American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Us 40 "our National Road" Across Ohio

etchr66

I recently had an opportunity to drive US 40 across the state of Ohio. It was a fun and interesting drive. I wrote a little bit about my experience and posted some pictures in my "For Namesake" Blog here on American Road. Look for the entry titled "Dublin Ohio plus US 40 "Our National Road Across Ohio.

Safe travels,

etchr66

Etch,

Thanks for the visit to Dublin....Ohio. I enjoyed the photos, especially the one with you at the "controls!!'

And now I know more about Dublin than I ever dreamed I would :happy2: ! Oh, I enjoyed the service station shot as well! Those were the days!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I subscribe to the blog so was aware of your Ohio visit but had not quite got around to congratulating you on experiencing a bit of this really cool state. :D

The AF Museum really is an amazing place. Of course, Dayton is is pretty much chock full of history of flight related stuff. As you say, the Ohio section of the National Road is definitely fun and interesting and the guide that Doug Smith & Glenn Harper did is consistently held up as what a road guide should be. Plus we've got Pikes Peak, Dixie, Lincoln, and other historic roads as well. Come on back for the Dublin Irish Festival sometime. It's a dandy. And when you do, check out the Field of Ears (six foot tall ears of corn) a couple of miles south of Chief Leatherlips.

Dave and Denny,

Thanks for the feedback. I have driven the Lincoln Highway across Ohio before and now US 40 across the state. That clearly is only a beginning of what Ohio has to offer the roadie in all of us. I will for sure need to come back again someday. I would love to drive the Dixie Highway and have that on my list of roads to travel.

Thanks Jim. We really enjoyed the drive on US 40 in Ohio. We also drove US 40 across the eastern part of Indiana, from the state line to Indianapolis. We only had 2 days on this trip to do the drive from Wheeling, West Virginia to Indianapolis. That was enough to see the main things but not enough to see everything mentioned in the Ohio US 40 guide by Doug Smith and Glen Harper. That is a wonderful guide and makes for good reading even if you can't drive the actual road.

We had a great stop at the Our National Road Welcome Center just across the border in Richmond, Indiana. The lady there was very helpful and gave us a guide they had done on what to see on Our National Road in Indiana. There is another Madonna of the Trail there in Richmond.