Barbara Fritchie in Frederick, Maryland

In 1910 confectioner Ammon E. Cramer registered Barbara Fritchie Chocolates with the US Patent Office and began manufacturing candy in downtown Frederick. His sweet shoppe prospered, and in 1960 the Cramer family opened the Barbara Fritchie Restaurant along US Highway 40, staking a claim to roadside fame with a twenty-five-foot candy cane.

While Cramer’s original candy factory is long gone, that tremendous red-and-white-ringed sweet soldiers on at the Barbara Fritchie Restaurant, a beautiful throwback to the days of comfort food and comfortable eateries.