American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Litchfield?

RoadDog

We'll probably spend Thursday night somewhere nearer to St. Louis and play some NTN at Belleville, Fairview Hts. Thinking about crossing the CoR Bridge Friday morning.

We'll be staying at the Best Value Inn across Route 66 from the Ariston. It was a Best Western during the Route 66 days.

We'll have to get together.

I'm here. Having a great time but running around so much that trip reporting is way off pace. I may never catch up but the first day (mostly getting here) is now up at

http://www.dennygibson.com/rt66fest08/index.htm

Many familiar faces (Seeing Fran Eickhoff out & about is wonderful!) and I know they'll be more today.

I'm here. Having a great time but running around so much that trip reporting is way off pace. I may never catch up but the first day (mostly getting here) is now up at

http://www.dennygibson.com/rt66fest08/index.htm

Many familiar faces (Seeing Fran Eickhoff out & about is wonderful!) and I know they'll be more today.

Denny,

Whenever you do a write up, I have come to expect it to be great with lots of interesting details, sites, and people. This one is no exception, but my taking it for granted is wrong.

So, again, an excellent job that whets the old travel appetite. Sheila and I have the midwest down for the first trip we take together once ole Bo is gone.

Thanks again!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Met up with Denny at the authors area inside the Ford dealership. Quite a few writers in attendance, including David Wickline frpm whom I bought his new "Images of 66, Vol. II", Dave Clark (the Windy City Road Warrior) and Michael Wallis. Denny knows that I am a Prairie Dog, a Big Fan of Pure Prairie League. He gave me a copy of a Goshorn Brothers CD. T. Goshorn wrote my theme song, "Two Lane Highway" which is a PPP favorite. They often play near where Denny lives. Thanks, Denny.

Last night, they had the excellemt Beatles tribute band, the Cavern Beat. I don't know about the rest of you, but my favorite Beatles music came before Sgt. Pepper's, and this is what they played. From a distance they could have been the Beatles. Today, Kevan, a young Elvis, was on stage.

Lots of old cars as well. Good-sized crowd as well.

Good Times on the Old Double Six. --RoadDog

Met up with Denny at the authors area inside the Ford dealership. Quite a few writers in attendance, including David Wickline frpm whom I bought his new "Images of 66, Vol. II", Dave Clark (the Windy City Road Warrior) and Michael Wallis. Denny knows that I am a Prairie Dog, a Big Fan of Pure Prairie League. He gave me a copy of a Goshorn Brothers CD. T. Goshorn wrote my theme song, "Two Lane Highway" which is a PPP favorite. They often play near where Denny lives. Thanks, Denny.

Last night, they had the excellemt Beatles tribute band, the Cavern Beat. I don't know about the rest of you, but my favorite Beatles music came before Sgt. Pepper's, and this is what they played. From a distance they could have been the Beatles. Today, Kevan, a young Elvis, was on stage.

Lots of old cars as well. Good-sized crowd as well.

Good Times on the Old Double Six. --RoadDog

RoadDog,

Thanks for the report of the good times! Now I'll have to get on Napster and listen to a little music!!

Dave

...T. Goshorn wrote my theme song, "Two Lane Highway"...

Minor point but it was L(arry) Goshorn that wrote Two lane Highway. Here''s a picture of Larry at last years Cincinnati Summer of Love Reunion. In '67 he fronted a band (Sacred Mushroom) who, among other things, did park concerts with loooooog versions of Willie Dixon's "Spoonful", Little Walter's "Mean Old World", etc.

My wife and I had to make a flying trip home due to her father being seriously ill. Home for us is Hillsboro, IL, which is 10 miles east of Litchfield. We also had to leave last Thursday so she could be back here for work today. Unfortunately, her father passed away less than 12 hours after we arrived back in Washington, so she flew back yesterday...........

I went to high school in Hillsboro and my first unsupervised road trip was to Litchfield. We went to the Burger Chef, which was the original business in the building behind The Ariston in this picture.

318686784_WGVPF-M.jpg

This was taken from the intersection of IL 16 and what we knew as "Old Route 66."

The next image is of what was then the "New 66" looking south towards the IL 16 intersection.

318686713_u7tt8-M.jpg

I wish I had thought to take some pictures of the Sky View Drive-In. It was the place to go when I was in high school and I spent many Friday nights there. However, at my advanced age, I cannot seem to remember any of the movies that were showing at the time. To the best of my memory, I couldn't tell you what played there the day after........whodathunk?

Ahhhhhh the memories! It is a good thing that GTO back seats can't talk!

Ahhhhhh the memories! It is a good thing that GTO back seats can't talk!

Hutchman,

Sorry about your family’s loss.

Regarding the drive-in on Friday nights in high school…I saved money by not going at all, but saying we did! And I always enjoyed the performance. :rolleyes:

I note at the bottom of your post a little quote from Meeker. Some may not recognize him, but I certainly do. In fact we had breakfast this morning just a few hundred feet from one of the monuments he placed on the Oregon Trail…or more correctly on the imaginary (in my view) “northern branch.”

He was quite the promoter! His former home in Puyallup is quite nice, and in fact the place where my older daughter was married.

How are you coming on your Oregon Trail material? (Probably best to reply in another section, perhaps auto trails, so I am not guilty of hijacking this thread)

Dave

I wish I had thought to take some pictures of the Sky View Drive-In. It was the place to go when I was in high school and I spent many Friday nights there.

The Sky View is still operating and I even had some fleeting thoughts of checking it out on Friday night during the festival but that didn't happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Shaw's Bar now a Route 66 Place.

After the Friday and Saturday night gatherings of 66ers at Shaw's, I'd say those good folks are smitten as well.

We missed Friday's get-together as we didn't know about it, but had seen the Route 66 shield outside on our way into town and decided to check them out after that great Beatles tribute band, the Cavern Beat. Stopped at the Passport Lounge for some of the WORST karaoke ever, and were on our way to Shaw's when we espied a guy on a bicycle driving very erratically and decided not to pass him and went back to the motel.

Wonder if Denny got any alcoholic beverages from his liquor store there in Litchfield?