American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Spring 2009 Cruise

DennyG

Continuing with Friday.

Next stop was Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis and the graves of John Dillinger (folks put coins on it, I guess because of his love of money), Pat's grandfather, 23rd President Benjamin Harrison (not that big of a monument as you'd expect), and Carl Fisher. Considering his importance for the Lincoln Highway, Dixie Highway, Miami Beach, and Montauk, Long Island, you'd think it would be marked better. All there is, is a family mausoleum with the name Fisher on it and nothing else. That should be corrected. Perhaps a job for Americn Road?

The highest point in Indianapolis is the hill in the cemetery with the grave of Little Orphan Annie poet James Riley. Nice view of downtown Indianapolis and the old US-421 alignment. The hill, Fisher, and Harrison grave are all right by each other.

I later found out that the last of Carl Fisher's big projects was the Caribbean Club Resort in Key Largo, Florida. It was designed to be a regular guy's resort. A very little bit of the film "Key Largo" was filmed here. The original building burned down, but the Caribbean Club still exists as a bar. This is always our first stop when going to the Keys. Great views and they are open almost 24 hours a day. Just the place for a welcoming cocktail.

Keys Disease, you know. "No thinking, just drinking." --RoadDog

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continuing with Friday.

Next stop was Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis and the graves of John Dillinger (folks put coins on it, I guess because of his love of money), Pat's grandfather, 23rd President Benjamin Harrison (not that big of a monument as you'd expect), and Carl Fisher. Considering his importance for the Lincoln Highway, Dixie Highway, Miami Beach, and Montauk, Long Island, you'd think it would be marked better. All there is, is a family mausoleum with the name Fisher on it and nothing else. That should be corrected. Perhaps a job for Americn Road?

The highest point in Indianapolis is the hill in the cemetery with the grave of Little Orphan Annie poet James Riley. Nice view of downtown Indianapolis and the old US-421 alignment. The hill, Fisher, and Harrison grave are all right by each other.

I later found out that the last of Carl Fisher's big projects was the Caribbean Club Resort in Key Largo, Florida. It was designed to be a regular guy's resort. A very little bit of the film "Key Largo" was filmed here. The original building burned down, but the Caribbean Club still exists as a bar. This is always our first stop when going to the Keys. Great views and they are open almost 24 hours a day. Just the place for a welcoming cocktail.

Keys Disease, you know. "No thinking, just drinking." --RoadDog

I see you've given us a challenge! This might be a job for the American Road foundation. It'll need to go to the board for consideration. . .

Thanks for the suggestion!

Best,

Becky