American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Old Us 4 Alignment In Vermont Photo

usroadman

In White River Junction, Vermont US 4 originally crossed the White River into downtown via Bridge St. Today US 4 crosses on a newer bridge about a quarter mile upriver, bypassing downtown. The new bridge has been in use since at least the 1970s.

In 1990, the old bridge, then just used by local traffic, collapsed after the spring ice undermined one of the piers, dropping a couple sections of the bridge and a few cars (but luckily no people) into the river. I stopped one afternoon to get some pictures of the collapsed bridge, and noticed that there was an old US 4 shield still standing at the entrance to the bridge.

I found these old photos over the weekend, and rescanned the one with the shield.

2188310600039645027S600x600Q85.jpg

In White River Junction, Vermont US 4 originally crossed the White River into downtown via Bridge St. Today US 4 crosses on a newer bridge about a quarter mile upriver, bypassing downtown. The new bridge has been in use since at least the 1970s.

In 1990, the old bridge, then just used by local traffic, collapsed after the spring ice undermined one of the piers, dropping a couple sections of the bridge and a few cars (but luckily no people) into the river. I stopped one afternoon to get some pictures of the collapsed bridge, and noticed that there was an old US 4 shield still standing at the entrance to the bridge.

I found these old photos over the weekend, and rescanned the one with the shield.

2188310600039645027S600x600Q85.jpg

Kind of takes you back, doesn't it! Gees, that was almost 20 years ago!

The post looks like an afterthought....almost as if a road crew didn't know what to do with the shield....or was that the "style" of posts there at the time? Hey, am I becoming a post nut?!

Thanks for the photo and description!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Hmmmmmmmm - old shield on a road to nowhere; dark night, couple crescent wrenches.................... :D

Or maybe a battery powered sawzall - top half of the post and the sign.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Hmmmmmmmm - old shield on a road to nowhere; dark night, couple crescent wrenches.................... :D

Or maybe a battery powered sawzall - top half of the post and the sign.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Although I haven't been there in a very long time, it looks from the satellite view that the bridge was replaced. I understand from others who have looked for it that the shield is long gone. I'm sure when they rebuilt the bridge they also rebuilt the approach roadway (the old wooden guardrail probably isn't up to code) and down it came.