American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Another One Bites The Dust

DennyG

In Vandalia, Ohio, the Crossroads Motel was recently closed. People in a neighboring business (It was a bar AND grill, I'll have you know.) said the owners failed to make repairs dictated by the city so water and electric services were cut off. It's one of those motels that is too close to home for me to have ever stayed there and I really don't know much about its history. It was there in the 1960s though I don't know if it's any older than that. Although faded, it always looked reasonably well maintained and, even now, the grass is mowed. The inside must be a different story.

A distinguishing characteristic is the large octagon shaped office. The motel is barely a quarter mile from I-75 and less than a mile from where the National Road once crossed the Dixie Highway.

I've put a couple of pictures from yesterday in my forum gallery.

Wow, based on the pictures in the gallery you took of it , it sure didn't look in bad shape. Another one lost recently was the "Wilsonian Motel" on US 31 in Greenwood, Indiana. Surrounded by sprawling retail, I knew it wouldn't be long for this world, and the construction equipment in the parking lot a few weeks ago confirmed that. Ahh, but I'm sure somewhere a non-descript corporate box motel is opening its doors for $70 a night, and the world will be less of a place for it. :angry:

• 3 years later...

I'm resurrecting this 2 1/2 year old topic to show some of the dust that was bitten. I drove by today and found the place completely leveled. Pictures from today show the slabs that once held the circular office and one bank of rooms. Apparently there are no current plans for a replacement since a sign says the site is available for commercial or industrial use. The April 2007 pictures are here and here.

Yikes.... Such a shame that place is gone. The place looks good in the 2007 pics. Too bad someone didn't take over and make a go of it.

Reminds me of a small hotel on IL RT 64, near I-39. I don't know it's history, but for as long as I can remember, the place sat there, with a block of rooms obviously burned in a fire, and a 1978/9 Ford Thunderbird parked near one of the rooms. The rest of the place looked intact. Then, all of a sudden, sections of it went "missing"/were torn down. Not sure if any of it is left now; I haven't been out that way in about a year. I do remember, though, that the 1978/9 Ford Thunderbird was still there last time I saw it.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* 06/2011.RT=us66+NW USA*

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"So many people have come and gone; their faces fade as the years go by" ... Boston ... 'More Than A Feeling'