American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

We're Try To Plan A Colo Motorcycle Ride For Next Spring.

patphoto2001

We'll start our spring 2008 ride from Albuquerque. Once we're leaving Albuquerque on the bikes, we are ready to enjoy. We have relatives in both Drango and Denver we hopefully will be able to include for a brief stop, but it's not a main priority. We just want to ride and see some neat stuff, and think no doubt Colo has a bunch, but need to find out about it as we don't really know. Hopefully somewhere someone has done a "colo motocycle tour" we can take advantage of too.

Any ideas where to find this "colo tour" I'm looking for?

Thanks

Well, there are so many things to ride and see in both areas. Nothing "tour" wise that

I am aware of, a lot of charity rides, but nothing that hits all the areas that you are looking at.

I suggest riding out up through Farmington, Ship Rock, Four Corners into Durango.

Take 550 out of Durango and go over Red Mountain Pass, it is awesome on a bike, down

into Ouray, (stop for an ice climb or a hot dip in the hot springs there), head out to Montrose,

Take US 50 East into Gunnison and over Monarch Pass. (if you are interested in Ghost Towns,

this stretch has a ton of them, suggest you pick up a guidebook on this), into Salida.

I would take 285 North and run into US24 near Buena Vista, (if you are up for rafting, the

Arkansas River along this stretch is the best in Colorado, a lot of great guided trips here)

Take 24 into Leadville and stay here, so much history in this area, Visit Camp Hale north of Leadville,

a WW2 Training camp for the 10th Mtn Division.

From here, you can take Hwy 91 into Copper Mountain, which hits I-70, Great Snowmobiliing in this

area around old mining roads. Take I - 70 into Dillon area, get off US Hwy 6 and head up over the

Continental Divide - it is an awesome site to be on top of the world on a two lane road.

As you come down the mountain past the ski areas, you have to get back on I-70 a bit, but

can get off at Bakerville, back onto Hwy 6 and head down the mountains into old mining towns

such as Silver Plume, Georgetown, Idaho Springs which have musuems, trains, great food, and

beauty to see. US Hwy 6 runs into Hwy 40 and take Hwy 40 as much as you can as you come

down the Mountain. You eventually have to get back on I-70 here and there.

As you head down on I-70, something cool to see is Buffalo Bill's grave near Lookout mountain.

You can take Lookout Mtn Road all the way down with views to die for into Golden, CO - home of

Coors where a great brew tour is available. Keep following US 40 and take it into Denver, it turns

into Colfax Avenue, and still one of the longest main streets in America.

From Denver south back to Abq - I will email this at a later date.

We'll start our spring 2008 ride from Albuquerque. Once we're leaving Albuquerque on the bikes, we are ready to enjoy. We have relatives in both Drango and Denver we hopefully will be able to include for a brief stop, but it's not a main priority. We just want to ride and see some neat stuff, and think no doubt Colo has a bunch, but need to find out about it as we don't really know. Hopefully somewhere someone has done a "colo motocycle tour" we can take advantage of too.

Any ideas where to find this "colo tour" I'm looking for?

Thanks

I don't know much about Colorado so looked this over for future reference. I recognized a few names like Four Corners, Ouray, & Gunnison, but that's about all. In poking around the web, I discovered that the route Willy suggested between Durango & Ouray (US-550) is part of something called the San Juan Skyway. This whole area looks really cool and I wish I was planning a ride through there next spring. Someday.

I don't know much about Colorado so looked this over for future reference. I recognized a few names like Four Corners, Ouray, & Gunnison, but that's about all. In poking around the web, I discovered that the route Willy suggested between Durango & Ouray (US-550) is part of something called the San Juan Skyway. This whole area looks really cool and I wish I was planning a ride through there next spring. Someday.

Hey Denny...

Thanks for the info..