American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

1926 Yellowstone Trail Sign, Campground, & Guide

Recently the Yellowstone Trail traveler, Dusty Rustyford, noted the great section of the Yellowstone Trail that still exists from the summit of Snoqualmie Pass (Washington) down the western slope past the Denny Creek campground. He also mentioned seeing the Yellowstone Trail arrow on that section some twenty years ago, which is not far from the campground.

That sign still exists, and I think his recollection is important. If that sign was there 20 years ago, in about 1987, it was before the interest in the old auto trails was rekindled by the likes of our John Ridge. It therefore seems unlikely that some latter day aficionado took it upon himself to paint that marker, and lends credibility to its authenticity (at least in my mind).

Thanks Rusty! Here's the sign as seen this last spring (May, 2007).

ARYTSign.jpg

I have posted at HistoricalRoadMaps.Com the Washington and Idaho sections of the 1926 Hobbs Guide to the Yellowstone Trail. I have also posted a section of one of those pages here. Note the reference to Denny Creek Campground...”a fine site.”

ARHobbsYTPg3.jpg

If anyone wants the rest of that guide through to Chicago posted, rattle my chain with a post here.

Rusty, thanks again for the update!

Keep the Show on the Road!

• 2 weeks later...

The painted arrow marker at that particular location is also noted in the book Snoqualmie Pass, From Indian Trail to Interstate, published in 1981 by The Mountaineers. On pages 151-152 is a brief history of the marking of the Yellowstone Trail route west from the summit by W. Warwick, shortly after the Yellowstone Trail Association was incorporated.

The painted arrow marker at that particular location is also noted in the book Snoqualmie Pass, From Indian Trail to Interstate, published in 1981 by The Mountaineers. On pages 151-152 is a brief history of the marking of the Yellowstone Trail route west from the summit by W. Warwick, shortly after the Yellowstone Trail Association was incorporated.

Dusty,

That is terrific information, further authenticating that marker!! Frankly, I have had doubts that the marker was original (being a born doubter), but who in 1981 was "forging" Yellowstone Trail markers? I dare say it wasn’t worth their time. Ergo, it makes an even stronger argument for its authenticity. Great research! Bravo!!

PS. Now can you athenticate the marker at Rosilia? :D

• 6 months later...
Start your engines and prepare for another exciting summer of exploring the Yellowstone Trail and other lost highways! I'll be exploring across Eastern Washington! - Dusty Rustyford

Dusty,

Terrific!!! We will be watching, waiting, and looking for your reports!

Hope we cross paths out there! Any specific plans yet?

Dave