American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

There's No Place Like Home

DennyG

Proving once again that you don't always have to travel far to see the good stuff, I found the world's largest horseshoe crab less that twenty miles from home. And some guy my age was jumping over it on a motorcycle! That was on Saturday and, though I spent the rest of the weekend driving to and from the eastern edge of the state, I found nothing to top it. My Labor Day outing is posted at http://www.dennygibson.com/ld2008 and it's a great reminder that Dorothy was right.

And still another great road trip report by Mr. Gibson!!! Sort of stirs the instinct to start moving around these parts. But I just may wait another month.

Loved those covered bridges - there are a lot of them in the New England area. I noticed the "kiddies" have expressed their artistic (??) talents along the sides on at least one bridge. Greatest boon to kiddie art has to be the spray paint can. But, at least they havn't burnt the things down - yet. Several historic covered bridges in New England were destroyed in that manner - by kids deciding to have a hot dog roast under the shelter of the bridge roof. Weird idea of having fun!!!

Also found the brick over limestone (??) facade of the courthouse very nice - also the art deco style of the Monroe. I tend to think you find more of this style in the mid-west - cities tend to have the urge to build modern stuff, so the art deco beauty goes out the window.

Safe travels, Denny.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Proving once again that you don't always have to travel far to see the good stuff, I found the world's largest horseshoe crab less that twenty miles from home. And some guy my age was jumping over it on a motorcycle! That was on Saturday and, though I spent the rest of the weekend driving to and from the eastern edge of the state, I found nothing to top it. My Labor Day outing is posted at http://www.dennygibson.com/ld2008 and it's a great reminder that Dorothy was right.

Well, Denny, you are just a regular one man chamber of commerce for Ohio! You keep coming up with good stuff, and in this case right in your neck of the woods! I don't know when we had the last motorcycle jumper emerge from a wall of flame around here, but it has been a while! :huh:

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave