American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

American Road Garage - October News And Views

Jennifer ran into the American Road Garage this morning. Seems she had been out in another graveyard doing her geo cacheing thing. “I found it, I found it”...she was practically shouting. We still don’t know what she found, but it must have been pretty good! Roadmaven tried to calm her down, but she jogged out the lube bay doors with her GPS at eye level, and a glazed look on her face. (BTW did you see her great photos in the latest American Road Magazine?)

Several members of the garage gang took a fall tour of southern Indiana and into a bit of Kentucky. As Denny tells it, (see his write up at his site) the highlight of the trip was the visit to the restored West baden Springs Hotel. Denny went to visit Santa Claus alone, which is either sad, or kinda greedy! Everyone praised Roadmaven for setting the tour up. Mobilene who had to take cold showers for a couple of days skipped the trip to install a new water heater, but he said he had a good time traveling vicariously.

Larry F, our man on the scene, has been feeding us reports on the Lincoln Highway, and just about everything else roadworthy. Lots of good stuff! Much appreciated!

We have a new road expert on board. Cbustapeck has been photographing and sharing his section of the old National Road, including the location of the mileposts and taverns. He has also spotted some maps that show all the artifacts along the road in Ohio. He also offered up some of the best fall foliage shots, and a clever way to post photos. Welcome again to the gang!

Fall is in the air. In fact winter is peeking in. The customers are looking at buying antifreeze and some are changing to 20 weight oil. The boss is pushing us to push wiper blades...

Keep has been posting more vintage maps at historicalroadmaps.com. He now has about two thirds of the 1926 state maps up and several others including a 1926 Hobbs Guide to the Dixie Highway, and strip maps of the Lincoln in Colorado. More are on the way. Only American Road forum members can request maps be posted.

Brownwho63 revealed that he is a former tractor jockey. That’s not all, he painted flames on his father's Oliver (tractor!) when he was a kid. You can take the boy off the farm, but you can’t take the farm out of the boy!

Becky stopped by from headquarters. She has been getting the gift shop ready for Christmas. Watch for special announcements! She also announced that we are going to need a server upgrade to accommodate all the new traffic on the American Road site.

And boy, I didn’t think they could do it, but the Autumn issue of American Road topped the prior winner. All the luminaries here were in great form....thanks for great reads and road views. And we now know why Roadmaven is using the Ben Hur symbol. It isn’t that he fancies himself a charioteer...or maybe it is!

Eyerobic has undertaken to document an entire highway in New Jersey, US 130, which btw, was a section of the old Victory Highway of auto trails days. Bravo and better hurry up before the goodies get torn down!

Patphoto2001 pulled onto the upper island on a cycle and asked for advice on a cycle trip through Colorado next spring. Practically before he had the engine turned off, dwillman66 had leapt over the gas pump island and was giving detailed descriptions of routes and sights, for a biker’s delight. Impressive! He knows his stuff!

Usroadman also stepped up and gave cbustapeck some advice on the roads between Baltimore and Raleigh, NC. Do we have the country covered, or what!!

We even got an inquiry from a Croatian fellow (bolinaga ) who has been traveling all of Europe with his family since 1999 and now plans to do the same in the USA and Canada. DennyG, road expert extraordinaire, provided some cogent counsel. Bolinaga made us all feel better....he said gas is half as much in the USA as it is where he lives! Enjoy it while we can!!!

Well, lots more is happening...but that’s all 'ole Keep can remember this morning...

One small whoops. The Bremers instigated the whole Santa Claus thing and were with me (or I with them) until we crossed US-231 and they headed homeward. I was, however, all alone for the pulled pork, warm pecan pie, and the Ballad of Jed Clampett.

One small whoops. The Bremers instigated the whole Santa Claus thing and were with me (or I with them) until we crossed US-231 and they headed homeward. I was, however, all alone for the pulled pork, warm pecan pie, and the Ballad of Jed Clampett.

Gees, my poor attempt at humor and it was defunct at the onset!

Glad you all at a great trip!

Keep the Show on the Road!

I was really tempted to keep quiet and let the humor flow but, in the end, I just couldn't let people think that Jennifer brushed off Santa Claus. Plus there was the chance that a photo of Pat singing Frosty the Snowman might surface and reveal the truth.

Plus there was the chance that a photo of Pat singing Frosty the Snowman might surface and reveal the truth.

That sly dog made sure he was out of the line of fire when a camera was shot! B)

That sly dog made sure he was out of the line of fire when a camera was shot! B)

We'll have to see about that...I haven't posted MY photos yet!

And no, I couldn't pass by Santa Claus - after all, he's never passed me by! :D