American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Found Polaroid Photographs

eyerobic

Thanks for that mobilene,

I hope to create a collection like this, documenting SURVIVORS of Roadside America.

Or at least Roadside New Jersey.

... Chris

Edited by eyerobic

Thanks for that mobilene,

I hope to create a collection like this, documenting SURVIVORS of Roadside America.

Or at least Roadside New Jersey.

... Chris

Chris,

Good plan. I recall a nice theater sign you posted....will we see more soon?

Keep the Show on the Road!

Chris,

Good plan. I recall a nice theater sign you posted....will we see more soon?

Ahh yes, the Colonial in Phoenixville, PA. I missed "Blobfest" again this year. Maybe I can get another marquee photo someday. I have other goodies earmarked in PA, but my project for NJ is to document the survivors of US Route 130. It will be hard not to stray from that, but I find it interesting, what can be found on just a single Highway. This is the classic ribbon of Commercial zone. Old Motels, Car Dealerships, Diners, Drive-In Burgers and other folly. I've lost a couple relics recently, due to my procrastination. But I hope to capture what I can, before it all goes away...

.. Chris

Ahh yes, the Colonial in Phoenixville, PA. I missed "Blobfest" again this year. Maybe I can get another marquee photo someday. I have other goodies earmarked in PA, but my project for NJ is to document the survivors of US Route 130. It will be hard not to stray from that, but I find it interesting, what can be found on just a single Highway. This is the classic ribbon of Commercial zone. Old Motels, Car Dealerships, Diners, Drive-In Burgers and other folly. I've lost a couple relics recently, due to my procrastination. But I hope to capture what I can, before it all goes away...

.. Chris

Chris,

Now that we know you are documenting a whole highway, we get to offer advice. :lol: And you know that free advice is worth every penny you pay for it!! :rolleyes:

You will never make my mistakes, but one of mine over the years has been to be sure the sign stands out with as little distraction as possible in the frame. That works great for the sign book I will never write. But what turns out to be just as interesting is the background (setting) of the sign. So after you have taken the up close shots that will go in your as yet unannounced book, step back and take a half dozen shots of the sign in its setting. It isn’t the sign alone that is going away.

I have been reading Brian Butkos great book Greetings from the Lincoln Highway, and one of the many values of the book is that it provides the context of the Lincoln, state by state. I had no idea that New Jersey is the most densely populated state, and I have also “discovered” on his pages some little know stories of diners and the like. When you get your sign shots done, you can do Greetings from the 130!

I couldn’t resist looking up the 130 on a map, and that led to a review of the 1924 and 1913 Automobile Blue Books describing the route in those years. In 1913 one interesting description is “13.6 Bridgeboro, 4-corners; straight thru. Go thru covered bridge joining trolly “ This is on the section between Camden and Burlington where the road crosses the Rancocas Creek. (The 13.6 is the distance from the ferry landing at Camden.) Talk about things going away!!!

I look forward to seeing more of your photos and descriptions of a route I will probably not see up close myself.

.. Chris

Chris,

Incidentally, as I was posting the 1926 Clason's road map of New Jersey to Historical Road Maps, I noticed that your US 130 was a section of the Victory Highway back then. Maybe that helps explain why it has classic roadside businesses.

Anyway, I found your plan interesting, and I look forward to the results!