American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Help Me Hoosiers

DennyG

So there I am in downtown South Bend when I see this US-31 sign. Thirty-one's got something to do with the Dixie, right? Seemed like a good thing to follow so I did. And that's how I ended up on divided four-lane all the way to Rochester. That's where I'm parked for the night and I've located (via DeLorme) Old Hwy US 31 running south out of town (and north, too, but it's too late for that). I'll take that but I can only trace it to Peru. What happens then? Is it back to the four-lane current US-31? Does anyone (roadmaven? mobilene?) knows something better?

Also, if left to my own devices, I'll probably head directly home at the north edge of Indy - or sooner - but I could be talked into a detour through Plainfield to sample a tenderloin at The Diner if I knew I'd have company. Any Indy area folks not grilling out tomorrow?

Some parts of 31 were absolutely the Dixie. From downtown South Bend, you had to take Main St. south; the Dixie was one block east, on Michigan St. When you merged back in to Michigan St. on the south side of town you merged into the Dixie -- and the Michigan Road. Then 31 was the Dixie/Mich Rd right up until you drove past the exit ramp to Plymouth. Had you taken that, you would have stayed on the Dixie/Mich Rd. on Old 31. There would have been a slightly confusing moment where Old 31 met the four-lane 31 again south of Plymouth, but if you had gone south on it and then taken the first left, you would have been back on the Dixie/Mich Rd and entered Rochester on it. BTW, Plymouth is very nice for a town its size. If you ever get the chance, do drive through it.

If you are interested in following the Dixie -- and the Michigan Road, as well -- follow State Road 25 out of Rochester to Logansport. The road will T at 6th St.; turn left and go over the river. Drive to Broadway St. and then turn right. Drive to 3rd St. and turn left. Follow 3rd; after it crosses the other river in town it becomes Burlington Ave. When you get out of Logansport, the road becomes State Road 29 and, later, US 421. It is a straight shot, save a few tiny towns, through to Indy. The tiny towns have gas stations and maybe a local eatery but there will be no major amenities until you near Indy. 421/MR/Dixie has an interchange with I-465 in Indy if you want to head home quickly from there.

*BIG TIP* - A short original one-lane alignment of the Michigan Road remains south of Logansport, immediately south of the little town of Deer Creek. If you want to see it, watch for when SR 218 multiplexes in. It won't multiplex with 29 for long. As soon as 218 demuxes from 29 and goes its own way (right), you will cross a small creek. 29 will jog left a bit. The old alignment is on your right, but you can't access it yet. Look for CR 400 N on your left as 29 swings back left. When you see it, the beginning of the old alignment is on your right and you should be able to turn onto it. There will be a historical marker there -- Sycamore Row, I think it's called. This is because the row of sycamores that line this stretch of road grew out of sycamore logs used to make a plank road here a gazillion years ago. The bridge over the creek is long gone, unfortunately, but the one-lane alignment remains.

Have fun!

jim

Does anyone (roadmaven? mobilene?) knows something better?

Also, if left to my own devices, I'll probably head directly home at the north edge of Indy - or sooner - but I could be talked into a detour through Plainfield to sample a tenderloin at The Diner if I knew I'd have company. Any Indy area folks not grilling out tomorrow?

Denny, I'll second what Jim said. Heading through Logansport would be the way to go.

Sorry we won't be in town to stop by The Diner with you. I ate there last Wednesday, but we are traveling tomorrow and probably arrive too late for dinner.

Tonight we are also at a motel on the Dixie in Cartersburg, Georgia, ready to head home in the morning.

Just took this picture this morning between Tunnel Hill and Dalton, Georgia. Thought you might enjoy:

med_gallery_3329_28_1119729.jpg

Chris

Excellent! Looks like you saved me from taking the wrong road out of Rochester, too. So part of the Michigan Road you've been following through the south of Indiana, coincides with the Dixie? Hmmm, if I had known where I was going, I could have prepared much better and might know where I am. The route through Loganport is now in the GPS and I'll definitely check out Sycamore Row. I'm also looking forward to watching a live demuxing :D Big thanks!

Have fun with the route today!

The Michigan Road enters South Bend from the west on Lincolnway West (Business US 20) and then LaSalle St. Then it leaves the old Lincoln routing and heads south on Michigan St. (Old 31). The Dixie follows Old 31 into South Bend from Michigan. So the two routes meet at Michigan and LaSalle. They diverge again within Indy, I think at 16th St., but I'm not entirely sure about that.

BTW, as you head north to south through Rochester, to stay on Old 31 you actually have to bear left just before Fast Food Row on the south edge of town. The Michigan Road, aka SR 25, goes straight through and under current 31.

jim

Edited by mobilene

. Any Indy area folks not grilling out tomorrow?

Hey Denny, wondered which old roads you would be traversing on this long weekend. Looking forward to reading about the cruise in your journal.

I initially thought we had taken 31 from MI through IN a few years ago but looked at my atlas and, alas, see that it was 41/63 from near Gary to Terre Haute instead. Cool drive, though.

Don't know about the Indy area folks grilling this weekend but my plans for Weberizing pork steaks have been washed out, as we have had over 1/2" of rain since yesterday and it's still coming down. There was a time when that wouldn't have stopped me but I'm older now and.........(big sigh here). The marinated pork steaks will go into an old iron skillet instead and I'll bake spuds and onions on an electric grill that's under the deck overhang.

Hope to see you, Pat, and Jennifer at Litchfield on Saturday morning the 21st. We'll be driving 'Lil Red (weather permitting) and will try to park at the Comfort Inn so we can peruse the old cars on 66 and say "hey" to friends. Cancelled Hampton and Ariston reservations and will stay at Art's for forty bucks and party with STL cruisers at Farmersville's three saloons on Saturday afternoon. The peel 'n eat shrimp and hot wings at Champ's are an awesome way to end the party!.....Bliss

Rather than start a topic to surprise everyone with the news that I did some driving over Memorial Day, I'll just combine it with my thank yous here even though only a wee bit was on the Dixie. The journal is up at http://www.dennygibson.com/mem2008/index.htm

Thanks to mobilene & Chris for the advise. Jim, your tips on Sycamore Row got me there with ease. There was a pickup parked at the end of the one-lane when I drove it and I'm sure glad he didn't want out while I was there. It was a big 4-by-4 thing that could probably have climbed right over me if he wanted.

Pat caught up with me at a wide spot on US-421 and showed me the "indirect" route to The Diner and a tenderloin. Good way to finish the weekend.

Bliss, will definitely see you in Litchfield. I guess your rain eventually made it east. I stayed dry until I hooked up with Pat then he lead me right to it.

Denny, I liked that shot of 20 rolling gently. And it was great to see the shots of the '51 Hudson convertible. I love Hudsons from that era. And the shot of the White House No. 1 in Logansport -- driven by it a bazillion times, so often I don't even notice it there anymore, but I have never, ever looked inside. Love how the color has worn off the edges of the laminate counter. Thanks for the interior shot. And finally, I'm glad you found Sycamore Row with no trouble. jim

Rather than start a topic to surprise everyone with the news that I did some driving over Memorial Day, I'll just combine it with my thank yous here even though only a wee bit was on the Dixie. The journal is up at http://www.dennygibson.com/mem2008/index.htm

Thanks to mobilene & Chris for the advise. Jim, your tips on Sycamore Row got me there with ease. There was a pickup parked at the end of the one-lane when I drove it and I'm sure glad he didn't want out while I was there. It was a big 4-by-4 thing that could probably have climbed right over me if he wanted.

Pat caught up with me at a wide spot on US-421 and showed me the "indirect" route to The Diner and a tenderloin. Good way to finish the weekend.

Bliss, will definitely see you in Litchfield. I guess your rain eventually made it east. I stayed dry until I hooked up with Pat then he lead me right to it.

I started following this trip a couple of days go, but got "distracted" with your great grandparents Florida trip. Great reading.

Oh yah, your buried courthouse.....happens all the time. That's how the term, "He thinks he's above the law" originated. :rolleyes:

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave