American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Fun Quiz On Interstate Bridges

Larry F.

On the US DOT's FHA Highway History webpage is a fun seven-question quiz about interstate crossings of the Mississippi River. I got 5 of 7 correct: I didn't know much about the southern crossings!

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/msriverquiz.cfm

On the US DOT's FHA Highway History webpage is a fun seven-question quiz about interstate crossings of the Mississippi River. I got 5 of 7 correct: I didn't know much about the southern crossings!

So did I!!! Got the first two wrong - then I said to heck with it and did some WAG's. Got 5 in a row right. LOL ROF LLAM LMAO

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Add me to the people who got five right. I missed the ones about the bridge that carries the highest number (in my defense, everyone I know calls it the Luling Bridge) and the number named after members of the House of Representatives. I definitely don't pay attention to the names of bridges.

Tracy

I got 4 right. All were WAGs.

Roadhound

I did the quiz today and got 5 of 7 correct, or 71%. Like you guys, some of my answers were WAGs. As far as blue highways are concerned, without looking; how many rivers (all alignments) does historic route 66 cross between Chi and Santa Monica?. I don't know the answer either....Bliss

how many rivers (all alignments) does historic route 66 cross between Chi and Santa Monica?. I don't know the answer either....Bliss

Wow. Interesting thought, but what comes to my mind is how shall we define "river"? Seriously, does it always have to have flowing water? How large? Or shall we go just on some official designation of river? In the loosest definitions, I would guess hundreds are crossed by Rt 66. With a tighter definition, it may be less than 100. I surely don't know! Good question! Thanks

Wow. Interesting thought, but what comes to my mind is how shall we define "river"? Seriously, does it always have to have flowing water? How large?

To me, a "river" is any body of water or river bed that is officially designated as being a river on a map or in an atlas or has a road sign designating "river" at the actual crossing. Most will have flowing water but some might be temporarily dry. There may be fewer of these on 66 than initially thought....Bliss

• 2 months later...

Heh. I'm another one who got 5 right:) I'm not up on the names of the bridges:) But I know about the north-south slabs that cross Ole Man River:)