American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Boone's Lick Road, Buckeye Style

DennyG

After twice being scared off by snow, I finally reached Boone's Lick Road. Kip, Bliss, and others did this in February and got me thinking about it. The threat of rain almost scared me away this time but it turned out not to be much of a problem. While in the area, I also stopped by some other places like Boone's Grave & Fort Osage plus I ate at the Stein House (largely to make Kip & Bliss jealous) in Boonville. My report's at http://www.dennygibson.com/blick0507/

After twice being scared off by snow, I finally reached Boone's Lick Road. Kip, Bliss, and others did this in February and got me thinking about it. The threat of rain almost scared me away this time but it turned out not to be much of a problem. While in the area, I also stopped by some other places like Boone's Grave & Fort Osage plus I ate at the Stein House (largely to make Kip & Bliss jealous) in Boonville. My report's at http://www.dennygibson.com/blick0507/

Great write up and photos, as usual! Too bad about the camera and GPS. I hope you managed to fix them.

Great grandfather slept at the City Hotel in Lexington the night of October 21, 1864, no doubt at the Government Rate. His regiment (7th Kansas Cavalry) was on the way to do battle with the Confederates under Gen. Price. His position as Quartermaster Sergeant gave him some minor privileges, like a place to sleep out of the rain. To quote his diary for that date:

Friday, 21st. We had just got our beds made down last night when orders came to get ready to march immediately. In half an hour we were in column, a battalion of Mo. cavalry in advance, our regiment next. The night was very dark and cold and a sleeting storm was falling and altogether made an unpleasant night.

At one time a party of rebels approached our advance and we captured six of them. About midnight we reached the suburbs of Lexington and companies A and G of our regiment were dismounted and moved into town on foot, followed by the column. Six rebel soldiers were captured as they were passing through the town. Our regiment picketed all roads leading out of town. Brigade and our regiment headquarters were established in the City Hotel.

The brigade camped in various parts of town. I hitched my horse to a street post and got lodging at the hotel. At 9 A.M. Gen. McNeal with his brigade moved out of town on the old Independence Road. Price had left town on that road yesterday. We reached Wellington seven miles distant at 1 P.M. where we halted near an hour, then moved on and are camped tonight on Five Bottom Prairie 12 miles from Wellington. It was cold and unpleasant all day. We are now in Johnson county.

Just like great gramps, gotta Keep the Show on the Road!

Had I known your great-granddad had been in the area just a few decades back, I'd have looked for anything he might have left along the road. But I think it likely that his "old Independence Road" was the same as my MO-224 and that anything falling from his pack has been washed away with a flood. I didn't notice any thing that might have been the City Hotel but that doesn't mean much.

As for the electronics, the GPS is just fine but not so the camera. Apparently the GPS problem really was "some nasty weather somewhere" since it started picking up signals later in the day and worked just fine on Sunday and Monday. Panasonic has a flat rate of about $160 to repair my camera and that probably is about what the camera's worth. It's a year and a half old and the line has gone through two model changes in that time. The latest model, with more pixels and other improvements, can be had for not much more than $300. Looks like a purchase is better than a repair.