I believe it now has sufficient internal memory to not need SD cards for extra regions. Did they add an external power input? I looked for a comparison table on Delorme but didn’t find it.

It may be of interest to know that the PN-20 is still for sale, and about $200 less now than the PN-40 (at full retail). If the primary difference between the two is in speed and the use of SD chips, the PN-20 might be as functional as the PN-40 for the budget minded.

Can you shed light on any other differences between the PN-40 and the PN-20? I found the PN-20 to be a very good travel companion with two exceptions. The screen is difficult to see without overhead lighting (read “sky”) so it is sometimes annoying in a car. And the absence of an external power input meant I had to change batteries mid day on a day trip. With a more powerful processor, that might be more of a problem.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I'm sorry, I probably did miss the earlier question...my apologies! I was in the market for 1 GPS that would replace 2...my Palm / DeLorme BT-20 combination and a Garmin eTrex. The Palm had the street maps, but was slow and cumbersome (and didn't allow me to *actually* use my Palm for anything else! The Garmin was good for geocaching, but no street maps. The Palm had zero ability to find POI's and route to them, so the PN-40 will do that, as well as track my trips so I can geotag my photos (big bonus points for this too!).

There is a model of the PN-40 called the SE (Special Edition) that has 8 GB internal memory (7.5 GB user-accessible), but also uses an optional SD card, and it can use up to a 32GB SDHC. I bought the regular version, the only difference being 1 GB internal storage. Most of the folks on the DeLorme forums said that even though maps on internal storage is faster, it is not so much so that the regular model is really lesser. It seemed that those who sprang for the additional internal storage just wanted the best money could buy and no problem forking it over. From what I read, the regular PN-40, reading maps from the SD card, is faster at redraws than the PN-40, and there is no noticeable issue reading from the SD card. I have a 16 GB card loaded with the pre-cut maps for AL, AR, GA, IL, MO, KS, TX, IN, OK, OH, TN, KY, totaling 4.7 GB. I still have plenty of room to load more maps, and I could always get another one (I can't imagine when someone would need to have entire US on one card all at the same time), or else I can get a 32 GB card. It's still cheap compared to an extra hundred for the 8GB internal storage.

I do have an external power cord - I bought the optional travel kit, which has a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery that can plugged in to the cigarette lighter for power, and the screen will remain bright and very visible at night. For battery consumption, my understanding is that the rechargeable lasts 3 hours longer when it is charged using the external charger as opposed to charging in the device. People testing on the DeLorme forums reported 8 hours of power vs. 11 hours.

Also, I bought new NiMH rechargables by eneloop. I read on the DeLorme forum that they don't self-discharge, or at least not nearly as fast as normal NiMH batteries.

I bought it at J & R for $339, but I got a $50 credit when they dropped the price, so it was $289. The price seems to be fluctuating back and forth between $275 and $339.

Jennifer,

Boy am I glad someone in this group with your smarts has a PN-40! Now I will be able to learn how to use all the "hidden" features on my PN-20!

I think the PN-20 I bought in March is essentially the same as the PN-40, but with a slower processor, and no option for 8G of internal memory. The SD cards have been no sweat. I need 4 to cover the whole USA, which doesn’t add a whole lot of weight to my baggage! :D

I am going to explore the travel pack thing. It is a small pain to change batteries midday on a long drive. I also use rechargeable Eneloop NiMH batteries and have no complaints, other than the max is 2000 MA, which is less than some other NiMH.

I didn't like the screen light turning off so fast (15sec), and because your purchase prompted me to look at my PN-20 again, I found I can reset the light to turn off at any time I like up to one minute. I may even be able to use it on a low light setting.

I loved the PN-20 on the Hypotenuse Trail trip….and believe me it saved my tail a few times. And having the track, and it being uploadable to TOPO 7.0, I can tell exactly where I was every second. I even knew how fast I was going when stopped by the State Patrol in Nebraska! No sense pleading not guilty!

It was also great to so easily plan a route in TOPO 7.0 and then download it to the PN-20. That’s invaluable when you are in unfamiliar territory, as I was most of the time. And if I got off my planned route, I could use the detailed maps on the PN-20 to choose a way to re-converge on the route.

I have found a nice free product to batch process my photos and write coordinates to the photos’ EXIP. Now I am going to have to try data layering. I knew Delorme had lots of extra maps including aerials, but I didn’t need them. But if I can use my auto trail and other maps on the Delorme somehow, I am really intrigued. Wow!! Since I almost never read instruction manuals, there may be other features I haven’t tried!

Looking forward to your reports so I get full use of my unit! :D

Dave

Jennifer,

Boy am I glad someone in this group with your smarts has a PN-40! Now I will be able to learn how to use all the "hidden" features on my PN-20!

I think the PN-20 I bought in March is essentially the same as the PN-40, but with a slower processor, and no option for 8G of internal memory. The SD cards have been no sweat. I need 4 to cover the whole USA, which doesn’t add a whole lot of weight to my baggage! :D

I am going to explore the travel pack thing. It is a small pain to change batteries midday on a long drive. I also use rechargeable Eneloop NiMH batteries and have no complaints, other than the max is 2000 MA, which is less than some other NiMH.

I didn't like the screen light turning off so fast (15sec), and because your purchase prompted me to look at my PN-20 again, I found I can reset the light to turn off at any time I like up to one minute. I may even be able to use it on a low light setting.

I loved the PN-20 on the Hypotenuse Trail trip….and believe me it saved my tail a few times. And having the track, and it being uploadable to TOPO 7.0, I can tell exactly where I was every second. I even knew how fast I was going when stopped by the State Patrol in Nebraska! No sense pleading not guilty!

It was also great to so easily plan a route in TOPO 7.0 and then download it to the PN-20. That’s invaluable when you are in unfamiliar territory, as I was most of the time. And if I got off my planned route, I could use the detailed maps on the PN-20 to choose a way to re-converge on the route.

I have found a nice free product to batch process my photos and write coordinates to the photos’ EXIP. Now I am going to have to try data layering. I knew Delorme had lots of extra maps including aerials, but I didn’t need them. But if I can use my auto trail and other maps on the Delorme somehow, I am really intrigued. Wow!! Since I almost never read instruction manuals, there may be other features I haven’t tried!

Looking forward to your reports so I get full use of my unit! :D

Dave

I just ordered XMap Pro for $99...since you are a registered user of a PN device, you would be able to get it for that cost as well. That's the program that would allow you to import old maps, and transfer them to your PN-20. As you said, I think power might be the biggest difference between the old and new units. All of the VERY COOL firmware enhancements they are going to come out with for geocaching (I don't remember if you do?) are also applicable to the PN-20.

I really am pleased with this device. I also sold my Garmin eTrex, so I'm recouping some there; and getting that $50 credit when the price dropped solidified the justification. It really is a useful tool to have on trips!