American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Route 66 Photos - Joliet, Il To Springfield, Il

My wife (Katherine) and I finally gotten back to our Route 66 journeys this month. Our first and only adventure had been the short segment between Chicago and Joliet back in January 2009, so we picked up this time in Joliet and I have finished posting our first day's photos, from Joliet to Springfield. We went all of the way to Oklahoma City on this trip, so the following days will follow later.

I've just finished looking at a lot of Denny's photos, and I guess we just missed following him by a couple of weeks!

These photos are from Monday, August 6, 2012, and quite a few things were closed. Highlights for our journey:

• Eating at breakfast at The Old Route 66 Family Restaurant in Dwight
  • Visiting the Route 66 Museum in Pontiac
  • Sampling Funks Grove maple sirup
  • Lunch at the Dixie Travel Plaza
  • Dinner at the Cozy Drive In

We camped at the Springfield KOA that night.

Here are the photos, they are all geotagged for those who want to find where they were taken:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowlandweb/sets/72157631143252906/

I'll post the next installment once I have finished tagging them.

Chris

Edited by Chris Rowland

Chris,

Good to see you on the forum! It has been a while.

I liked all the photos, but the one of Ambler's Texaco was my favorite. It looked like the real thing, with one minor exception. The lube bay doors were evenly open......no way! You "threw" those doors open in the morning, and they seldom stopped at the same height.

My "old timer" comment aside, it looks as though you captured every 66 icon in Illinois....and then some. I enjoyed taking the ride with you and Katherine.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Thanks, Dave! We had a great trip, and there are many more photos to come. After our journey, I'm a little road-tripped out, which is somewhat surprising. I'm sure that feeling won't last too long.

I can't believe how much research goes into planning a trip like this. If I hadn't found most of these places ahead of time and plugged their coordinates into my GPS, I'm sure I would have missed at least half of the sights.

Chris

I can't believe how much research goes into planning a trip like this. If I hadn't found most of these places ahead of time and plugged their coordinates into my GPS, I'm sure I would have missed at least half of the sights.

Chris

I sort of wondered how you hit so many neat places. It not only captured the spots, but it gave me a "feel" for the area.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Finally made it through the pictures. Excellent!

What method do you use for geotagging?

Regarding GPS coordinates for attractions, some fairly good sets are becoming available commercially. I've used the one published by Spot-It-Out and been fairly happy. I doubt any set is 100% complete or contains everything you're personally interested in but they can save a lot of typing.