American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Road Trips

One of the Hudson car club members posted the following about a family whose been on an extended road trip in a 1928 Graham-Paige Model 610.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42381709/ns/today-todaytravel/?gt1=43001

I love this line from the write up - " They must stay away from highways because the car can't go faster than 40 miles per hour."

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

There is no way to top that! But judging by the size of their growing family, they aren't spending all their time driving. :rolleyes:

I was driving behind a Graham a few days ago...I even got a video. It looked original, but it wasn't as old as the one in the story you cited.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I recall reading about this but it was many miles and at least a couple of kids back. Since then, those kids have certainly learned a lot more than I have.

They mention "meals that included monkey and live ants". Well, I've had meals with live ants, too, but I try to brush them off the picnic table before I've eaten many.

There are neither old cars nor young kids involved but here's the blog of another world traveling couple that I've been enjoying.

I recall reading about this but it was many miles and at least a couple of kids back. Since then, those kids have certainly learned a lot more than I have.

They mention "meals that included monkey and live ants". Well, I've had meals with live ants, too, but I try to brush them off the picnic table before I've eaten many.

There are neither old cars nor young kids involved but here's the blog of another world traveling couple that I've been enjoying.

Denny,

Gees, I thought radar speed traps were a problem! Ten police road blocks in less than 100 miles could spoil a whole trip!

I confess to being intimidated by guns pointed at me, and the threat of routine extortion as a part of a road trip would be worse then bedbugs as a travel deterrent! That kind of road tripping is not my cup of tea!

I looked at the pictures, and as interesting as they were, I was happy not to be there.

Dave

PS. The object of Denny's link will probably change as new stories are posted, so suffice it to note that the story relates to police road blocks in Latin America.

Denny,

Gees, I thought radar speed traps were a problem! Ten police road blocks in less than 100 miles could spoil a whole trip!

I confess to being intimidated by guns pointed at me, and the threat of routine extortion as a part of a road trip would be worse then bedbugs as a travel deterrent! That kind of road tripping is not my cup of tea!

I looked at the pictures, and as interesting as they were, I was happy not to be there.

Dave

PS. The object of Denny's link will probably change as new stories are posted, so suffice it to note that the story relates to police road blocks in Latin America.

Yes, as luck would have it, the most recent post in the blog is one of the least inviting but even it was funny and both Tom & Jan are clearly less intimidated by guns than Dave or Denny. The preceding post was quite different. Curiously, you have to go to the archive link to find it as something else entirely appears as the previous post on the main blog page. This is the blog post that trully preceded the Nicaragua border crossing though it's a bit out of geographic sequence. It's mostly video and posting those tends to be delayed a bit.

I started following them when they were in the southwest USA and have continued through Mexico, Belize, etc. I'm sure I'll never follow in their tire tracks but it's fun to watch.

I love this line from the write up - " They must stay away from highways because the car can't go faster than 40 miles per hour."

I'd love to see their route mapped out. Might be an interesting lesson in navigating around interstates ... and really exploring the back roads....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_04.16.11_Dwight.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot where I was" __ Patty Loveless __ 'I Try To Think About Elvis'