American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

The Final Push Is On!

RoadDog

Big Oil is in a feeding frenzy to hit the "magical" $4 a gallon mark. The FINAL PUSH has arrived.

Gas here in Fox Lake, Illinois, was $3.43 Monday, $3.52 Tuesday, $3.55 yesterday, and now it is $3.66 today!! Unbelievable. Talk about your rocket up!!!

I had to drive to nearby Mundelein tonight and saw one station at $3.70 for regular, $3.85 for premium, and $4.24 for diesel.

And yet, the govenment does nothing.

Has it jumped this much by you?

Don,

It actually "dropped" to $3.37 Thursday from $3.45 Wednesday. I've been combining a lot of things into one trip throughout the days. Instead of coming home from work and then going back out to the store, I'm doing it on the way home from work....things like that. I'm REALLY glad I bought a Civic and sold my Caprice last year!! On the bright side, my Conoco-Phillips stock is doing quite well. :happyguy:

Big Oil is in a feeding frenzy to hit the "magical" $4 a gallon mark. The FINAL PUSH has arrived.

Gas here in Fox Lake, Illinois, was $3.43 Monday, $3.52 Tuesday, $3.55 yesterday, and now it is $3.66 today!! Unbelievable. Talk about your rocket up!!!

I had to drive to nearby Mundelein tonight and saw one station at $3.70 for regular, $3.85 for premium, and $4.24 for diesel.

And yet, the govenment does nothing.

Has it jumped this much by you?

I paid $3.69 for premium this week in STL County. No alternatives but to (1) stop cruisin' (2) buy a used 4-cylinder roller skate for city errands (3) do more turnarounds than overnights (4) other?

It's not gonna stop so we just gotta deal with it....Bliss

I paid $3.69 for premium this week in STL County. No alternatives but to (1) stop cruisin' (2) buy a used 4-cylinder roller skate for city errands (3) do more turnarounds than overnights (4) other?

It's not gonna stop so we just gotta deal with it....Bliss

The average price in San Francisco is expected to hit $4 this weekend. I'm in the suburbs 45 miles away and I paid $3.79 yesterday. It's a good thing I only have to fill up every couple of weeks.

Roadhound Not Us Much

Memphis/Millington area, while I was out and about, gas prices range from $3.30-$3.38 for regular; $3.45-$3.52 mid-range and $3.60-$3.75 for premium. Diesel stands at around $4 everywhere.

There IS something we can do about it as follows:

1) Vote in a new administartion in November and hope THEY do something;

2) Everybody change their driving habits - not likely to happen as we Americans ARE going to do our thing and price be damned;

3) Shoot the speculators that are driving oil prices to Mars (well, it's a thought!!);

4) Truckers go on a National strike. Shut down the trucks and something's gonna happen real quick. Tha't's probably more of a possibility than 1 and 2. The independent truckers are already starting to park their rigs in some places. But as long as the trucking industry can pass on the added cost to us (we've felt it in the grocery store already) it'll be a while before a national strike happens.

The pot may come to a boil Memorial Day weekend. That's the first big travel weekend of the summer season and traditionally gas prices go up like a rocket powered elevator. I suspect prices will go over $4 a gallon and it should be interesting to see what happens. Motel owners should start burning their motels for the insurance money shortly.

I bought two gallons of gas for my lawn mower the other day - the gas is worth more than the mower!!!! :D

For myself - well, I go do all my errands on Friday, if possible. Rest of the week the car sits. I've got several road trips planned out around the area, but am putting those on hold for a while. I will still do pet transports - I have one to Brinkley, AR, on Sunday. That's about 125 mile round trip. But it's well worth it to help some pup get out of a bad situation and go on to a new and more loving (hopefully) home. And sometimes I can make a road trip out of it - like coming back from Brinkley I can use U S 70 (parallels I-40) so little, if any traffic to worry about.

Everybody take care and safe traveling.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Memphis/Millington area, while I was out and about, gas prices range from $3.30-$3.38 for regular; $3.45-$3.52 mid-range and $3.60-$3.75 for premium. Diesel stands at around $4 everywhere.

There IS something we can do about it as follows:

1) Vote in a new administartion in November and hope THEY do something;

2) Everybody change their driving habits - not likely to happen as we Americans ARE going to do our thing and price be damned;

3) Shoot the speculators that are driving oil prices to Mars (well, it's a thought!!);

4) Truckers go on a National strike. Shut down the trucks and something's gonna happen real quick. Tha't's probably more of a possibility than 1 and 2. The independent truckers are already starting to park their rigs in some places. But as long as the trucking industry can pass on the added cost to us (we've felt it in the grocery store already) it'll be a while before a national strike happens.

The pot may come to a boil Memorial Day weekend. That's the first big travel weekend of the summer season and traditionally gas prices go up like a rocket powered elevator. I suspect prices will go over $4 a gallon and it should be interesting to see what happens. Motel owners should start burning their motels for the insurance money shortly.

I bought two gallons of gas for my lawn mower the other day - the gas is worth more than the mower!!!! :D

For myself - well, I go do all my errands on Friday, if possible. Rest of the week the car sits. I've got several road trips planned out around the area, but am putting those on hold for a while. I will still do pet transports - I have one to Brinkley, AR, on Sunday. That's about 125 mile round trip. But it's well worth it to help some pup get out of a bad situation and go on to a new and more loving (hopefully) home. And sometimes I can make a road trip out of it - like coming back from Brinkley I can use U S 70 (parallels I-40) so little, if any traffic to worry about.

Everybody take care and safe traveling.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I'm trading the lawn tractor in on four sheep. (not a real well accepted idea in cattle country, sheep that is) We keep about 6 acres around the house mowed and I think the sheep will do quite nicely........ :)

When you live 9 miles from civilization as we do it's a no brainer to minimize trips to town, we've always been compelled to keep the trips down to two or three a week. Just takes a bit of planning ahead and buying what you need for several days at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

I know'd it, I know'd It, I Know'd It.

A station here in Fox Lake, Illinois, had premium gas at $4.03. They are still one of the places that pumps your gas though, so I guess you're paying for the convenience.

One station is at $3.66 and the others at $3.70.

• 3 weeks later...

Gas here in Fox Lake, Illinois, near the Wisconsin border was $3.92 ($3.91.9) at the "cheapest" stations and $4 (3.99.9) at others. Can anybody say $4?

• 2 weeks later...

Gas here vaulted over the $4 mark yesterday. Big Oil gets what they want.

Gas here in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin is $4.10 (that's 4.09.9). The lowest I saw was $4.06 and most was $4.15.

Thanks a lot Big Oil.

I think they've pushed it as far as they dare and should see prices falling in the next several weeks and, who knows, perhaps back to the "bargain" $3 mark by election time.

At least they're not still putting up $3.99.9 and acting like that is not $4.

Gettin' Poorer Every Fill Up. --RoadDog

Gas here vaulted over the $4 mark yesterday. Big Oil gets what they want.

I think they've pushed it as far as they dare and should see prices falling in the next several weeks and, who knows, perhaps back to the "bargain" $3 mark by election time.

At least they're not still putting up $3.99.9 and acting like that is not $4.

Gettin' Poorer Every Fill Up. --RoadDog

Definitely prices will be back down to the $3 to $3.25 range by election time - Republicans will crow how they got prices down. And us dumb Americans will say "Ain't that great - vote them back into office and prices will go lower!!!" Right.

I'm spending my kids inheritance on gas and groceries these days.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

• 2 weeks later...
How do you know when Big Oil is LYING?

When their noses start growing like Pinochio???? Of course, if that's the criteria I can think of a lot of politicians who should stay out of elevators.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN