American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Denny, I will give you a hint. You drove past it on Day 14 of your most recent trip and this well might be in the background on one of the photos you took, at the least the photo was take very close to where this well sits.

Strangely enough, El Graces had entered my mind yesterday because of the fence & palm trees but it was just a passing thought. Sadly, I know nothing about a well in Needles.

You gave me enough clues to figure it out but I had to go to the EZ66 Guide to get the well story. So, the answer you patiently guided me to, is Essex, CA, and the significance of the well is that it was established by the Automobile Club of Southern California for free use by motorists. I haven't found a date for it, though.

Good work Denny, you get a star for the day. Since I didn't state the date the well was constructed in my question we will leave that for the bonus round but since I haven't been able to find the date either I don't know the correct answer.