American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Ohio National Road Rally

DennyG

That's tempting. I've wanted to see the NR in eastern Ohio for a long time. Kind of long for a day trip, and that's all the time I'd have. I'll have to think about it.

I certainly don't want to discourage you from coming to Ohio but, for a day trip, I believe you could do better. I think this event is best suited for people who know nothing about the road (and are ready for an introduction) or are already familiar with that area (and looking to have some fun with it). If you drove to Norwich to see the museum, you'd want to drive a few more miles to see the Blaine bridge then a few more miles to Wheeling. And you'd want to stop at every S-bridge, mile marker, and old alignment along the way. When you're concerned with time, following some road rally instructions would probably not be all that much fun.

On the other hand, the museum is normally closed this time of year so being there the day of the rally would give you a chance to see the road and the museum in the autumn.

If you drove to Norwich to see the museum, you'd want to drive a few more miles to see the Blaine bridge then a few more miles to Wheeling. And you'd want to stop at every S-bridge, mile marker, and old alignment along the way.

Oh good heavens, am I that transparent? :P :P

jim

Denny,

Thanks for posting the link. We are contemplating driving down from MI for it. Thinking of making a weekend of it. Are you participating? I have to get out my National Road Guide and refresh my memory, but aren't most of the S-bridges etc. between Zanesville and Wheeling?

Jason

I think a weekend sounds about right. That gives you some time to scout around plus have some fun with the rally. Not sure about myself. I had kind of brushed it aside partly because the closest I have to a regular navigator would want to make it a day trip and I'm not all that interested in dashing to and fro. I'll give it some thought.

I'm guessing that the NR guide you mentioned might be the one from the OHS ( http://www.ohiohistory.org/about/nrtg/ ). If you don't have it, I highly recommend getting one before heading out. It's free. I believe all four of Ohio's surviving NR S-bridges are between Zanesville and Wheeling. Plus there are some brick segments and other goodies. Guerney County has their own signed tour with a guide that's usually available as a PDF here but there seems to be some problem downloading it today.

I think a weekend sounds about right. That gives you some time to scout around plus have some fun with the rally. Not sure about myself. I had kind of brushed it aside partly because the closest I have to a regular navigator would want to make it a day trip and I'm not all that interested in dashing to and fro. I'll give it some thought.

I'm guessing that the NR guide you mentioned might be the one from the OHS ( http://www.ohiohistory.org/about/nrtg/ ). If you don't have it, I highly recommend getting one before heading out. It's free. I believe all four of Ohio's surviving NR S-bridges are between Zanesville and Wheeling. Plus there are some brick segments and other goodies. Guerney County has their own signed tour with a guide that's usually available as a PDF here but there seems to be some problem downloading it today.

Yep, that is the guide I was refering to. Seems to be very well put together. I've had it a couple years and may be able to finally test the contents (we have not driven that section). I think I may even have the Guerney county one too, have to look when I get home. From what I've seen and read it looks like it would be a nice area for a fall drive.

Jake, mobilene, others? Any further plans on this? My biggest potential conflict has been diverted and I have a tentative navigator (area resident & silent forum member Mike Austing) who wouldn't make me drive home on Saturday. I have one remaining conflict but I believe it's easily postponed so I'm back to thinking about doing the rally, spending Saturday at Bakers, then taking some slow road home on Sunday.

I know I tried to talk mobilene out of it (and there's not doubt that this would not be his eastern Ohio dream trip) but it is a chance to see the museum and maybe some orange trees and get in some road time without any of us organizing it. My slow road home could easily be the NR through Springfield and, for anyone staying in the area, a quick trip to Blaine and/or Wheeling is not out of the question; either after the rally or early Sunday morning.

Is Bakers the motel across the street from the museum?

Yep. I've only stayed there once but thought it OK. I'm just an old guy traveling alone so my lodging demands aren't much. Clean and reasonably maintained is pretty much all I require and that describes Baker's. It's not a top tier mom & pop (e.g., Munger Moss) but it's a long way from the bottom. I know what's good enough for me and you know what's good enough for you.

I often post pictures of motels where I stay but this conversation made me realize that, although I took photos at Baker's, I hadn't posted any. I've corrected that here. Baker's website is here.

That's tempting. I've wanted to see the NR in eastern Ohio for a long time. Kind of long for a day trip, and that's all the time I'd have. I'll have to think about it.

Yes, this does sound like a lot of fun for us roadies, Denny. Wish I had the time to take a three day weekend, drive to eastern Ohio on Friday and then drive back on Sunday. And my Dad lives only about 60 miles from the museum, too. But, I got a 400 mile trip from Delaware :(

Matt Smallwood

Jake, mobilene, others? Any further plans on this?

I live in Cambridge, about 17 miles from the museum. Had planned on being at the cruise-in with the 1918 Dodge. (My post about the trip from Indy to NY in 1921 posted last year). However, we had a mishap at our Dodge Brothers annual meet in Kokomo, IN last July. Car will not go into our enclosed trailer with the top up! :( Repairs are still forthcoming. We still may come by without the car.

Les

Yep, I do remember you and that Dodge. Sorry to hear about the "mishap" and hope repairs get worked out.

For me the rally has been on and off 3 or 4 times since my last post and is off at this moment. Of course, it might change a couple more times before Saturday. :D

Did anyone make it to the rally?

No. Just had too many other things to do.

Nope. I'm afraid I didn't make it either. The weather looked great and I gotta believe it was a good time. Glad you made it to the area, Jake, although I'm guessing that the museum was back to normal hours (i.e., closed) on Sunday. I wasn't aware of the hillside slide at Putnam but it's been a few years since I've actively looked for slides:-)

I did get in a little National Road over the weekend, though. I was at my parents in Greenville on Saturday and took the NR east to Columbus at the end of the day. I made my second visit to the Forty Motel (great neon sign, OK room) and tried out two eating establishments for the first time. Dinner was at the Red Brick Tavern in Lafayette. Breakfast was at Tommy's Diner. Both were excellent.

I thought of going on to Zanesville on Sunday but instead followed US-23 to Portsmouth where I tried out the new Ohio River bridge before heading home on OH-125. The trees were rather disappointing. It's been extremely dry so they might just fall off before getting very colorful. I'll keep hoping