American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

The Cannon Ball Route?

Hello guys and gals,

I was surfing the web tonight, and noticed an old guide on PPOO.org that mentioned the Cannon Ball Route from Chicago to Hannibal, MO. It says "marked with black cannon ball on poles." How very intriguing! Has anyone run across any other reference mat'l concerning the route or the interesting markers? I can imagine that this route would be short-lived, as everyone would want to steal the markers...

http://ppoo.org/PPOOmapGuides/large-2.html

Thanks!

Wes

I was surfing the web tonight, and noticed an old guide on PPOO.org that mentioned the Cannon Ball Route from Chicago to Hannibal, MO. It says "marked with black cannon ball on poles." How very intriguing! Has anyone run across any other reference mat'l concerning the route or the interesting markers?

I did a quick search, but there is not a lot of material on it.

Here's an overview of where the trail went:

http://academic.marion.ohio-state.edu/schu...e/cannontr.html

The Illinois map on KTSoTR's site shows a section of it that is labeled:

http://historicalroadmaps.com/IllinoisPage...age/image1.html

Chris

Hello guys and gals,

I was surfing the web tonight, and noticed an old guide on PPOO.org that mentioned the Cannon Ball Route from Chicago to Hannibal, MO. It says "marked with black cannon ball on poles." How very intriguing! Has anyone run across any other reference mat'l concerning the route or the interesting markers? I can imagine that this route would be short-lived, as everyone would want to steal the markers...

http://ppoo.org/PPOOmapGuides/large-2.html

Thanks!

Wes

Wes,

Welcome again! Anyone who spots the Cannon Ball and throws it out for us to research is tossing raw meat to a pack of wolves!

It appears that like a lot of auto trails, the cannon ball had a varied existence. For one thing, the symbol is represented in at least two different ways. The National Survey maps say the symbol is a “C over a Cannon Ball.” The 1923 Rand McNally auto trail maps represent it in two ways.. One has the C over the ball, and another has the “C” to the left. The Clason’s map on my web site from 1926 shows it with the “C” to the left.

Then there is the matter of where the road went. The National Survey and the Clason’s start it in or near Chicago and both end it in Quincy, IL. But the 1923 Rand McNally ends it in Kansas City, MO and includes a branch into Burlington, IL!

So I suppose one might guess that the Cannon Ball folks early on declared their trail to go between Chicago and Kansas City with a branch to Burlington, but later shortened it to end in Quincy. The section between Quincy and Kansas City and the Burlington Branch were “lost!”

So, that is a start on the “Mystery of the Lost Cannon Ball”

Keep the Show on the Road! (KtSotR)

Dave

Wes,

Here is another version of the pole markings for the Cannon Ball Trail….black “ball” with no “C.” This is from the 1920 TIB (Touring Information Bureau of America) Automobile Route Guide

The Cannon Ball Trail strip maps below are from the same source.

I’m thinking this route needs a reconnaissance mission. Are you the man on (or near) the spot?

BTW, if you need higher resolution scans to read the detail, I will scan them for you.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

ARCB38.jpg

ARCB39.jpg

ARCB40.jpg

ARCB43.jpg

ARCBSym.jpg

Dave

Guys,

Thanks very much for the great info! Those strip maps are fantastic!

What really peaked my interest was the description of the markers being cannon balls on poles. I suppose they meant pictoral representations of cannon balls on telephone poles. I was imagining a sort of mini-76 ball made of iron... :)

The most convenient part of the route is around 3 hrs from my house. It is something I wouldn't mind hitting the road for, but that will have to happen at a later date. I'm pretty incapable of doing it right now -- I'm in the middle of buying a house, and just bought a new car. So, it will take some time to recover, if you know what i mean.

I'm going to do some exploring closer to home for now -- I'd like to trace and drive the apparently multiple routes of the PPOO through Decatur. I believe one alignment is 0.5 mi from my new house, another is about 2.5, and another is just a few more than that. I even found some original exposed pavement of what is most certainly the PPOO / US-36 -- now on private property. But, I digress...

Thanks again for the info - I'll save the strip maps and will try to make it a project for the future.

Wes

Guys,

Thanks very much for the great info! Those strip maps are fantastic!

What really peaked my interest was the description of the markers being cannon balls on poles. I suppose they meant pictoral representations of cannon balls on telephone poles. I was imagining a sort of mini-76 ball made of iron... :)

The most convenient part of the route is around 3 hrs from my house. It is something I wouldn't mind hitting the road for, but that will have to happen at a later date. I'm pretty incapable of doing it right now -- I'm in the middle of buying a house, and just bought a new car. So, it will take some time to recover, if you know what i mean.

I'm going to do some exploring closer to home for now -- I'd like to trace and drive the apparently multiple routes of the PPOO through Decatur. I believe one alignment is 0.5 mi from my new house, another is about 2.5, and another is just a few more than that. I even found some original exposed pavement of what is most certainly the PPOO / US-36 -- now on private property. But, I digress...

Thanks again for the info - I'll save the strip maps and will try to make it a project for the future.

Wes

Wes,

New house and new car! Life must be good, even if it cuts into your travel a bit. :)

The Cannonball is certainly a catchy name. I imagine they slapped a little white paint on the pole and drew a black “ball” on it. I wish there were more photos of old telephone poles with trail markers on them. You would think them to be common, even if they appeared by “accident” in the background of a photo.

If you are going to follow the PPOO, I know you are aware of the PPOO site, and it is an excellent source for material. In fact its owner is a member here.

I can probably help with some additional maps and guides, if you like. I have a couple of PPOO guides and tons of maps that show the old routes, as well as Automobile Blue Book turn by turn directions for most routes over several years in their development.

I usually get a kick out of helping with the maps and guides end of an old road adventure, since I obviously can’t travel all the old routes myself. I did do a bit of the PPOO in Kansas a couple of months ago, and was surprised at how much of the original alignments and roadside architecture still exists. I’ll be back one day! And I envy your access to it.

Let me know if I can help!

Dave

Hmmmmmm, this has tweaked my memory. I used to live in Princeton, which seems to be just about 1/2 way on the route. I remember my Dad talking about the "Cannon Ball Route" when I was but a wee lad. He will be here later and I will ask him.

Hutch

Hutch,

Looking forward to what your Dad may recall!

Dave

Welp, he just left......He told me he has no memory of any such route, but I know he talked about it when I was a kid. I guess that's that.......

I was kind of hoping he had some knowledge to share.

Hutch,

Well, I guess your Dad is like most of us! After 50 or more years, the details aren’t there anymore. Heck, I couldn’t hang on to them between the lecture and the quiz! On the other hand, I had an aunt in her late 90’s who passed on recently, and until the day she died she could remember practically everything.

I’m not thinking that the Cannon Ball was a big deal even in its time. There were roads like the Yellowstone or the Lincoln that had solid organizations and long time support, but I think a lot of the more local auto trails were pretty much the scheme of a few promoters whose almost exclusive interest was selling advertising, or promoting business long the route.

I almost think the only barrier to creating an auto trail was whether you could afford the paint and time to paint the poles! :D I was surprised to find the route identified in the TIB Guide.

But, it would be fun to follow one day!

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave