American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Possible Civil War Brewing In Utah?

RoadDog

December 21, 2009, Salt Lake City Tribune.

Things are heating up in the state of Utah as to what to call US-Highway 6: Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) Highway or the Michael Dmitrich Memorial Highway after a retired colleague.

Recently, Utah lawmakers passed a bill naming it the latter. After the local SUVCW (Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War) notified them that it already had a name, lawmakers said they were unaware of it.

Now, there seems to be an impasse, even though the SUVCW are ok with both names being on it, as long as the GAR has top-billing.

Things are heating up in the state of Utah as to what to call US-Highway 6: Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) Highway or the Michael Dmitrich Memorial Highway after a retired colleague.

Recently, Utah lawmakers passed a bill naming it the latter. After the local SUVCW (Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War) notified them that it already had a name, lawmakers said they were unaware of it.

Now, there seems to be an impasse, even though the SUVCW are ok with both names being on it, as long as the GAR has top-billing.

Thanks for the post!

I am petitioning the Legislature to rename the Pacific Highway (US99) section near my home the “Keep the Show on the Road Memorial Route, “ B) although I don’t plan to earn the distinction by dying any time soon.

I have an aversion to the Joe Smith Memorial Highway thing whenever I see it. The legislature has a half dozen signs put up, and before they fall down, the guy memorialized is (sadly) forgotten.

I’m glad they got some constructive feedback from the GAR sons. I have a generally good impression of Utah’s attitude toward its highway heritage, so the staffers who researched this one may have goofed.

One good thing out of the dialog is the recognition that the highway is named nationally and so marked in many places. Maybe the Sons of the GAR will also raise awareness elsewhere.

So much for my soap box today! :rolleyes:

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

It has been a long time since the Grand Army of the Republic "Memorial" Highway has received this much needed attention in Utah. The GAR has the full support of the U.S. Route 6 Tourist Association. www.route6tour.com

Item of Interest:

The Association is currently in the process of making a Documentary Movie about U.S. 6. (See Attachment)

Russ Lombard, President & CEO

U.S. Route 6 Tourist Association

R6P___Rachel_Carey___Intro_1_.doc