American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

West Coast Cruise Completed

I'm back in Ohio after a west coast trip of which there has been some inklings here in various forum threads. I thought I'd put the "I'm Done" message in the US-101 forum since the bulk of the trip was on 101. During the trip I was able to meet KtSotR and take advantage of some (but not nearly enough) of Becky's recommendations. I certainly enjoyed meeting KtSotR and the short drive we got to share. Thanks, Dave, for both lunch & navigation. I know I missed more of Becky's suggestions than I hit but the miss I really regret is Mo's chowder. Of course, as we all know, missing something is just a reason to return.

I picked up US-101 a little north of my Silverdale, WA, starting point and followed it, except for a short diversion on WA-112, around the Olympic peninsula. I also left it, using US-26 & US-20, to take in the Historic Columbia River Highway and Mount Hood. The drive ended in San Francisco with the last 200 miles or so using CA-1 rather than US-101. I didn't really drive any of the Lincoln Highway but did touch its western terminus in San Francisco. The trip journal is here.

Denny,

Glad you made it back home to Ohio safely! It was good to break a little bread and share a few experiences on the road!

As always, your write up is excellent!

I didn’t realize you were going to take CA 1 part of the way until I saw the report. That takes me back 45 years! You didn’t happen to see the Skunk Train in Fort Bragg, did you?

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

(btw, your Prev and Next links on page 9 are kaput.)
Gottem. Thanks. I'll repeat that I really appreciate having problems like that pointed out to me since I may never encounter them myself. When anyone sees errors on my site, please let me know.

You didn’t happen to see the Skunk Train in Fort Bragg, did you?
Yes, I didn't. In hindsight I probably should have checked it out and grabbed a picture or two but I didn't plan on riding it so guess I sort of pushed it from my mind.

Great trip report Denny. It's always interesting seeing someone else's perspective on someplace that you had just been. In addition to the Avenue of the Giants and California's North Coast, we took the family to the Legion of Honor and spent two days in San Francisco as part of the staycation during the second week of our vacation.

I do regret not getting my pictures of the Crescent City area up before you traveled through but it looks like you were able to see as much as you could given the time you had.

Roadhound

It's always interesting seeing someone else's perspective on someplace that you had just been.

Indeed it is. I'm really enjoying the Scenes From The Redwood Empire thread even though your travels preceded mine by a bit. From one of your earlier posts, I had marked the town of Scotia as a promising stop but time interfered. Another item for the "next time" list.