American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Day Road Trip: Exploring!

knightfan26917

If you haven't explored your area ... driving roads or being a "tourist" to see what you find ... I highly suggest you take time to DO IT. And, yes, that includes myself.

I've mentioned before how I explore the back roads west of my home town when I'm driving my Monte Carlos. I've discovered some neat, secluded areas (particularly long stretches of back roads!), as well as some interesting short cuts. This time, a day before my birthday, my Aunt Chris and I went for a drive to explore some areas in central/western/northern IL.

Our trip (Sunday, 09/18/2011) was preceded by a conversation we had this past spring. We were talking about the drive out to Mt Morris IL, particularly when IL RT 64 was partially closed for road construction, ~8 years ago. At the time, part of the detour around the construction area took us on a long stretch of back road where we watched a farm house turn into a "castle". We wondered if the house had ever been completed ... and, if so, what it looked like today. So ... we decided to go check it out. I was quite disappointed to see it unfinished and abandoned.

We also went to Byron IL, Durand IL, Freeport IL and Lena IL, taking mostly back roads between towns. We only hit I-39 coming back home.

Some pics from our adventure...

...Lindenwood IL, looking at the farmhouse with the "castle" addition to the back and both sides:

GoWest_wAC_09182011_27_LindenwoodIL.jpg

...Lindenwood IL, the house and barn:

GoWest_wAC_09182011_25_LindenwoodIL.jpg

...Lindenwood IL, part of the "castle" addition:

GoWest_wAC_09182011_02_LindenwoodIL.jpg

...NE of Byron IL, haunted house:

GoWest_wAC_09182011_03_NEoregonILrt2.jpg

...Durand IL:

GoWest_wAC_09182011_05_DurandIL.jpg

...Lena IL, museum:

GoWest_wAC_09182011_23_LenaIL.jpg

...Lena IL, Stagecoach Trail:

GoWest_wAC_09182011_22_LenaIL.jpg

...Freeport IL, Little Cubs Field, marque:

GoWest_wAC_09182011_19_FreeportIL.jpg

...Freeport IL, Little Cubs Field, Harry:

GoWest_wAC_09182011_14_FreeportIL.jpg

...Freeport IL, LIttle Cubs Field, scoreboard:

GoWest_wAC_09182011_08_FreeportIL.jpg

If you want to see all of the pics, I have 'em on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2457510359364.2146820.1300282613&l=145446f357&type=1

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.models.RadioShows.legos.HO.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You never know all the riches you own 'till someone takes them away" __ John Schneider __ 'Take The Long Way Home'

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a number of local drives here in the Memphis area digging out old alignments of U S 51 and U S 61. Trouble is there isn't a whole lot of things to provide pictures - unless you like shots of corn and cotton fields!!!! :rolleyes:

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I've done a number of local drives here in the Memphis area digging out old alignments of U S 51 and U S 61. Trouble is there isn't a whole lot of things to provide pictures - unless you like shots of corn and cotton fields!!!! :rolleyes:

LOL! Actually, Alex, I do!

I know that issue, though ... lots of "boring" stuff out west of where I live, where I drive my cars. I've come up with SOME good shots, but just not too much "picturesque". Then again, someone else driving into the area for the first time might vehemently disagree with me....

*shrugs*

I don't have any good pics of my hometown. It's tough to be a "tourist" in one's own area, but I need to take time to do that. In the meantime, a friend sent me this video, which is a good "snapshot" of Elgin IL:

I've shared plenty of pics I've taken of area roads west of Elgin, but here is one I took this year during cruise nights. It is Rookie's in Elgin, along Randall Rd ... a "new" area of town:

2011cruisNites_0724_01rkies.jpg

Then, on Sunday, 10/02/2011, I "toured" a bit more, and took these 8 shots as I drove my cars:

...Plato Center IL, an old truck advertising a business on Dittman Rd:

MISCexplore100211_1_dittmanRdBusiness.jpg

...Campton Hills IL, Burlington Rd at IL RT 47, which connects Route 66, the Lincoln Highway and US RT 20:

MISCexplore100211_2_ILrt47.jpg

...E of Sycamore IL, IL RT 64:

MISCexplore100211_3_ILrt64W.jpg

...Sycamore IL, Speedway:

MISCexplore100211_4_ILrt46sycamoreSpeedway.jpg

...Sycamore IL, IL RT 23:

MISCexplore100211_5_ILrt23N.jpg

...N of Sycamore IL, farmhouse along IL RT 23:

MISCexplore100211_6_ILrt23home.jpg

...N of Burlington IL, pond along Baseline Rd:

MISCexplore100211_7_baselineRdPond.jpg

...Burlington IL, old schoolhouse (1872) along Ramm Rd:

MISCexplore100211_8_rammRdOldSchoolhouse1872.jpg

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.models.RadioShows.legos.HO.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Don't you remember?" __ Starship __ 'We Built This City'

• 2 weeks later...

I've explored a bit more (big surprise)...!

ELGIN-SPECIFIC...

pics are few (if existent at all) from me also partly because I don't like driving around town in traffic; I prefer the "back roads".

...10/15/2011, downtown Elgin IL, EPD, Douglas Ave:

MISCexplore_1_ElginIL_Douglas.jpg

...10/15/2011, downtown Elgin IL, Highland Ave at Douglas Ave:

MISCexplore_2_ElginIL_HighlandAtDouglas.jpg

BACK ROADS...

are ripe for exploring. They don't see much traffic (making it easy to stop and take pics) and "hide" interesting things.

...10/09/2011, Burlington IL, Allen Rd:

MISCexplore_3_BurlingtonIL_strippedFarmAllenRd.jpg

...10/09/2011, Plato Center IL, Muirhead Rd at Plank Rd:

MISCexplore_4_PlatoCenterIL_colorsPlankAtMuirhead.jpg

RR PATHS...

are created when old train tracks are torn up. I've taken/shared pictures of different RR tracks along roads, so now 2 pics of one such bike/pedestrian path on a former RR line.

...10/09/2011, Sycamore IL, path along IL RT 64 at Peplow Rd, looking W:

MISCexplore_5_SycamoreIL_bikePath64atPeplowLookW.jpg

...10/15/2011, Sycamore IL, path along IL RT 64 at Peplow Rd, looking E:

MISCexplore_6_SycamoreIL_bikePath64atPeplowLookE.jpg

OLD ROADS & ABANDONED PLACES...

are fascinating. Old roads connect the country, hold history (especially abandoned places) and have some cool people along them. I've taken/shared pictures of both, particularly along Route 66 and the Lincoln Highway.

...10/09/2011, Sycamore IL, abandoned 64 Motor Court, next to the Sycamore Speedway:

MISCexplore_7_SycamoreIL_abandoned64motorCt.jpg

...10/09/2011, Hampshire IL, Allen's Corner Restaurant along "old road" US 20 [travels through Elgin IL via "bypass" & "business" versions], which I've driven on the East AND West coasts during my last 2 road trips (next 2 pics)...:

MISCexplore_8_HampshireIL_AllensCornerUS20.jpg

...07/07/2011, near Eddyville OR, traveling west on "old road" US 20 on my Coast-to-Coast Road Trip:

11RT364_0706_OR_US20W.jpg

...08/08/2010, near Brimfield MA, traveling east on "old road" US 20 on my Nor'Easter Trek Road Trip:

10RT151_MA_0808_USrt20east.jpg

* PRE-SURGERY PARTY = ~5:30p-10:30p, Saturday, 10/29/2011 at Beef Villa, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"Don't make it hard on your heart" __ Tanya Tucker __ 'If It Don't Come Easy'

A few more exploratory pics, starting with a recent pic I took of my nephew. Talk about an explorer! It's hard to believe he will be 3 in a few weeks:

NephewTime_10162011.jpg

...Melms Rd, Hampshire IL:

MISCexplore_A_HampshireIL_FarmMelmsRd.jpg

...Ramm Rd, Burlington IL:

MISCexplore_B_BurlingtonIL_RammRd.jpg

...Plato Rd, Plato Center IL:

MISCexplore_C_PlatoCenterIL_PlatoRd.jpg

...US RT 20, Elgin IL:

MISCexplore_D_ElginIL_RT20.jpg

...Nesler Rd, Elgin IL:

MISCexplore_E_ElginIL_NeslerRd.jpg

...Spring St, S Elgin IL:

2011cruisNites_0604_02bfVla.jpg

...IL RT 47, Morris IL:

123_SpringFlingMnG_04162011_CaddyHearseForSale.jpg

...Lincoln Highway, Franklin Grove IL:

212_MayMadnessMnG_05212011_LincolnHwNtnlHdqrtrs.jpg

...Route 66, Pontiac IL:

11RT044_0627_IL_Pontiac_RT66museum.jpg

* PRE-SURGERY PARTY = ~5:30p-10:30p, Saturday, 10/29/2011 at Beef Villa, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"Your friends have shown a kink in the single life" __ The Raconteurs __ 'Steady As She Goes'