American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!
Sign in to follow this  
WisHxGeek

World Champion Liar

Each year The Burlington Liar's Club crowns a new World Champion Liar... no little white lies will bring you this prestigious title! I am sure a lot of training goes into winning a world championship of this caliber.

Straight from AsSeenInWI.Com Blog is the story of this year's doozy:

December 31, 2009 Sun Prairie man's bank quip makes him World Champion Liar for 2009

A jab at the woes of the nation's banks has been named the top tall tale of 2009.

The Burlington Liars Club bestowed its highest award Wednesday for this line: "I just realized how bad the economy really is. I recently bought a new toaster oven and as a complimentary gift, I was given a bank."

The quip earned Larry Legro of Sun Prairie the dubious — but serious — distinction of being the year's World Champion Liar.

So, now I ask our Forum Folks... what is your favorite road trip "lie"?

On Madeline Island (WI) in Tom's Burned Down Cafe there is a sign that reads "Free Beer Tomorrow!"

Tom's Burned Down Cafe burned once many years ago and they threw a tarp over the bar and continued on... a few summers ago it burned again. Now the advertisement on the ferry for Tom's reads something like "Burned Again By Popular Demand!"

Chris

It may or may not be a lie, but my "favorite" BS coming from a local, sometimes referring to the weather or local business activity is:

"You Should Have Been Here Yesterday!"

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!