American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Special Events - America On Wheels Museum

Dave Reese

Just to get some new topics started, I would like to post something from the era of two-lane highways happening at Allentown's America on Wheels. And I must say I am really bummed that I will miss this one too.

On Saturday, October 18, there will be a celebration of the 100th birthday of the Model T Ford with an appearance and autograph session with Dennis Gage, host of the TV show "My Classic Car". There will be a number of Model T Fords on display in the parking lot too. Then on Sunday, October 19, there will be two antique car clubs making a tour stop at the museum. I know how much fun these are as I was a docent to give tours to the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg club this past summer. I had as much fun visiting their magnificent cars in the parking lot as they had touring the museum.

And the West Gallery show of American Muscle Cars will end this month and these beauties will be heading out to make room for a show of circle track race cars. The museum Gala will be held after museum closing with Mario Andretti being the honorary host and special guide to these cars as they make their museum debut. This event I will be at, and it will be worth every cent of the special admission charge for dancing and dining in the museum.

I will try to post these items from time to time for those interested in the museum and its displays.

Just to get some new topics started, I would like to post something from the era of two-lane highways happening at Allentown's America on Wheels. And I must say I am really bummed that I will miss this one too.

On Saturday, October 18, there will be a celebration of the 100th birthday of the Model T Ford with an appearance and autograph session with Dennis Gage, host of the TV show "My Classic Car". There will be a number of Model T Fords on display in the parking lot too. Then on Sunday, October 19, there will be two antique car clubs making a tour stop at the museum. I know how much fun these are as I was a docent to give tours to the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg club this past summer. I had as much fun visiting their magnificent cars in the parking lot as they had touring the museum.

And the West Gallery show of American Muscle Cars will end this month and these beauties will be heading out to make room for a show of circle track race cars. The museum Gala will be held after museum closing with Mario Andretti being the honorary host and special guide to these cars as they make their museum debut. This event I will be at, and it will be worth every cent of the special admission charge for dancing and dining in the museum.

I will try to post these items from time to time for those interested in the museum and its displays.

Dave,

Keep em coming!

When I was a kid, I thought the Model T was the first car made! I must have been in my teens before I learned otherwise....boy was I undereducated!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Speaking of the Ford Model T's 100th birthday - we're having a birthday bash in Pontiac, Michigan, next year to celebrate not only the 100th anniversary of the Hudson Automobile (first car off the line was July 3, 1909) but also, to sweeten the pie a bit, the 50th anniversary of the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club. All this is going to be held July 13th thru 17th (Mon-Fri) 2009 at the Centerpoint Marriott Hotel, 3600 Centerpoint Parkway, Pontiiac, Michigan. Visitors are more than welcome so if you find yourself in the area stop on by and enjoy one of the cars that made Americans two lane highways - Hudson officials pushed for better highways back in the teens and a couple were, I think, on the Lincoln Highway Committee.

I know it's a long way off but I'll be sure to post a reminder here on the forum next June.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN