American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Free 1957/58 Motor Trend Magazines & Off Topic Reflections.

I have been cleaning the garage, and I discovered maybe 20 1957 and 1958 Motor Trend magazines. I have reread them and see some fun stuff others may enjoy. If anyone wants certain features (e.g. Corvettes, Ramblers, Chevrolets) or specific dates, post here before July 4 and I will try to meet your interests…free. Limit 5 per member, and my decision who gets what is final! <_< I’ll even sport the media mail costs so that they have good homes. Early requests get higher consideration and kind words about my posts always earn special treatment. :D

Beemerchef’s stories of Spirit’s behaviors and his reflections that “Life is Good”, and Pat and Jennifer’s trip to one of 10,000 lakes, prompts me to drift off road topics and share just a touch of life off the road.

We are watching three families of geese. We have lived in our tiny house on the lake for almost 20 years, and each season is a surprise. This year 20 or thirty geese have decided that the lawn down by the dock is their “grazing” ground.

A month or so ago there were two families of goslings, no bigger than tennis balls being shepherded around by their moms and dads. Now the little ones are almost as big as their parents. For some reason our place has become their favorite breakfast stop, and a third family has joined them. They swim up to the path I cut in the plants along the bank and troop to breakfast in file.

One of the parents for each family serves as lookout. It is easy to spot the lookouts because they don’t eat, they just stretch out their necks as long as possible, and watch for danger. The other morning an otter plopped himself/ herself up and the dock, and the geese were gone in a shot. The house is probably about 100 – 200 yards from the lake, but if I open the door to the deck, the lookouts spot me and the whole gang troops off the lawn and into the lake. Then they swim off in three flotillas.

They don’t come up on the lawn at all when ‘ole Bo is on the deck. He is way too old and feeble to be a threat, but of course they don’t know that.

One of the does has two fawns this spring, and they were coming down too close to the house for Bo’s liking. He hasn’t chased one for at least 5 years, and they know it. But he likes to let then know that he still owns the territory, so he planted himself yesterday in their normal pathway. When I noted his inhospitality, I called him to come closer to the house, so he slowly peed on each apple tree as he retreated.

As has been said “Life is good!”

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Dave,

Great off road reflections. I could picture 'ole Bo marking his land as my dog's had done for years. I sure miss having a dog around after having them for over 35 years.

And if you found any articles on Triumphs, or other little British Cars, I would love to have them for my library. I also have great interest in cars like the Muntz Jet, and on old Indy 500 races, so probably any issue would be a welcome addition. Thanks for the offer, and pet Bo once for me.

Now to go shop for a longer lens for the upcoming cruise - land vacation in Alaska...

Dave,

Great off road reflections. I could picture 'ole Bo marking his land as my dog's had done for years. I sure miss having a dog around after having them for over 35 years.

And if you found any articles on Triumphs, or other little British Cars, I would love to have them for my library. I also have great interest in cars like the Muntz Jet, and on old Indy 500 races, so probably any issue would be a welcome addition. Thanks for the offer, and pet Bo once for me.

Now to go shop for a longer lens for the upcoming cruise - land vacation in Alaska...

Dave,

They seem to be preoccupied with the Triumph 3 and with Indy races, so I’ll look through and pick out some prime examples and send them along when the give away is over.

When and how are you going to Alaska?

Dave

Dave,

They seem to be preoccupied with the Triumph 3 and with Indy races, so I’ll look through and pick out some prime examples and send them along when the give away is over.

When and how are you going to Alaska?

Dave

Thanks so much Dave...

I will be flying to Fairbanks the end of August, after a day in Fairbanks we meet up with a Princess Cruise group for motorcoach and train to Denali, Mt. McKinley, and Anchorage, then boarding the ship including stops in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan, then landing in Vancouver. We will stay there two days before flying back home, so I can do a bit of driving around Vancouver while we are there, but not American roads...

Thanks again.