American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Heading West On The Lincoln

I'm on the Lincoln Highway headed to San Francisco. I started Saturday from the IL/IN line and got the first day's journal posted Sunday morning. I usually say something here when the first day of a trip gets posted but missed it this time. That means there are already two days posted at here with many to follow. I'm thinking that today I might reach a state that doesn't start with an 'I'.

I'm on the Lincoln Highway headed to San Francisco. I started Saturday from the IL/IN line and got the first day's journal posted Sunday morning. I usually say something here when the first day of a trip gets posted but missed it this time. That means there are already two days posted at here with many to follow. I'm thinking that today I might reach a state that doesn't start with an 'I'.

Denny,

I read Day One yesterday. Highly recommended reading!

I'll catch Day Two today.

Have a safe and fun trip!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

That means there are already two days posted at here with many to follow. I'm thinking that today I might reach a state that doesn't start with an 'I'.

Always love following along on your trips Denny!

Good luck in Nebraska! (That almost sounds like it starts with an "i".....)

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like only yesterday you posted Day 1 - and now you're safely home again. Bet this trip will remain in your memory file for a loooooong time.

Thanks for taking all of us along with you - it's been a great trip, even if we all were only able to read about it. But I guess we all wouldn't quite fit into your 'vette. :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I really enjoyed the trip report Denny, especially the parts in my neck of the woods here in California. It's always interesting to see your home turf through the eyes of someone else.

I do have to nit pick on one thing. On day 19 you posted a link to a photo that you took in San Francisco and identified it as a "fighter." Actually the plane you got a picture of was a World War II trainer knows as a T-6 Texan (the Navy called it an SNJ). The owner of the plane is Jim Thomas and the plane is based in Livermore, CA. That plane will be racing in a few weeks at the Reno Air Races in the T-6 class. With speed in the low 200's the T-6 class is much slower than the Unlimiteds, which are World War II era fighters and capable of speeds anywhere between 350-500 mph.

I really enjoyed the trip report Denny, especially the parts in my neck of the woods here in California. It's always interesting to see your home turf through the eyes of someone else.

I do have to nit pick on one thing. On day 19 you posted a link to a photo that you took in San Francisco and identified it as a "fighter." Actually the plane you got a picture of was a World War II trainer knows as a T-6 Texan (the Navy called it an SNJ). The owner of the plane is Jim Thomas and the plane is based in Livermore, CA. That plane will be racing in a few weeks at the Reno Air Races in the T-6 class. With speed in the low 200's the T-6 class is much slower than the Unlimiteds, which are World War II era fighters and capable of speeds anywhere between 350-500 mph.

So, I take a picture of a plane in California, post it five days later in association with some models in Indiana, and in six day, after reaching Ohio, I learn who its owner is. How cool is that? Thanks a bunch for the info, Rick. I've added it to the day 19 page.

And thanks to everyone for the kind and encouraging words. Websites are a lot like radio broadcasts and the "call in"s are appreciated feedback.

I've looked at most of the entries and photos. Looks like a great trip! My boys especially liked looking at all of the Corvettes.

How were the teepees? I stayed there about four years ago, but this year when passing through, I had read a lot of recent comments on-line that said they had deteriorated quite a bit with the latest owners, so we ended up staying at the Oakes Motel instead. I'm hoping the teepees still get a good review because we would like to stay there again.

Chris

I've looked at most of the entries and photos. Looks like a great trip! My boys especially liked looking at all of the Corvettes.

How were the teepees? I stayed there about four years ago, but this year when passing through, I had read a lot of recent comments on-line that said they had deteriorated quite a bit with the latest owners, so we ended up staying at the Oakes Motel instead. I'm hoping the teepees still get a good review because we would like to stay there again.

Chris

I don't think there is any significant deterioration at Wigwam Village #2 although the feeling of personal attention isn't quite the same as when Ivan Johns owned the place. The place is 70 years old and is what it is. It was filled on Friday and Saturday and almost filled on Thursday. About half of the weekend crowd was a Corvette group from Louisville. Others were in the "I've wanted to stay here since I was a kid" group. With one exception, everyone seemed satisfied with the place. The exception was a couple in the Corvette group who had not stayed there before. Many of the others had. The wife wasn't too pleased on arrival and they apparently left as soon as possible after one night. I suspect she wouldn't have liked it any better 5, 10, or 50 years ago.

The Oakes sure looks interesting. I didn't even know about it and it's even older than the long gone prototype Wigwam Village #1. I may have to give it a try next time.